Emiliano Martínez

hippo

4 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

I can't believe arsenal let him go. 

Surely they must have seen in training how good he was/is? 

Bottom line was their priority. He was easier to sell than Leno . Its what happens when a football club is run as a business and nothing more

2 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

They saw it in the first team when Leno got injured, he stepped up and did what he's done for us, they still didn't deem it enough.

14 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

The only thing I can think of, besides the money side, was that they simply thought he was going through a bit of a purple patch (which even many mediocre goalkeepers do from time to time) and that he'd revert to average in no time, which of course never happened.

I get the pessism in general, he was standout in the games he played for Arsenal. Good enough to take a punt on Im not sure.

But those performances is exactly what he does now. Where did he come from, why did no one see it? I kind of struggle to blame Arsenal. Hes perfect for us, I love him and I think he loves us. 

5 hours ago, samjp26 said:

He knew Bruno would take it, but he tried to make him feel small by telling Ronaldo to take it. It worked. Guys an absolute machine, beyond his theatrics/mind games, the way he comes out for the ball, the way he commands his box. I never shit myself at set pieces any more, never worry about daft goalkeeper antics, he’s an absolute monster between the sticks and he loves it here too. I genuinely have never loved a squad like this, starting from the #1 down to our back up defenders.

Best keeper in the world.

You're spot on about when the opposition get free- kicks around the box. This fella just gives you an unbelievable sense of security. 

15 minutes ago, Kuwabatake Sanjuro said:

They needed to raise funds for Partey (who I think disappeared off the face of the earth or something)

That just highlights everything wrong with them though rather than justifying the sale. A year later they buy Ramsdale for an initial £24m fee. Ramsdale is a million miles away from the level of Martinez. Surely Leno had the higher reputation at the time if they wanted to shift a keeper. 

• Like 1

My good mate is an Arsenal fan and used to be a goalie in his younger days and he was gutted when they sold him. Said from the start he was much better than Leno and couldn’t believe they were letting him go. 

It was a hard one to stomach for Arsenal fans at the time and even more so now. Kind of like a Cahill situation for us but even worse since Leno didn’t cut it and they’ve had to buy Ramsdale. 

One of our best signings in recent history.  Really hope his with us for years to come.  It wouldn’t even surprise me if him and Messi lead Argentina to a well over due World Cup victory.  

6 hours ago, villarule123 said:

I used to scoff at people last season who said he was our best GK since Bosnich.

Best since? He won a Copa America and the match today via mind games. He's already our best PL keeper and already ahead of Bosnich.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, R.Bear said:

Best since? He won a Copa America and the match today via mind games. He's already our best PL keeper and already ahead of Bosnich.

Not sure I’d say he’s better than Bosnich quite yet, he needs to do it over a few seasons and win some trophies, but the potential is there.

Hes very similar to Bosnich in his shot stopping and getting in the ears of opposition players, gives the defenders confidence. Both are very confident but they do it differently.

Â