Emiliano Martínez

hippo

8 minutes ago, hippo said:

Phew - so relived this one is finally done.  Highly rated - but if he can replicate his form from Arsenal then we have our best keeper since Bosnich on our hands. Sure we only have a short span of games to judge him on - however if had performed that over 2 or 3 seasons - you could probably more than treble the asking price ....

He could be even better, Bozzie couldn’t kick for shit

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, skarroki said:

That’s a wonderful interview, we’ve signed an excellent player and an excellent person too. I’m sure he’ll be made to feel very welcome here. 

Just out of interest, has anyone got a copy of the Fabian Delph farewell interview? 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, KevinRichardsonsMoustache said:

Christ, what an utter gentleman. If you're a professional, that's how you want to conduct yourself: loved by fans when you leave a club, respected by fans of your new club. A class act.

Absolutely. Got a bit emotional myself watching that. Hey, I'm getting on a bit...

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, The Fun Factory said:

Friedel was really good, it was just the fact that he was never going to be a  long term option as he was old. Fair play to him he kept himself fit and was playing for Spurs into his 40s.

This has just reminded me, there's a guy I work with who talks about Villa like he knows a lot, but regularly shows he's a bit out of touch.

He asked me at the end of last season who I thought we'd get in goal now that Friedel's loan has ended.

• Haha 3

7 minutes ago, Jas10 said:

Don’t worry lads, we’ll be buying another GK next season too when Heaton wants out! 😂

Not likely at his age, there’s obviously concern about his injury holding. I’m sure he will be happy to have a last night pay day and warming the bench. Don’t get me wrong good keeper and what a guy to have around and to teach others but I sense his career is on the downhill now.

So our mainstays for the next few seasons could/should be:

Martinez

Mings (maybe Konsa alongside him if keeps improving but we may get a superior CB in)

Cash?

Luiz 

Grealish

Watkins 

1/2 new wingers?

And we will continue to add quality around them and have competition for places. Was tempted to list McGinn too but don’t think he’ll be an automatic choice unless he’s on top form & clear of injuries. We may yet enhance the MF and only a few players will be guaranteed starters...

If we get our transfers right this time we may not need to spend so heavily in future unless it’s on 1 or 2 genuine star players...

10 minutes ago, DaveAV1 said:

That’s a wonderful interview, we’ve signed an excellent player and an excellent person too. I’m sure he’ll be made to feel very welcome here. 

10 years at any club is a long time, I agree though, we will make him feel part of the furniture in no time.

• Like 1

I think Heaton was always a short term signing I think we originally planned for Heaton to be replaced next season but his injury sped that timeline up which I think was a blessing on disguise. This summer both ramsdale and Martinez were available for reasonable fees and I don't think any keepers of their caliber will be available next season. I think Heaton will be a good influence on martinez as well having an older more experienced keeper there will be good for his game even though he already seems to be amazing.

Â