The AVFC FFP thread

33 minutes ago, terrytini said:

So....we have a “ financial clean slate” apparently ? Very interesting indeed.

I wonder how they did that.

Maybe xia overplayed the ffp thing to cover up his  own lack of funds? 

‘Purslow seems confident we can spend in January without the worry of ffp being a problem 

Edited by Eastie

4 minutes ago, Eastie said:

Maybe xia overplayed the ffp thing to cover up how own lack of funds? 

‘Purslow seems confident we can spend in January without the worry of ffp being a problem 

That could be a good point, re Xia overplaying it.

Also, Alan Nixon (I know) said that new owners are given leeway as the problems with the club aren’t their ‘fault’. So I’d assume that’s because to enforce existing spending problems on a new owner would make a business much less valuable (sort of defeating the object of FFP which is to keep clubs viable) when looking to buy a new club 

Edited by alreadyexists
  • Like 3

18 minutes ago, Eastie said:

Maybe xia overplayed the ffp thing to cover up his  own lack of funds? 

Possibly, although he specifically said the Owners have funded clearing it.

Lovely !

44 minutes ago, terrytini said:

So....we have a “ financial clean slate” apparently ? Very interesting indeed.

I wonder how they did that.

The clean slate is with regard to actual debt to other parties, not to FFP. i.e. the new owners paid off all debts (apparently) to HMRC, other clubs, whoever. That is NOT the same as having FFP "wiped"

The FFP rules are still the FFP rules.

This is what he said

“The profitability and sustainability rules that govern the league we play in and the broader Fair Play regime that, many years ago, I sat on the working group and brought those rules in. “We’re highly respectful of them and are of course navigating within those rules.

“It changes nothing. We are determined to support our new management team in improving this squad where needing to do so and can easily do so with the financial resources within the rules.

“We’re moving in the right direction. Thanks to our new majority owners, we have a completely clean balance sheet, the financial problems the club had incurred were all cleared with the investors’ money and we now have a very strong financial base.”

What's intriguing is that he's saying we can "easily" support (signings) and remain within the FFP rules. I must confes to being baffled as to how, but I'm just a bod i nthe internet, not a CEO, so wahey!

• Like 2

Just now, blandy said:

The clean slate is with regard to actual debt to other parties, not to FFP. i.e. the new owners paid off all debts (apparently) to HMRC, other clubs, whoever. That is NOT the same as having FFP "wiped"

The FFP rules are still the FFP rules.

This is what he said

What's intriguing is that he's saying we can "easily" support (signings) and remain within the FFP rules. I must confes to being baffled as to how, but I'm just a bod i nthe internet, not a CEO, so wahey!

I agree, but he has clearly said - as you mention - “ easily within the rules”.....that’s the bit I meant ?

Having given that statement a bit of thought, I think it’s either -

a) the new owners sat down with football league and said “listen, you lot properly screwed the pooch with the fit and proper test concerning Dr Tony. The reason you lot have jobs is because of Aston Villa and we can buy and sell your sorry arses without a moment’s hesitation. So let us spend what we want and we’ll say no more on the issue.”

Or

b) Purslow is a big fibber.

Edited by Shropshire Lad
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

18 minutes ago, ciggiesnbeer said:

Sounds great! My biggest hope with the new owners is they would get aggressive in working around so called FFP. Looks like they have. As the CEO says he knows how to get around them too, thats very good news.

He didn’t really say that, but he did say we could add to the squad and stay within the rules... so perhaps he has got a trick up his sleeve!?

• Like 1

Â