Winter transfer window 2020/1

barry'sboots

I can't imagine much will happen this window. The practicalities of lockdowns I just think will have a few more players willing to hunker down for the season. Any signings that do happen, won't be until the last few days of the month I reckon. 

2 minutes ago, Rodders said:

I can't imagine much will happen this window. The practicalities of lockdowns I just think will have a few more players willing to hunker down for the season. Any signings that do happen, won't be until the last few days of the month I reckon. 

Imagine there will be some issues with agents and players traveling across borders to negotiate and sign contracts and do medicals. Most of Europe has closed it's borders to England for the time being.

Sure they will find ways round it but it won't be as smooth as in a normal year.

19 minutes ago, Rodders said:

I agree. The only signings that could happen quickly are between Prem clubs. Zinchenko looks like he’s on his way out of Man City and would be great option at LB / competition for Targett.

1 hour ago, sne said:

Barcelona for example. He's #1 on Koemans list apparently, but £5m is probably still too expensive for them due to their financial situation

Well, I think we’d struggle against the pull of a Barcelona! On a serious note, though, our stock and attractiveness is surely rising rapidly? We’ve got one of the leagues best players (if not THE best) who is probably the most talked about player currently, we’ve got the standout result this season (beating Liverpool 7-2),  with our games in hand we could move to 2nd in the league, a mere one win off top spot, and we play with a swagger. What’s not to like about us right now?! 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, OxfordVillan said:

Well, I think we’d struggle against the pull of a Barcelona! On a serious note, though, our stock and attractiveness is surely rising rapidly? We’ve got one of the leagues best players (if not THE best) who is probably the most talked about player currently, we’ve got the standout result this season (beating Liverpool 7-2),  with our games in hand we could move to 2nd in the league, a mere one win off top spot, and we play with a swagger. What’s not to like about us right now?! 

As a Villa fan I absolutely agree. Outside of the UK and to most active players I think we are pretty much an unknown still thou.

But we should be a lot easier to sell to players and agents compared to 12 months ago.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Brentfordnylons said:

With all due respects please piss off 😉

:D He is scoring, I am already sold and he is from our favorite club to buy players from. 

Lets buy him for 40 million, and you can get a better one for 10 as you usually do :( 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

3 clean sheets in a row. 7 on the season. Only Manchester City have conceded less goals than we have. 

Ok but the statistics of goals scored don’t change the fact that the ball goes to easily though the defensive midfield positions.

I am pretty confident that will show by the end of the season.

Personally I think we may have reached a position where we should just take advantage of opportunities of the right player for the right price without pressing need of position. An example of that would be buying Max Arrons or Buendia that were available for 20 million in the summer.

Not the most pressing need but a good use of money.

1 minute ago, paul514 said:

Personally I think we may have reached a position where we should just take advantage of opportunities of the right player for the right price without pressing need of position. An example of that would be buying Max Arrons or Buendia that were available for 20 million in the summer.

Smith has said multiple times that he doesn't want to stockpile players. They may replace some players from the squad like Engels, but their plan seems to be to buy starters, not squad players. I'd really like Zinchenko or Basham in the summer, as they can cover multiple positions. It'll be interesting how they approach the next transfer windows now that we have a pretty good and obvious first 11. 

46 minutes ago, Villa Stu said:

What about anguissa and oxlade chamberlain?

I'd love Anguissa. Unfortunately he wont be going anywhere in January. Fulham also supposedly spent £30m on him so I don't think they'd let him go cheap.

I wouldn't be surprised if Jose went for him in the summer to replace Sissoko. He'd just have to coach out a few attacking instincts.

19 minutes ago, paul514 said:

we should just take advantage of opportunities of the right player for the right price without pressing need of position

The thickest logic perhaps i've ever heard.

Its real money we're talking about, not monopoly

Buy where we actually need it.

Zinchenko would probably be first choice left back for us and first choice central midfielder, obvisoulsy he couldn't play both positions but think he'd be in our starting eleven every week.

Last I heard he was being linked to Wolves, he nearly joined them a couple of seasons ago but Man City called the deal off at the last minute.

2 minutes ago, useless said:

Zinchenko would probably be first choice left back for us and first choice central midfielder, obvisoulsy he couldn't play both positions but think he'd be in our starting eleven every week.

Last I heard he was being linked to Wolves, he nearly joined them a couple of seasons ago but Man City called the deal off at the last minute.

I like Zinchenko but no way is he starting in midfield ahead of Doug, McGinn, Barkley, then Jack as another option.

Might push Targett out after a while but he will not sign and start.

I think he'd be a good signing.