Bertrand Traoré

Delphinho123

44 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

This is clearly the plan

I think that would be a bit weird considering how good he is in the final third roaming from the wing. And didn't some Villa podcast bloke who were connected say we were after a new number 8? What's the plan then? Bench McGinn?

Think the plan is to let him be a one-trick pony cutting in on his left but with the added bonus of Cash bombing on, providing the right-sided option for the cross.

With Trez and El-Ghazi, there's no quality left-sided option to shoot or cross on the right-hand-side. Neither are right-wingers imo and their best games have come from the left for us, so they are a bit hard done by in that regard.

Nonetheless, Traore won't be starting against Fulham surely. 40 mins of competitive footy since March. Would also send out an awful message to Trez, who played a big part in keeping us up, is fitter, has a great attitude.

3 hours ago, gilbertoAVFC said:

Think the plan is to let him be a one-trick pony cutting in on his left but with the added bonus of Cash bombing on, providing the right-sided option for the cross.

With Trez and El-Ghazi, there's no quality left-sided option to shoot or cross on the right-hand-side. Neither are right-wingers imo and their best games have come from the left for us, so they are a bit hard done by in that regard.

Nonetheless, Traore won't be starting against Fulham surely. 40 mins of competitive footy since March. Would also send out an awful message to Trez, who played a big part in keeping us up, is fitter, has a great attitude.

But Trez is also shitter...  I don't want him anywhere near the first team squad this season, unless we run out of U23 wingers to sub on in place of him...

• Like 1

5 hours ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

I think that would be a bit weird considering how good he is in the final third roaming from the wing. And didn't some Villa podcast bloke who were connected say we were after a new number 8? What's the plan then? Bench McGinn?

Might be more of a free role for Jack. A bit like how he played against Burton in the cup.

Get the front three he's after, then two hard working centre mids (mcGinn and Luiz) to sit behind Jack and give him the luxury to roam across the pitch.

McGinn hasn't been the same since his injury. I thought he looked pretty awful on Monday. So I don't think it's out of the questions for Smith to be looking to add to that area of the pitch, at least providing some competition.

No.  It was Gregg Evans who knows **** all.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KMitch said:

But Trez is also shitter...  I don't want him anywhere near the first team squad this season, unless we run out of U23 wingers to sub on in place of him...

Absolutely mad that anybody can think he is not worthy of a place in the squad at least. What the hell are people expecting of players who will primarily be subs? Baffles me.

• Like 2

That sounds like a Glaswegian vagrant.

spacer.png

• Haha 2

25 minutes ago, gilbertoAVFC said:

Absolutely mad that anybody can think he is not worthy of a place in the squad at least. What the hell are people expecting of players who will primarily be subs? Baffles me.

That they're Premier League standard? What's more baffling is that just because he kicked the ball in the net a few times (respect btw Trez because they were important goals) people ignore the fact that he either a) loses the ball every time or b) does absolutely nothing with it.

Edited by Rolta
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, Rolta said:

What's more baffling is that just because he kicked the ball in the net a few times (respect btw Trez because they were important goals) people ignore the fact that he either a) loses the ball every time or b) does absolutely nothing with it.

People ignore the fact he does nothing... except kick the ball into the net at important moments?

Sounds a pretty good guy to have on the bench, even if you don't want him starting.

• Like 1

Have the rules of football changed? Most successful passes? Most dribbles past someone? 

Ah yes scoring goals. If you've got it you've got it. It's good to have a player who has a knack of scoring to come on and well score. Trezeguet is good enough for our bench atm. If we suddenly get 2 better wingers than him he'll be moved on or carrying the water bottles.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Panto_Villan said:

People ignore the fact he does nothing... except kick the ball into the net at important moments?

Sounds a pretty good guy to have on the bench, even if you don't want him starting.

It's kind of missing the point though. More or less anyone can kick the ball in the net. I don't like writing that because it obviously takes more—composure, skill and so on and I am grateful for the goals he scored. But those goals were made by other people—he was the beneficiary of other people's delivery. Again, it took skill and he finished well (I think he'd be more useful as a striker for all these reasons) but as a winger, he comes on and it looks like we're playing with a man less and that's going to be the case if he's starting or if he comes on as a sub. We need more than that. Scoring those goals doesn't mean we wouldn't have been in a better position overall with an alternative player more suited to this level. I'd argue with massive confidence that Trezeguet playing so often was a huge reason why we looked pretty shit most of the season and why we were in so much trouble.

