Ross Barkley

LondonLax

I remember when we first signed him being surprised by the degree of the postive reaction here, not because I thought he was a bad player or bad signing, but because I remember him getting lampooned on this site quite often. It felt to me that people were so desperate for a big name signing, a signing to show that we'd reached another level, that they were over inflating what a good signing Barkley was.

• Like 1

I meant before he had played a game for us when he first signed, the reaction here was very postive, which as I say surprised me because if you look at people's opinion of Barkley on here before he signed for us it wasn't very complimentary at all.

Edited by useless

I never rated him before he got here, then his first few matches made me feel stupid, then the rest of the season made me feel stupid for feeling stupid.

Despite some of the hyperbole, I don't hate Ross. I wish him well and hope he finds his form. I'm just glad it won't be here, that he is looking for it.

Edited by Villan_of_oz
  • Like 1

I rate him. I also think he has a mental blockage that stops him from being at his best sometimes. Such a shame, a RB playing at even 80% of his best would be a must have for us. Sadly I think he’s been a 50-60% player most of the time.

39 minutes ago, TheMelvillan said:

Fairly unsurprised by this article. From day 1 he came across as an arrogant, superior spoiled clearing in the woods. Even before he came to villa I never liked his demeanour on or off the pitch. 

Which was surprising, given that Smith and Purslow seemed to put so much emphasis on character as part of their recruitment philosophy. 

I still can't help thinking he had a bad case of covid  - the difference after the break was noticeable. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, TheMelvillan said:

Fairly unsurprised by this article. From day 1 he came across as an arrogant, superior spoiled clearing in the woods. Even before he came to villa I never liked his demeanour on or off the pitch. 

I never got that impression. Just that he seems a little introverted.

33 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

Still waiting for that message of thanks for the loan opportunity on social media from him.

Give him time. He's still recovering from his recent bender

• Haha 1

On 24/05/2021 at 07:48, Villan_of_oz said:

I never rated him before he got here, then his first few matches made me feel stupid, then the rest of the season made me feel stupid for feeling stupid.

Despite some of the hyperbole, I don't hate Ross. I wish him well and hope he finds his form. I'm just glad it won't be here, that he is looking for it.

Exactly the same for me.  At the time, I was underwhelmed and I would definitely have preferred Loftus-Cheek but, like you, I thought we had got the Ross of his last season at Everton - the Good Ross.  Unfortunately, like much of his disappointing career, the Good Ross didn't last for very long.  By the end of his loan spell there was something very wrong with him imho.

To me, it seemed like such a drastic change in form.

The first few games, especially working with Jack, he was awesome. 

After his injury, he didn't seem to regain his rhythm, and he was more a liability.

Sorry it didn't work out, but I don't think Villa is the right fit for him. 

I still believe Barkley has a few proper years in him. However he needs a good coach, and perhaps some mental coaching. It seems to have taken a toll on him. He was good before injury and Covid (He has to be one of those who had it?). Then he fell off a cliff. Wish him all the best, didnt work out here unfortunately in the end.

37 minutes ago, Vancvillan said:

Which current Prem team do you think would be interested in him now? I think he looks like a huge gamble at this point.

Palace or Newcastle I would say.

Other football now anyway and no longer our problem now that he's returned to Chelsea.

Â