Ollie Watkins

alreadyexists

He probably wont even be nominated but he really should be a leading contender for Player of the Season

Edited by Zatman
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Zatman said:

He probably wont even be nominated but he really should be a leading contender for Player of the Season

With goals and assists combined he's on 29, closest to him is Haaland on 26.

4 hours ago, AshVilla said:

He'd have like 25 goals already if he could take a pen.

What a season.

Incredible, yes.

As soon as Luiz misses one, I think he'll be there now asking for them back.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Absolutely should win, as you say absolutely won’t because he’s not a sky 6 player

12 minutes ago, HalfTimePost said:

When is the last time a Villa player won the Golden Boot?

Nevermind, just found it. Ollie has a chance to do something that has only happened at this club once in the last 123 years and outright win the Top Flight Golden Boot.

Last joint winner: Peter Withe 1980/81 with 20 Goals (same as Spurs' Steve Archibald)

Last outright winner: Tom Waring 1930/31 with 49 Goals

Full List

- Peter Withe 1980/81 (20, w/ Spurs' Steve Archibald)

- Andy Gray 1976/77 (25, w/ Arsenals Malcolm Macdonald)

- Tom Waring 1930/31 - 49 Goals

- Harry Hampton 1911/12 (25, 3-way tie w/ David McClean from Sheff Weds & George Holley Sunderland)

- Billy Garraty 1899/00 - 27 Goals

- Fred Wheldon 1897/98 - 21 Goals

- John J. Campbell 1895/96 (20, w/ Derby's Steve Bloomer)

Edited by HalfTimePost
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Now tied with Gareth Barry for 3rd on the Villa Premier League goal contributions list. 59 goals, 23 assists matches Gareth's 41 goals, 41 assists. Only has Yorke 87 and Gabby 108 ahead of him.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, HalfTimePost said:

When is the last time a Villa player won the Golden Boot?

Peter Withe 1980-81 (shared)

Andy Gray 1976-77 (shared)

Tom Waring 1930-31

• Like 2

5 hours ago, viivvaa66 said:

Peter Withe 1980-81 (shared)

Andy Gray 1976-77 (shared)

Tom Waring 1930-31

For a club with such a long and storied history as ours I'm always surprised at the individual records of our players. A crude conclusion I can draw is that we've had good "teams" but not many stand out, world class players.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

He's better than Benteke!

He's a better all round player and and he has already equalled Benteke's best season with 5 matches to go.

Surely is not even even any debate anymore, but I welcome any 😁

He will be our best Premier League striker when his time here is over.

Edited by Villan_of_oz
  • Like 3

3 minutes ago, Pinebro said:

Proud to have defended him even during his most challenging spells.

Getting what he deserves now

I stand with you mate, I never stopped defending him.

I hope he gets a national call up which he more than deserves.

16 minutes ago, Villan_of_oz said:

He's better than Benteke!

He's a better all round player and and he has already equalled Benteke's best season with 5 matches to go.

Surely is not even even any debate anymore, but I welcome any 😁

He will be our best Premier League striker when his time here is over.

Ollie's playing for a team that has 63 points and counting in April. Benteke's goals that season helped us to 41 and without them we immediately got relegated. Those 19 goals gotta be weighted differently imo. He had to create many of them all by himself (West Brom, Liverpool, Everton away etc). 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Villan_of_oz said:

I stand with you mate, I never stopped defending him.

I hope he gets a national call up which he more than deserves.

Same here. I looked back to earlier in the thread the other week and plenty thought he wasn’t good enough. Glad we stuck with him and he’s just getting better and better. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

Ollie's playing for a team that has 63 points and counting in April. Benteke's goals that season helped us to 41 and without them we immediately got relegated. Those 19 goals gotta be weighted differently imo. He had to create many of them all by himself (West Brom, Liverpool, Everton away etc). 

I think Watkins is just as important to this team as Benteke was to that team, I do consider those variables you mentioned but there are other stats that backup my Watkins, like Benteke had 6 assists in his 3 seasons with us and Watkins pressing is vital to us as a couple of examples.

Benteke is still in my top 3 favourite players I've seen playing for Villa, but I think we've officially reached the point I wouldn't trade peak Watkins for peak Benteke.

Benteke was phenomenal, but where we are now I feel like Watkins would get into this team ahead of Benteke. Sure, Benteke would have been more exciting to watch, and better when we were fighting relegation or needing moments of magic under Stevie G, but the skillset needed to play up top in a team fighting for the top 4 is different. 

I think we underestimate Watkins a bit sometimes because at first he felt like he was here for his athleticism rather than his skills, and first impressions tend to stick. But the progress he's made has been incredible. The thought of a Villa player winning the golden boot would be pure insanity even a couple of years ago.

35 minutes ago, turvontour said:

I just think right now, if you had to chose, in the cold light of day. Ings would offer us something slightly different. 

Did you forget Scott Hogan and his elite movement?

Â