Emiliano Martínez

hippo

4 minutes ago, rodders0223 said:

I just don't want to be hypocritical. I hate time wasting. I hate when teams come to VP and I spent money to watch them spend 20 minutes of the game taking dead balls and throws.

Do I love Emi? Yes. Do I secretly deep down want him to do this yesterday? Yes.

I was muttering to myself kill the game lads. Like I was against Stevenage. Kill the game take the replay.

But....but.....but.....Emi should have been sent off yesterday. He knows the line because there is no line. The ref wasn't going to do it. He took the piss. Took the piss some more. Took the piss some more. Got booked. Then continued.

It's not Emi. It's all football. At some point a precedent needs to be set.

i was watching Emi before the game yesterday in the tunnel and he was having a nice little conversation and a laugh with the ref before the game, he knows what he is doing.

• Like 4

18 minutes ago, burchy said:

I think Emery had a word with hiM about when to release the ball as well as he waited right until the pressing player was right on him to release it meaning they had a bigger gap to chase to get to Mings/Konsa. Really noticed it yesterday and it helped beat the press. 

Still a work in progress playing out from the back but I saw a definitely improvement. 

I noticed this as well, they seem to be getting it. They are also quicker to decide where it's going. The issue is the pass into midfield, Kamara was the only real option which led to long balls which we couldn't hold onto, or turning back across the defence. We need more movement into space in the midfield.  

Martinez is unbelievable, just having him on the pitch is a boost for us all, a world cup winner. His saves will grab the headlines, two of them, but his presence in the box (on the edge of it) is superb. 

He looks like a world class player , he looks like the best keeper in the Premier League. 

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, rodders0223 said:

I just don't want to be hypocritical. I hate time wasting. I hate when teams come to VP and I spent money to watch them spend 20 minutes of the game taking dead balls and throws.

Do I love Emi? Yes. Do I secretly deep down want him to do this yesterday? Yes.

I was muttering to myself kill the game lads. Like I was against Stevenage. Kill the game take the replay.

But....but.....but.....Emi should have been sent off yesterday. He knows the line because there is no line. The ref wasn't going to do it. He took the piss. Took the piss some more. Took the piss some more. Got booked. Then continued.

It's not Emi. It's all football. At some point a precedent needs to be set.

Clock management is a part of every game though, in American Football you run down the clock , in basketball ( the opposite ) you foul stop the clock from running in rugby you keep possession of the ball then boot it to row z when the clock reaches 80 mins.

1 hour ago, burchy said:

I think Emery had a word with hiM about when to release the ball as well as he waited right until the pressing player was right on him to release it meaning they had a bigger gap to chase to get to Mings/Konsa. Really noticed it yesterday and it helped beat the press. 

Still a work in progress playing out from the back but I saw a definitely improvement. 

Yeah noticed that. Both him and Konsa were waiting til the very last moment before releasing it. I get it, but it sure makes me nervous, especially when the balls are getting played right against the goal line

4 minutes ago, blunther said:

Yeah noticed that. Both him and Konsa were waiting til the very last moment before releasing it. I get it, but it sure makes me nervous, especially when the balls are getting played right against the goal line

I’m hoping I get used to it but it’s terrifying to watch.

1 minute ago, WallisFrizz said:

They’re right to do it aswell.

And then you'll have teams complaining about too much time being added, especially if goals get scored in added time.  Just add the time that has been wasted, no more no less it's simple.

I completely missed Emi being captain last night as I couldn't get a signal for the team sheet in the Holte Suite.

With Young starting do we think Emi is now club captain ahead of him when starting? 

It will be interesting to see if it goes back to McGinn next month.

13 minutes ago, wilko154 said:

I completely missed Emi being captain last night as I couldn't get a signal for the team sheet in the Holte Suite.

With Young starting do we think Emi is now club captain ahead of him when starting? 

It will be interesting to see if it goes back to McGinn next month.

I’m far less fussed about the captaincy issue now it is getting swapped about a bit. Takes the pressure off individuals and spreads the leadership load. 

I think if McGinn starts he will be captain but he’s not an automatic starter so there will be games where we see Emi and Young take the armband and that’s fine. Still think it would be nice to see Mings wear it again every so often but that would probably create a bit too much attention again after the summer drama.

4 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

If Gerrard had just done that in the summer he might still be in a job.

Amateur mistake from an amateur manager.

Thankfully he didn’t, best decision he ever made was giving it to McGinn. We have Unai Emery now, worked out wonderfully. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, AVTuco said:

He had an aura around him yesterday that he didn't before the WC. He's the man, he dominates. Leeds' players gave him highest respect.

It's a good point. He's already in the oppositions head (rent free) before we kick a ball. It's brilliant. 

Edited by birdman
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, CVByrne said:

The reason the ref played an extra minute and a half of added time was because of Emi timewasting. I think some refs are going to do that, add double the time wasted on.

I think his reputation is getting him into trouble.  Oliver last night was waiting to get his card out.

The save from Gnonto he made look easy because his starting position was so good.

The ball that was smashed at him that he had no clue about was also a great save because he made himself as big as possible, and covered the ground from the other side of the goal so quickly. He gave himself the chance to make that lucky save, by doing everything he humanly could to attempt it.

He's fearless, and back to the keeper that won us double figure points in his first season.

Â