Emiliano Martínez

hippo

This week has been Martinez's coming out party. Even the most casual football fan knows about him now. I'm not sure we can even afford what his wage should be for his next contract. A Top 5 GK makes on average in excess of £200K per week. May have to just enjoy him while he is here. 

11 minutes ago, Rightdm00 said:

This week has been Martinez's coming out party. Even the most casual football fan knows about him now. I'm not sure we can even afford what his wage should be for his next contract. A Top 5 GK makes on average in excess of £200K per week. May have to just enjoy him while he is here. 

Or we could put a generous offer that's within our budget on the table and tell him he want him to take us to Europe and help us compete for trophies. 

I don't think we should underestimate the importance of us being the club to put faith in him and help him establish himself as Argentina #1 which he has proven is very important to him. He must know that if he goes to a top club to compete with a Mendy or Alisson or Ederson, he risks losing that spot.

He's guaranteed to start every game for us when fit and available, which isn't necessarily the case elsewhere. He's tasted life at a "big club" that didn't consider him automatic #1, and he didn't like it.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, est1874 said:

Or we could put a generous offer that's within our budget on the table and tell him he want him to take us to Europe and help us compete for trophies. 

I don't think we should underestimate the importance of us being the club to put faith in him and help him establish himself as Argentina #1 which he has proven is very important to him. He must know that if he goes to a top club to compete with a Mendy or Alisson or Ederson, he risks losing that spot.

He's guaranteed to start every game for us when fit and available, which isn't necessarily the case elsewhere. He's tasted life at a "big club" that didn't consider him automatic #1, and he didn't like it.

Jordan Pickford and Kasper Schmeichelmakes make roughly £100k a week.  I guess we could offer around their but honestly that's still an insulting offer for a keeper as talented as Emi. We probably need to come in around 200k but even then that puts Emi over a 100k less than De Gea who he is easily on par with from a talent perspective. 

If he goes to the World Cup and performs even just half the heroics we see every week then he will be a guaranteed starter for any club in the world. The big clubs if Europe can offer him everything we can and wages that would give us a nose bleed even thinking about. Love the guy but given his current trajectory he is probably the next big money sell. 

1 hour ago, Rightdm00 said:

Jordan Pickford and Kasper Schmeichelmakes make roughly £100k a week.  I guess we could offer around their but honestly that's still an insulting offer for a keeper as talented as Emi. We probably need to come in around 200k but even then that puts Emi over a 100k less than De Gea who he is easily on par with from a talent perspective. 

If he goes to the World Cup and performs even just half the heroics we see every week then he will be a guaranteed starter for any club in the world. The big clubs if Europe can offer him everything we can and wages that would give us a nose bleed even thinking about. Love the guy but given his current trajectory he is probably the next big money sell. 

Every player is not Gresford though, and not so easily swayed tbh.

3 hours ago, Delphinho123 said:

Jimenez will be a bigger miss to Wolves than Martinez will be for us (I think). They don't score many goals. 

i might have agreed, until i saw Steer in goal versus Chelsea.

image.png.a5469413a8a5a8273927d18c0e7bdbef.png

11 hours ago, WallisFrizz said:

Might not have to quarantine at all if he is double jabbed. 

Apparently only 7 Premier League clubs are more than 50% double jabbed. It's an awful ratio and hopefully we are one of those 7.... But the odds would say he's likely not jabbed as the majority of the league aren't.

But yes, hopefully he is and hopefully this saves him since quarantine

13 hours ago, Rightdm00 said:

While I agree, I don't necessarily think that the clubs who could afford to spend what Martinez will command (both in transfer fee and wages) particularly need a goalkeeper. A lot of those goalkeepers appear set long term.

It was a bit bizarre to hear him linked to Atletico a few months back given they have Jan Oblak, arguably the greatest keeper in the world at the moment, who is younger than Emi. 

It's not like City buying our best player to be their 6th top quality attacking midfielder. Teams don't need 2 top quality goalkeepers.

Edited by ThunderPower_14

Â