Ross Barkley

LondonLax

Considering the shite we've had in recent years he isn't that high up in the list of poor signings. He at least gave us glimpses, good luck to him. He was a talented youngster but like Dele Alli you don't know what goes on in players lives and how difficult it is to stay top of the game. Luton could do far worse even if this is considered to most as scraping the barrel.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Keyblade said:

Wonder what we could've achieved that season if he didn't get injured against Southampton. Him and Grealish together were electric in that brief period. Seen a clip doing the rounds on Twitter of the two of them toying with Rob Holding which traumatized Arsenal fans 😂

Yes Barkley was decent in his first 5-6 games bar a no show at home to Leeds.

Got injured after about 20 seconds v Brighton and never got things going after which is where the frustration kicked in as he was supposed to step up when Grealish got injured given his experience but didn't.

I don't get the negativity towards Luton, they badly need some premier league experience and him and Nakamba is o.k considering their budget. He was starting regularly for us (no idea where he was in 21/22 season) and then played about 20 games for Nice last season so he isn't quite in semi retirement yet.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Mantis said:

I suppose this is a bit of a lucky dip signing. Probably won't work out but you never know.

This years Lingard though Barkley might have slightly more about him

He’s one of those players who’s skill set doesn’t really suit the modern game anymore. His strengths are running at pace with the ball and shooting which suit playing counterattacking football with minimal press from the opposition (e.g the PL about 10 years ago).

His weaknesses are press resistance, his passing and his off ball/defensive work all of which are essential qualities for a midfielder these days in the high pressing game.

He suits the Gerrard/Lampard era of Hollywood passes and worldies which we’re well past now 

1 minute ago, Thug said:

Lazy Lazy player that doesn't belong in the premier league.

Utterly bizarre signing for a team that will need all hands on deck.

A team like luton can not afford to carry a player.

Their business has been excellent , Barkley won’t physically be able to start every premier league game I don’t know if he’s ego can handle being subbed off or left on the bench? I do think he’ll score some important goals for them I just hope for their sake he’s grown up a bit.

51 minutes ago, gwi1890 said:

Their business has been excellent , Barkley won’t physically be able to start every premier league game I don’t know if he’s ego can handle being subbed off or left on the bench? I do think he’ll score some important goals for them I just hope for their sake he’s grown up a bit.

It’ll be the same old Barkley.  He’ll look good for a few games then revert back to form.

Some players you just know what they bring to the table.  He’s not going to get his hands dirty.  
He might score a couple of crackers, but that will not compensate for the fact that Luton will be playing with 10 men 90% of the time he’s on the pitch.

Awful signing.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Bump. One of the inform midfielders in the league recently. Fan favourite at Luton this season. Pleased for him, never felt it was lack of application or ability, just confidence. He wasn't a total waste of space like some players we've had. 

8 minutes ago, VillaAlex said:

Bump. One of the inform midfielders in the league recently. Fan favourite at Luton this season. Pleased for him, never felt it was lack of application or ability, just confidence. He wasn't a total waste of space like some players we've had. 

Yeah he started his season great for us, got injured and could not recover his form and fitness. Jacob Ramsey then offered more legs towards the end of the season.

• Like 1

Just like so many others who shine at a mid table club, get snapped up by a top 4 club and then struggle for game time and lose their love / edge for the game. He looks like he is loving being the main man and his performances are starting to be really good again. Rob Edwards has given him belief in himself again

Fair play to him. I don’t want him back here but I’m happy to see any talented youngster discarded by a top club get their career back on track - it must be really disheartening to know you’re probably done at the very highest level, so I think it needs a certain mental strength (or love for the game) to not end up in a career spiral.

2 hours ago, MWARLEY2 said:

Just like so many others who shine at a mid table club, get snapped up by a top 4 club and then struggle for game time and lose their love / edge for the game. He looks like he is loving being the main man and his performances are starting to be really good again. Rob Edwards has given him belief in himself again.

Nope, he was the laziest waste of space to pull on a villa shirt in years. He didn't shine much at all.

He was garbage in his time with us.

Fair play he's doing well for Luton but, Christ alive, he was shite for us.

Edited by jimmygreaves
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, VillaAlex said:

Lack of confidence? Geezer though he was Pele, never seen someone put in so many shit performances be so enraged and shocked at getting subbed.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, jimmygreaves said:

Nope, he was the laziest waste of space to pull on a villa shirt in years. 

He was good until around early December, I can't remember if the injury came first or after the drop off but he had a few weeks out and then just out right never returned, the drop off made me think that behind the scenes we'd told him we weren't making the deal permanent and he stopped giving a shit and went off the rails, seemingly followed by boozing unprofessionalism and then some downright disgraceful showings 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

He was good until around early December, I can't remember if the injury came first or after the drop off but he had a few weeks out and then just out right never returned, the drop off made me think that behind the scenes we'd told him we weren't making the deal permanent and he stopped giving a shit and went off the rails, seemingly followed by boozing unprofessionalism and then some downright disgraceful showings 

He got injured in his 5th game for us. Was right after we battered Arsenal

39 minutes ago, jimmygreaves said:

Nope, he was the laziest waste of space to pull on a villa shirt in years. He didn't shine much at all.

Totally agree. He is doing well now. He did well as a youngster. Was crap for us. Apart from Liverpool and Southampton games 

Â