Jaden Philogene

Kingman

Not only does he seem like he’s maturing into a very good player, he’s also making the right decisions more often than not. He knows when to keep it simple and also does the defensive side of things well too.

His versatility is going to be big plus for us. Would love to see him breakthrough and really flourish. There’s an argument he’s already better than Bailey. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

Not only does he seem like he’s maturing into a very good player, he’s also making the right decisions more often than not. He knows when to keep it simple and also does the defensive side of things well too.

His versatility is going to be big plus for us. Would love to see him breakthrough and really flourish. There’s an argument he’s already better than Bailey. 

OMG we're in full agreement again

• Haha 2

The funny thing about Philogene is that for our U21s he mostly played on the left hand side, and cutting in onto to his right foot was pretty much his trademark and allowed him to be so dangerous, scored quite a few goals that way, almost like a young Ashley Young, but at first team level he's mostly played on the right hand side, would be interesting to see more of him at first team level on the left, he could be pretty dangerous there.

• Like 1

I hope he gets a decent amount of game time this season, looks like he’s ready, and he suits Unai’s style. Be interesting to see whether he’s just a solid 30 mins off the bench type of player or if he can be a match winner.

4 hours ago, Kiwivillan said:

Won the ball for Buendia goal. Like a new signing. Seem to remember he stood out last pre season and thought he may get games not sent on loan

It was the preseason before the last one where he really impressed (totally understandable why you’d want to erase the Gerrard 12 months from your memory though), he looked like a real prospect and I remember being quite surprised when Smith dropped him when the season started (and we had an absolute shocker to Watford when half the players didn’t look fit), of course afterwards Gerrard was allergic to wingers so looked like he wouldn’t get a chance.

Feels like a nice little redemption arc going from a top prospect to almost a forgotten man back to potential breaking through 

Edited by david-avfc
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, KentVillan said:

I hope he gets a decent amount of game time this season, looks like he’s ready, and he suits Unai’s style. Be interesting to see whether he’s just a solid 30 mins off the bench type of player or if he can be a match winner.

Matchwinning will come. For me its so obvious to see he is playing to Unai’s instructions . Nothing fancy. Get used to playing with the team first. And do your job defensively.  Its great to see that tactical understanding and willingness to do the non flashy work . Just like JJ 3 seasons ago it will go a long way to getting him plenty of minutes  going forward.  So that when Unai does cut him loose it will not be at the expense of team shape .

• Like 4

1 minute ago, MWARLEY2 said:

For me its so obvious to see he is playing to Unai’s instructions .

Another beauty of Emery as manager. He doesn't care how much a player has signed for or wages they're paid, just if they can play the role he wants or so it seems

1 minute ago, Kiwivillan said:

Another beauty of Emery as manager. He doesn't care how much a player has signed for or wages they're paid, just if they can play the role he wants or so it seems

It also gives flexibility in wider positions.  Diaby Traore Bailey and Coutinho arent known for their defensive capability. Buendia JJ Ginny and now Bidace are . We are developing / gaining the tools for any given situation  

4 hours ago, useless said:

The funny thing about Philogene is that for our U21s he mostly played on the left hand side, and cutting in onto to his right foot was pretty much his trademark and allowed him to be so dangerous, scored quite a few goals that way, almost like a young Ashley Young, but at first team level he's mostly played on the right hand side, would be interesting to see more of him at first team level on the left, he could be pretty dangerous there.

Yeah I remember in summer 2021 a lot were pushing him to get a chance after Grealish left but we just played El Ghazi instead which was a very short term move by DS (not surprising as he probably suspected his job was in danger).

Since then he's had injuries but looked good at Stoke and was lively at Cardiff.

Certainly took his chance in pre season but let's see how many sub cameos he has in August.

2 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

I wonder why he's still wearing Philogene-Bidace on his shirt if he's specifically asked to just be called Jaden Philogene?

I reckon he has patched up things with the bidace side of the family, it could be something like that which caused him to drop the name, don’t know for definite 

6 minutes ago, Villatillidie95 said:

I reckon he has patched up things with the bidace side of the family, it could be something like that which caused him to drop the name, don’t know for definite 

"Don't know for definite". Loving the disclaimer.

Â