Jaden Philogene

Kingman

So watching the game now, it goes to show how beneficial his loans to Stoke and Cardiff were he didn’t exactly produce the highlight reel stuff we were expecting him to do on loan but he’s come having learnt the nitty gritty side of the game and discipline , tracking back getting stuck in and good positional play.

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, gwi1890 said:

So watching the game now, it goes to show how beneficial his loans to Stoke and Cardiff were he didn’t exactly produce the highlight reel stuff we were expecting him to do on loan but he’s come having learnt the nitty gritty side of the game and discipline , tracking back getting stuck in and good positional play.

He was always disciplined and always an absolute pressing machine. 

4 minutes ago, PeterSw said:

Might have to amend the name of the thread if he's going to use his double-barrelled surname.

he was the one who dropped the double barrel to philogene only.

Has he used his full double barrel or something?

Good tracking back, won a few duels. Due to the disjointed build up in the first half - he couldn't really get into a good 1v1 position to take on his man but still a good finish when it came to him.

Hard to see him going out loan given our lack of options at that position as well. Do think he will get a chance to prove himself with the squad this year.

5 minutes ago, DJBOB said:

Good tracking back, won a few duels. Due to the disjointed build up in the first half - he couldn't really get into a good 1v1 position to take on his man but still a good finish when it came to him.

Hard to see him going out loan given our lack of options at that position as well. Do think he will get a chance to prove himself with the squad this year.

Can see him being kept, at least until January.  He could be useful in the wide role beside Watkins or could even see him in the RM role if Emery want's a more traditional winger there in certain games.

Think Emery likes him. Hope he gets a lot of game time, exciting player to have on the pitch. I'm sure he'll get the crowd off their feet at Villa Park and then that'll give him confidence back. 

His output isn't even that bad, nine goals and one assist in fourteen appearances for our 18s and eleven goals and four assists in twenty-two appearances for the 21s, scored a couple against Wycombe's first team in the EFL Trophy.

At Stoke he barely played because he was mostly injured, at Cardiff five goals and one assist in twenty-six games worth of football, would be six goals but one was taken away from him that he scored against Rotherham after the game was called-off in the second half, also have to bear in mind he was playing for a struggling team, only Blackpool scored less goals than them, put most young players in that Cardiff team and they would struggle for goals and assists, put Philogene in a better Championship team and his output would look better, he was still their third top scorer.

Also a winger of his type it isn't just about goals and assists, it's his ability to carry the ball up the pitch which can help with attacks but also to relieve his team from pressure which would have been important for a team like Cardiff as they were last season, he will also win his share of free-kicks, corners, and penalites that can lead to goals, and just cause danger in general and create situations where he doesn't always get an assist but will have played his part in the build up.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, duke313 said:

Can see him being kept, at least until January.  He could be useful in the wide role beside Watkins or could even see him in the RM role if Emery want's a more traditional winger there in certain games.

Even if we sign another winger I think it's likely we keep until January. We essentially play with 3 wingers - though ramsey and mcginn also play in those roles.

If we have runs in all 3 comps before Jan we could see close to 30 games played in a 4 month period. 20 prem games before the new year, 4 carabao cup games (plus potential replays and with potentially 2 in Jan as well) and 8 games in the ECL before the new year as well. 32 games in such a short period means a lot of rotation. 

We currently have - Buendia, Diaby, Bailey, Ramsey, McGinn, Coutinho, Traore and JPB for those 3 roles and that assumes that we don't have to play mcginn as a DM or Diaby up front. 

If we play as many games as we can that's a game every 4.4 days - not even accounting for the fact that there are 3 international periods which means essentially 6 weeks where we won't be playing games. So more like a game every 3.5 days. Plus with Ramsey starting the season injured and with Traore, Coutinho and Bailey being perpetual sick notes. We could easily be down to 5 players for those roles until like the start of October. 

If you consider every other position we have 3 players who you can trust there except LB, RB and GK. And we are expecting to add at least a RB (and Konsa and Chambers can cover there too) and maybe a keeper. And revan looks like he could do a job on the left too. 

Can't forget Aaron Ramsey in this, he was better than Philogene in the Championship last season at a younger age and without any prior experience in that division, I feel like if JPB deserves a chance then so does Aaron, this was the general consensus before a couple of friendly games.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, useless said:

Can't forget Aaron Ramsey in this, he was better than Philogene in the Championship last season at a younger age and without any prior experience in that division, I feel like if JPB deserves a chance then so does Aaron, this was the general consensus before a couple of friendly games.

Would love to see him in the 10 role.

5 hours ago, useless said:

Agree we should keep them both around but we need to consider how much they will actually play. Only Unai really knows that. No point keeping them just to sit on the bench like Archer did in first part of last season. If we can see them playing then I’m all for keeping them around. On Ramsey I feel like he needs games to grow like JJ did. However JJ came into team at a very different time for the squad. My feeling is Aaron might have to do a lot of his learning on loan. 

• Like 1

I find it hard to predict what's going to happen with Aaron and Philogene, all scenarios seem feasible to me, wouldn't be surprised to see both go back out on loan, or both stay, or one of them stay and the other go back out on loan. I haven't been following what's going on in Europ Conference situation, but I guess whether we can win the play-off game for that will have some say in which youngsters stay and which are loaned out.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, useless said:

I find it hard to predict what's going to happen with Aaron and Philogene, all scenarios seem feasible to me, wouldn't be surprised to see both go back out on loan, or both stay, or one of them stay and the other go back out on loan. I haven't been following what's going on in Europ Conference situation, but I guess whether we can win the play-off game for that will have some say in which youngsters stay and which are loaned out.

Definitely, if we're guaranteed Thurs night football I think we need to keep them and play them in Europe, League cup too. JJ left, Aaron as a 10 and Philogene right behind Archer as striker would be a bit of a coup for the academy

Edited by romavillan
  • Like 2

Â