Emiliano Martínez

hippo

25 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Constant change in the Keeper department is so bad for a football club.

If there is one position you need consistency it's your number 1.

We've had so many keepers over the years. 

To be fair we finally had that keeper until he got injured. Before that we just kept signing crap keepers.

• Like 3

Get the feeling Reina's impact towards the end of the season may of sold Smith on getting another keeper in. I like Heaton and I'm sure Smith does too, but the benefit of having a keeper that is confident with the ball at their feet was very evident with Reina. He could pass through a press in to midfield, he could loft a pass over a forward to a fullback, he gave us more ways out, it just made it harder for teams to pen us in. On the flip side of that I remember in the Spuds game at the start of the season, Heaton was launching balls to El Ghazi on the left wing and most went straight out of play, you can't just surrender territory like that in the Premier League.

I haven't seen a lot of Martinez to see how good he is with his feet, but I've read and watched few interviews and he certainly see's his game as more than just shot stopping.

Seems a lovely bloke though, look forward to seeing what he can do! 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, mjmooney said:

This makes interesting reading - every Premier League goalkeeper from last season, ranked by % shots stopped.

At #28 (and last) is Nyland.

At #1 is Martinez. 

Interesting and surprising that Heaton only comes in at 18th. I understand that this doesn’t tell the whole story plus Martinez only started 8 games, so that’s only a small sample statistically but on the face of it this is a big leap forward in the GK department for us. 

Â