Ross Barkley

LondonLax

The one thing you can guarantee about Ross, no matter where he ends up, is that he will always save his one good performance of the season, to when he plays against us, culminating in at least 1 goal. Fact!

On 23/05/2021 at 21:14, useless said:

I remember when we first signed him being surprised by the degree of the postive reaction here, not because I thought he was a bad player or bad signing, but because I remember him getting lampooned on this site quite often. It felt to me that people were so desperate for a big name signing, a signing to show that we'd reached another level, that they were over inflating what a good signing Barkley was.

I agree, I definitely noticed the same reaction back then. I feel like the reaction to Drinkwater was bizarrely positive too. 

4 minutes ago, Laughable Chimp said:

I agree, I definitely noticed the same reaction back then. I feel like the reaction to Drinkwater was bizarrely positive too. 

The AMC coming in to play off Jack and offer him an out ball by playing in the space created by teams doubling up on jwck

An experienced CM coming in and settling down Luiz, Nakamba and McGinn who were all playing in their first PL season and look jittery for large periods of it also made sense

Unfortunately those 2 players were Barkley and Drinkwater... Filling the roles though 100% made a lot of sense 

On 31/05/2021 at 09:04, Vive_La_Villa said:

Would be surprised if a Premier league team took a chance on him unless it was for a very low fee.  Wouldn't surprise me if he ended up in the Championship like Jack Wilshere.

Tbh I don't think he has the mobility even for the Championship. Quite sad really. Loan to a European club perhaps.

4 hours ago, sne said:

To be fair have we thanked him for his services either? I've a feeling there is no love lost there. 

• Like 2

Good loan really. Gave us points and helped us understand whether he would be a good fit long term or not , as it turns out not. Villa have done well here imho.

My bet is Ross stays where he is. I just dont see why he would accept a pay cut to move and who could afford him? 

• Like 2

I dont see the problem, he was a dud signing and in the end we didnt end on good terms. I dont really want him back and if he didnt like his time here then thats it

• Like 1

Everyone saying he had covid yet he started all of Man. City, Newcastle, Burnley, Southampton, West Ham and Arsenal when he came back. That's 6 games in 17 days.

The only one we seem to know had covid for sure was Trez and he wasn't involved v Man. City and then was a late sub for all those games above so that's more what you do to ease someone back into playing after having it. Seems bizarre if DS was basically just ignoring medical advice to start him every 3 days and I just don't believe that to be the case.

I think it's more him losing rhythm and confidence in his hamstring after injuring it first minute v Brighton and being out for two months. Could see many times in games he was reluctant to run and really go full felt with dribbles just in case it went.

He had some good games early on for us...but also thought he was pretty poor in the Leeds and Southampton games so was also element of that, struggling to cope v likes of West Ham and Brighton who can quickly press and close down when he was on the ball.

On 31/05/2021 at 09:08, M_Afro said:

The one thing you can guarantee about Ross, no matter where he ends up, is that he will always save his one good performance of the season, to when he plays against us, culminating in at least 1 goal. Fact!

Unless he's injured which is always more likely than not.

Â