The AVFC FFP thread

10 hours ago, PatrickCousens said:

Source?

https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/aston-villa-contracts-grealish-latest-15188743

Albert Adomah wanted a new deal at the club but Villa were unable to match his demands due to financial restrictions.

It’s understood that Villa are paying all of Yannick Bolasie’s £70k-a-week wages which also scuppered any chance of bringing John Terry back to the club on big money.

https://www.spotrac.com/Premier League/everton-f.c/yannick-bolasie-22767/

Yannick Bolasie signed a 5 year / £19,500,000 contract with the Everton F.C., including an annual average salary of £3,900,000. In 2018, Bolasie will earn a base salary of £3,900,000, while carrying a cap hit of £3,900,000.

Just curious to know. 

Is this another all or nothing season? 

New owners i get but they cant just pump money in, so there has to be some sort of way for the club to comply with ffp, so you would expect a tightening of the belts.

But, you appear to be offering Grealish a new deal which will make him the highest paid permanent member of the squad apparently, so thats got to be a significant wage, 50k plus?

Bolasie you are paying all his 70k wages. thats nearly £4million alone on wages presuming no loan fee.

McGinn couple of million plus he wont be on peanuts either .

Tammy Abraham, you must be paying some of his 50k a week wages to.

EL Ghazi you paid a loan fee of 2mill plus id assume a major part of his 30k wages if not all seeing as part of the reason for the sale is Lille needed to save cash. 

So, what is the new owners plan? 

Intelligent businessmen, they must have one, but they dont seem to be doing much tightening of belts which i found odd from the outside looking in. 

1 minute ago, Cjay said:

Just curious to know. 

New owners i get but they cant just pump money in, so there has to be some sort of way for the club to comply with ffp, so you would expect a tightening of the belts.

But, you appear to be offering Grealish a new deal which will make him the highest paid permanent member of the squad apparently, so thats got to be a significant wage, 50k plus?

Bolasie you are paying all his 70k wages. thats nearly £4million alone on wages presuming no loan fee.

EL Ghazi you paid a loan fee of 2mill plus id assume a major part of his 30k wages if not all seeing as part of the reason for the sale is Lille needed to save cash. 

Intelligent businessmen, they must have one, but they dont seem to be doing much tightening of belts which i found odd from the outside looking in. 

You know as much as us. We’re all just guessing too. We just hope they do have a plan and it’s not all gambling on promotion again, we need to become more sustainable. 

1 minute ago, Cjay said:

Just curious to know. 

Image result for steve bruce meme

• Haha 1

I'm very nervous about our FFP situation. Jack is now the highest paid player we have if the rumours are believed to be true. Where's this money coming from?

I really don't know how we're going to survive FFP penalties next year on the assumption we don't get promoted. Got totally fooled by Xia thinking he had some kind of plan, really hope these new guys do.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, PieFacE said:

I'm very nervous about our FFP situation. Jack is now the highest paid player we have if the rumours are believed to be true. Where's this money coming from?

I really don't know how we're going to survive FFP penalties next year on the assumption we don't get promoted. Got totally fooled by Xia thinking he had some kind of plan, really hope these new guys do.  

In my opinion it has to be (in simple terms so that I can understand it) -

• The financial side of things is nowhere near as bad as it’s made out.

• They know the punishment for failing won’t be significantly detrimental to the club. 

• They’ll assess where we’re at in the promotion hunt in January and maybe sell Grealish to fall in line if they feel we have to.

• They’re gambling that we’re going up this season, FFP be damned.

I’m hoping it’s not the last option.

Edited by Shropshire Lad
  • Like 1

Either the board has a brilliant way of working around FFP or we're gambling everything again.  

Sadly I think it's the later and we're going to be well and truly badgered next season. 

The only thing I can think of is that the board have asseseed the potential penalty and think it's going to be a transfer ban. But with the players we have under contract we can cope with a year without new players. 

7 minutes ago, Mandy Lifeboats said:

The only thing I can think of is that the board have asseseed the potential penalty and think it's going to be a transfer ban. But with the players we have under contract we can cope with a year without new players. 

Well thats fine as we are covered well in every position.

Oh.

• Haha 1

26 minutes ago, Mandy Lifeboats said:

I didn't say that was a GOOD idea!

Our various owners don't have a track record of successful  long term strategy.

That's why we are in a certain Creek without a certain propulsion instrument.

giphy-tumblr.gif

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

16 hours ago, Cjay said:

Just curious to know. 

Good question, and we can't be sure ultimately.  Coming off the back of last season, with what we know from published accounts, the published FFP limitations, and some assumptions, it looked like we had huge problems.  There was plenty of analysis done (not pure speculation, just inclusive of some sensible assumptions in my opinion), which suggested we would need to significantly alter the financial direction of the club from where it was last season.  That would have seemed to suggest needing to sell Grealish to recognise a significant profit, as well as reducing the wage bill considerably.

Clearly that sort of swing isn't happening, as you've highlighted.  My thinking is one of three things is going on:

1. The calculations / assumptions were massively wrong.  Personally, I think this is unlikely - we pretty much know the revenue as the largest amounts (parachutes and EFL money) are known to a good degree of accuracy, and I don't see what other material 'upsides' we would have missed.  The accounts will show in the next couple of years I guess, but against the FFP test, I cannot see how we don't have an issue this season.

2. The owners have gone to the EFL and effectively negotiated some sort of deal.  This could be along the lines of 'the previous losses weren't our fault, we have plenty of cash, making us sell our assets would weaken the club further, we will work to demonstrate that we are taking steps to run the club more responsibly, etc etc...'.  This would be my preferred option as it's managing the situation, but it's speculation and I have no idea how likely it is.  It has seemed increasingly unlikely with the Bolasie / Abraham / Grealish news, all of which must be adding to the wage bill considerably.

3. The new owners are gambling and hoping we can get up and then avoid sanctions.  To me, this would be madness.  Partly because we are the prime example of spending not equaling success.  And partly because I think the rules have changed, such that the PL can now support the EFL in enforcing penalties (which I don't think they could for the likes of Leicester, Bournemouth, Brighton).

So basically, who knows...?!

• Like 2

I think we need to trust that our new owners do have a cunning plan to get around FFP if we are stuck down here again next season. They didn't get where they are today by gambling everything on one throw of a dice. As Bud Flanagan once said "No dog can run as fast as the money you bet on him." ;)

I can’t work out what they are doing and given what we’ve been through I’m disappointed that we’ve not been given some idea.

Before people jump on that I know we don’t ge5 told detailed financial plans etc - but if they have a plan why not outline it ?

Im afraid to say that my original view that everything they did would stack up has been pretty much blown out the water with the news we are paying 70-80 k per week for Bolasie

I have moved from relief, to optimism, to puzzlement, to faith, and now to concern.

Edited by terrytini
  • Like 4

I guess we have at least two plans. One is we get promoted and that will take care of it. The second on staying where we are is a number of income streams such as new sponsors and the odd player sale to satisfy the FFP whilst they put in some more money to keep the club running. I would imagine it's all on a need to know basis concerning how this will happen and that only a handful of people are currently in the know. It is a gamble, but these owners have weighed up the odds and have the cash to take a calculated risk where the man they bailed out did not.   

Â