Ultimately, he had some moments—individual kicks of the ball—but we need to improve and we need to have better options coming off the bench—how about a winger who doesn't lose the ball every time he gets it?

He's not good enough at all for the Premier League. Scoring those goals doesn't change that (again respect Trez for the goals).

He's a cult figure, but that's it.

Edited by Rolta

1 hour ago, Rolta said:

It's kind of missing the point though. More or less anyone can kick the ball in the net. I don't like writing that because it obviously takes more—composure, skill and so on and I am grateful for the goals he scored. But those goals were made by other people—he was the beneficiary of other people's delivery. Again, it took skill and he finished well (I think he'd be more useful as a striker for all these reasons) but as a winger, he comes on and it looks like we're playing with a man less and that's going to be the case if he's starting or if he comes on as a sub. We need more than that. Scoring those goals doesn't mean we wouldn't have been in a better position overall with an alternative player more suited to this level. I'd argue with massive confidence that Trezeguet playing so often was a huge reason why we looked pretty shit most of the season and why we were in so much trouble.

Ultimately, he had some moments—individual kicks of the ball—but we need to improve and we need to have better options coming off the bench—how about a winger who doesn't lose the ball every time he gets it?

He's not good enough at all for the Premier League. Scoring those goals doesn't change that (again respect Trez for the goals).

No one is debating we needed to improve on Trezeguet (who might be better after his first season, never know), but not many clubs in our position have Premier League quality players on the bench anyway. We have spent money, but you can't expect to have better players than Trezeguet on the bench to be honest.

He is, I'll say it again, better on the left - as is El Ghazi.

Should we just sell everyone from last season that hasn't completely convinced and take a punt on some others? I do not understand what people expect, or how they can possibly expect better than Trezeguet on the bench. He works hard, he is decent on the break, he is not bad at finishing or crossing, and will surely get better!

22 minutes ago, LxYoungAVFC said:

If you ever thought Trez was frustrating you haven't seen this guy yet. He'll create chances for himself and others but he'll get dispossessed more often than not. Still, I'm excited.

Haha I think you are right. I watched a You Tube video earlier as I hadn't seen much of him playing football ever, and immediately thought he will split opinion on VT. He will drive some people on here crazy, and he will polarise opinions. He is very left footed, and sometimes looks a bit on the clumsy side, but equally can leave a defender for dead.

1 hour ago, LxYoungAVFC said:

If you ever thought Trez was frustrating you haven't seen this guy yet. He'll create chances for himself and others but he'll get dispossessed more often than not. Still, I'm excited.

The frustrating thing about Trez is that he can't do basics right...  He has terrible control, a poor first touch, and his decision making is atrocious, but Villa supporters love a tryer.  I don't get how some on here said Trez "looks like a footballer" but are slating McGinn for being shit for over a year now...

Give me a natural footballer who needs to sharpen his decision making and stop being selfish with poor chances over a workhorse with no brain or natural skill who occasionally gets lucky goals but does fook all the other 80% of the time.  THAT's why I'm glad we've signed Traore and why I don't like Trezeguet.  He's got a much higher ceiling than Trez.  

6 minutes ago, KMitch said:

The frustrating thing about Trez is that he can't do basics right...  He has terrible control, a poor first touch, and his decision making is atrocious, but Villa supporters love a tryer.  I don't get how some on here said Trez "looks like a footballer" but are slating McGinn for being shit for over a year now...

Give me a natural footballer who needs to sharpen his decision making and stop being selfish with poor chances over a workhorse with no brain or natural skill who occasionally gets lucky goals but does fook all the other 80% of the time.  THAT's why I'm glad we've signed Traore and why I don't like Trezeguet.  He's got a much higher ceiling than Trez.  

lol what? Trezeguet gets plenty of shit on here and plenty were okay with us selling him during the summer despite how important his goals were for us whilst Mcginn gets excused a lot on the "he wasn't fully fit" excuse.

Edited by Laughable Chimp

3 hours ago, Rolta said:

Fair enough. To be honest I think I'd have to go back and watch all of his goals to see how much of the goal he created in each case to see how persuasive I find your argument though, because I'm not sure I remember enough about them to judge it properly right now.

Â