Bertrand Traoré

Delphinho123

Just now, sir_gary_cahill said:

Why do you say that Paul33?

Just watching various You Tube clips and reading comments from those who have watched him in recent seasons ...... who, of course, may just be bitter about his departure. Talk is of inconsistency and lack of confidence which was Green's big issue. Like I say, hope I'm wrong and even if I'm right then who is to say a good manager and coaching team can't bring the best out of him.

9 minutes ago, Paul33 said:

Really, really, really hope to be proved wrong on this one but I fear Traore could be this year's Summer Donkey signing ...... everything about him suggests a new Andre Green !

street fighter 90s GIF

• Haha 4

1 minute ago, Paul33 said:

Just watching various You Tube clips and reading comments from those who have watched him in recent seasons ...... who, of course, may just be bitter about his departure. Talk is of inconsistency and lack of confidence which was Green's big issue. Like I say, hope I'm wrong and even if I'm right then who is to say a good manager and coaching team can't bring the best out of him.

Same concerns I have, but I'm slightly further up the optimism scale as I do think we have a setup now that is in a much better shape to deal with these challenges. 

He's also played champions league football and for top teams across Europe so got to believe his natural ability is a step beyond what Green's was/is. 

• Like 1

If he can't play tonight because of international clearance, then I hope we at least bring him onto the pitch at half-time to give the fans in the stadium a boost.

:trollface:

• Haha 2

I hope his pace stretches the opponent meaning more space for Grealish to work in and take on defenders. He may well be best described as mercurial. He may frustrate but also deliver on occasion. 

Hopefully we can get a level of consistently good production out of him and if we do will prove to be good value. 

24 minutes ago, Shomin Geki said:

Yeah, this is far more succinct and pointed than what I've stated.  I absolutely believe this is what Smith is aiming for, broadly speaking.  However, I guess I'm focusing somewhat beyond a general systematic approach, essential as that is.  I think there are two relevant factors to consider.

Firstly, as much as I was thrilled at Villa's gung-ho sturm und drang in many of the early Premier League games, Smith obviously felt the need to modify that later on, including the experiments with more of a 532 and the greater emphasis on defence and organisation post-restart.  He's frequently mentioned both himself and his team learning as they go along, experience, perhaps for himself as much as his players, a key virtue.  What I'm curious about, or maybe simply excited and intrigued (which may have given the impression of a greater sense of concern than was intended), is the intended ceiling of what is very much a work in progress.  Villa didn't click as they might have last season and some of our best work has been more reactive and shrewd, and less aggressively assertive.  The question I find intriguing is, I guess, that gap between what our expectations are if we flourish as fruitfully as intended, and what Smith and co can do to mould us appropriately as we undergo several further baptisms and challenges. 

We're still a relatively new, 'ungelled' machine and we've seen that ambitious intentions don't necessarily work out as Smith would like in reality.  I believe him and his team, still learning, still thinking somewhat on their feet, have a certain, deliberate, maybe even necessary, in-built flexibility and I'm curious to see how this is exercised.  You sometimes got a sense of what Villa were really trying to do last season, but not always accomplishing, and there was a more cautious, conservative application at times.  I think what I'm wondering is how far we will go in fulfilling our obviously exciting potential.  I know we're a massive side but I still find it impressive, if not a little daunting, how bold our approach seems to be for something of a new kid on the block.  If we didn't quite do a Fulham last year, who or what exactly are we doing?

And secondly, clearly a lot of thought and planning has gone into our recruitment.  Real attention to detail, and seemingly a decent array of voices considered too.  The focus on personalities, for example, team cohesion, Smith's mantra of 'being a good teammate', coupled with a more data-driven approach, strikes me as refreshingly progressive, maybe even bold and daring.  It's certainly not the conservatism of a solid, rigid system, 'playing the percentages', or a reliance on big names or proven quality.  We don't, to our absolute credit, seem to be doing things 'the easy way', if indeed there is an 'easy way' to get things done in our current position.

I'm not sure what a typical Smith Villa player is at this moment.  I'm intrigued by what a quintessential Smith Villa move, or goal, would look like.  The fact that there are discussions about what the best position for Luiz might be, or indeed Watkins or Traore, leaves plenty of work for us to watch unfold.  Work I'm nervous about us accomplishing but very excited to see attempted.

Working Comedy Central GIF by Drunk History

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Paul33 said:

Don't see the comparison.

Green:

2D632A4B-EB9D-4F44-A4B1-9A5773A7D5F9.jpeg

Traore: 

C8B68A95-044B-45F8-A0E6-FE8E30C229FA.jpeg

Edited by Jas10
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, MrBlack said:

Same concerns I have, but I'm slightly further up the optimism scale as I do think we have a setup now that is in a much better shape to deal with these challenges. 

He's also played champions league football and for top teams across Europe so got to believe his natural ability is a step beyond what Green's was/is. 

I’d say a few hundred steps...

36 minutes ago, gwi1890 said:

Not in the squad tonight bit disappointed but understandable, hope to see him in the cup v Bristol City 

Didn’t sign in time to play! He needed to have signed by 12pm on Friday but missed it.

Â