Jaden Philogene

Kingman

His size pace and versatility are pretty key for him as a squad player. Also his defensive workrate. I can see him coming on in games for Diaby when we are leading and him dropping a littler deeper so as to offer more defensively while still a threat on the break. With a season under Emery and team he could improve quite rapidly and having a right footed winger is good for the squad. 

Good piece from new guy in Athletic on him. Seems he has 2 years left on his deal

Aston Villa offered Jaden Philogene an opportunity on tour which he seized with both hands - The Athletic

He has two years left on his contract and, if his short-term future was not to be in the first team, a permanent move away would be favoured. Another loan to the Championship is the least favourable option, which reflects the self-confidence he has gained in recent months.

The confluence of pre-season and increased exposure during Villa’s U.S. tour was always going to be the window of opportunity for Philogene. The three fixtures against Premier League opponents were high-end, highly competitive games, designed to be played in front of big crowds and with a degree of pressure. The plan from the outset was for Emery to assess him over the 12-day period, with Villa rejecting offers from both foreign and domestic clubs before the squad’s departure.

There remains loan interest from the Championship, while four clubs in Europe have prepared permanent deals, including Fenerbahce and another unnamed Turkish side. Yet the youngster appears to have seized a chance.

• Like 3

He has really grabbed his chance, the unavailability of Diaby, Bailey and Traore has been fateful, still raw but he is bringing his game to the occasion with success and we haven’t seen the best of him for the seniors yet. I feared he might get lost in the scramble for expensive forward signing but he has done enough. Should get some first team football if he stays given we are in 4 competitions.

I think we'd be crazy to not give this guy a shot. Let him challenge Ramsey/Buendia/Bailey for a spot out wide. With A. Ramsey, McGinn and Diaby who can also play there we can sell Coutinho and Traore and give JPB a real chance.

Will be worth keeping around the squad this season, especially for all of the cups that we will no doubt be pushing to win. Shown a lot of promise over pre season. Will save us money as well if he can play like that in competitive games. 

Sometimes you’ve just got to give them a chance when they show something. Philogene has impressed and I would imagine he’d prefer to stay and be part of the first team squad than to go out on loan again. He might not play as much with Villa than on loan, but he’ll become a better player under Emery and training alongside our first team. 

2 minutes ago, It's Your Round said:

Sometimes you’ve just got to give them a chance when they show something. Philogene has impressed and I would imagine he’d prefer to stay and be part of the first team squad than to go out on loan again. He might not play as much with Villa than on loan, but he’ll become a better player under Emery and training alongside our first team. 

I think it depends what the purpose is but I agree that he'd be better off staying. In JPB's case, his game needs refinement and I think that having top-level coaches will be more beneficial to helping polish him up. The basics are already there with his all-round game. 

I think he's ready at least for a sub role. He certainly looked better than any of the other youngsters, including Archer. He may lack that last ounce of composure, but that will come only with experience in the PL. Give him a string of 20 minute appearances in the first half of the season to bring him up to speed. If it goes badly, you can always loan him out in January.

• Like 2

He seems to have been around a long time, but has improved remarkably last season and is carrying that into preseason.

He deserves a chance, and going by Emery's remarks, he will get it next season.

I would not be surprised if he leapfrogs Bailey, and he has already surpassed Traore in our squad.

He is an exciting player, one who gets bums off seats, and I would not be surprised if he becomes a crowd favourite.

• Like 4

Â