Ross Barkley

LondonLax

• 4 months later...
Just now, Zatman said:

3 goals no assists in 11 games. He is hardly looking brilliant

If I were Ross I'd be saying 3 goals in 2 games in 2023, and that's across a total of 90 minutes of football. That's three goals a game.

Break out the YouTube highlights because Chelsea need a goal scorer and Ross is back baby.

• Haha 2

• 4 months later...
11 minutes ago, Tom13 said:

Being released on a free.

He actually struggled for minutes as well - 27 league apps, averaging just 34 minutes per app! (according to Transfermarkt).

Wow his career is going downhill fast. Not even 30. You could see him regressing even at Villa. 

Honestly think if Emery had this guy, he would shape him up quickly and get him to a level which resembles something like the player we saw a decade ago. Same for Deli Alli and other players who seem to have taken a downturn. not saying we should go in for him or anything, but Emery will have the ability, analytical skills and most importantly diplomacy/management skills to be able to do this. At one point when he was on loan with us he was doing very very well then took a sharp downturn. Have to say i think if we signed him when we had the chance he might have done alright here

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, Tom13 said:

Not sure even Emery could do that, there's something missing with Barkley mentality wise.

Completely agree. Emery is a highly skilled football coach, he's not a psychologist.

• Like 1

What are these mentality problems? Is there any evidence of that, or is that the go-to explanation when a player falls off?

I think his game has been shattered by injuries. Kind of like Coutinho, his game revolved around that initial burst of pace to get by players and shoot from range.

He was already a shadow of the Everton Barkley when he came to us but still pretty decent, but that hamstring injury against Southampton dropped him a further level still. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Tom13 said:

Not sure even Emery could do that, there's something missing with Barkley mentality wise.

The hunger has gone now he’s rich (like Dele Alli).

Edited by Genie

4 hours ago, Keyblade said:

What are these mentality problems? Is there any evidence of that, or is that the go-to explanation when a player falls off?

I think his game has been shattered by injuries. Kind of like Coutinho, his game revolved around that initial burst of pace to get by players and shoot from range.

He was already a shadow of the Everton Barkley when he came to us but still pretty decent, but that hamstring injury against Southampton dropped him a further level still. 

Even in his earlier Everton days, I remember some fans saying he lacked something that was allowing him to influence games as much as he should have been doing.

Barkley is a gobshite who had some talent and wasted it, countless opportunities to get his career on path and couldn't be bothered.

One of the very few players I don't like and don't have any sympathy for.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Tom13 said:

Being released on a free.

He actually struggled for minutes as well - 27 league apps, averaging just 34 minutes per app! (according to Transfermarkt).

Not really surprising.

He definately wouldn't have lasted two minutes under Emery.

Â