Ollie Watkins

alreadyexists

24 minutes ago, jayEm said:

I don't want to take anything away from him because he's absolutely brilliant, but his goal today takes a deflection of Smith-Rowe, right? He goes for a chip of sorts but it's the touch off the top of ESR's boot that loops it up over the keeper yeah? Might have gone in anyway but it's not quite the sublime chip I initially thought it was

Again, not trying to detract from him, he forces the goal either way and he's been sensational this season. Beautiful player.

I was struggling to work out what the original trajectory was. On one angle it looked like it would have gone in anyway. The deflection did make it look particularly clinical though 

1 hour ago, OutByEaster? said:

Is that 26 goals and 10 assists so far this season?

That's incredible. It's hard to think of any Villa striker in my lifetime who has had a better season.

And it can still get better.

Out of likes, but he’s going to comfortably going to break Gobby’s PL record soon enough. He’s only 14 goals behind. Couldn’t be happier for Ollie. 

Edited by The_Steve

Think Watkins is now on 58 Premier League goals for us and only two behind Yorke now? He’ll surely beat Gabby’s record next season, which is a magnificent achievement and thoroughly deserved to be our top Premier League goalscorer. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, ChesterDad said:

I see what you did there 😃 but it’s still probably Andy Gray or Gary Shaw 👍🏻

Andy Gray left for Wolves (Ouch) and missed the European Cup win. Am I right or am I wrong? 

40 minutes ago, Mark Albrighton said:

My go to has always been Yorke as best premier league era forward/striker. To be honest my inclination is still that, but I can’t argue against the reasoning for saying Ollie now has that title. 

I’m just thinking back to the time when he was bought, the weeks leading up to it seemed to drag (he doesn’t actually sign for us until over 130 pages into this thread), the transfer value kept increasing and there was a reasonable amount of posts that were not terribly happy with the price we paid :)

I think its because Watkins is still playing. Once he retires from Football, once time moves on, his statue of Villa's best ever PL striker will only grow. He will grow away above Yorke and Benteke 

Edited by Pongo Waring
  • Like 3

4 minutes ago, Pongo Waring said:

Andy Gray left for Wolves (Ouch) and missed the European Cup win. Am I right or am I wrong? 

No you are 100 % per cent correct - but he and Gary were both better than Ollie and that is no slight whatsoever on him.

9 minutes ago, ferguson1 said:

Think Watkins is now on 58 Premier League goals for us and only two behind Yorke now? He’ll surely beat Gabby’s record next season, which is a magnificent achievement and thoroughly deserved to be our top Premier League goalscorer. 

I do hope so - Gobby has no place in the same sentence as Ollie 

16 minutes ago, KentVillan said:

I was struggling to work out what the original trajectory was. On one angle it looked like it would have gone in anyway. The deflection did make it look particularly clinical though 

Think he went for a little dink instead of it being a chip. Might have squeezed it past Raya but good control to make the angle regardless. 

Not to take away from Ollie but I still think Benteke is the better player, we have to remember Benteke was doing this for us at the age of 22 alongside the likes of Weimann, N'Zogbia and Holman. I think prime Benteke in this team under Unai's guidance would have been an absolute menace. It's a shame he joined us at our lowest. I used to be in awe of him when he was at full tilt. His LeBron celebration was so apt too, as he used to carry us on his back. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

Not to take away from Ollie but I still think Benteke is the better player, we have to remember Benteke was doing this for us at the age of 22 alongside the likes of Weimann, N'Zogbia and Holman. I think prime Benteke in this team under Unai's guidance would have been an absolute menace. It's a shame he joined us at our lowest. I used to be in awe of him when he was at full tilt. His LeBron celebration was so apt too, as he used to carry us on his back. 

I loved benteke,  rate him 2nd behind Yorke as the best in recent times.

However there is no guarantee he could do it in this team when the extra pressure is on, in fact when Liverpool asked that of him he folded.

Watkins is the better striker in this team for me.

Totally different players Benteke and Watkins. But big difference for me is Benteke never improved after his first season and career ending up going backwards. Watkins just gets better and better. He willingness to learn and keep improving his game is what makes him better imo. Maybe Emery would have made him a better player but thst we will never know. 

• Like 1

What a player this guy has become. I've always liked Ollie but I never thought he would become the all round beast he has. 

Huge credit to him, and to Unai and the team, he's one of the best forwards in Europe this season and hopefully will get the chance to show it in the Champions League with us next year. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Pongo Waring said:

I think its because Watkins is still playing. Once he retires from Football, once time moves on, his statue of Villa's best ever PL striker will only grow. He will grow away above Yorke and Benteke 

I don’t know, I’m content having Martinez as the best keeper and he’s obviously a current player.

I never thought he would become this good in terms of his numbers (assists and goals) but I was always confident he would eventually beat Gabbys record if he stuck around. It used to wind me up when fans wanted us to sell him. 

Edited by Vive_La_Villa
  • Like 1

Joint most assists with 10 (Gross & Trippier also on 10, assume most are from set plays, all of Ollie's from open play)

Open play goals

Watkins 19

Haaland 16

Solanke 16

Isak 13

Salah 12

If he finishes top of both brackets he should win POTS without question.

31 minutes ago, Nigel said:

I loved benteke,  rate him 2nd behind Yorke as the best in recent times.

However there is no guarantee he could do it in this team when the extra pressure is on, in fact when Liverpool asked that of him he folded.

Watkins is the better striker in this team for me.

Yeah we've had the benefit of seeing much more of Ollie. No doubt Benteke was an absolute beast for us and its a shame he left to embark on a downward trajectory, but Ollie has proven himself to be near top of the pile now and getting better.

OK so when do we start seeing the City, Plop, Arsenal, Spurs are preparing a bid for Ollie?

They cannot stand young pretenders muscling in on their patch

Â