Ollie Watkins

alreadyexists

41 minutes ago, Brumstopdogs said:

Seems a really nice guy too. Lovely to see him progressing and fulfilling his undoubted potential..

This is interesting to me because it implies that maybe Watkins was overdoing it previously - trying to be everywhere all the time, because that's basically what set him apart from other strikers.

It seems like Emery is encouraging him to be a bit more selective about when he goes chasing players / the ball and it certainly seems to have paid off in terms of his goalscoring.

• Like 3

Ollie is the man, there can be no argument anymore,

He was under an evil spell cast by Slippy G the bore,

But now that Unai is at the helm, Ollie is scoring goals for fun,

Now let's never doubt Ollie's ability again, let's get behind him everyone!

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Panto_Villan said:

This is interesting to me because it implies that maybe Watkins was overdoing it previously - trying to be everywhere all the time, because that's basically what set him apart from other strikers.

It seems like Emery is encouraging him to be a bit more selective about when he goes chasing players / the ball and it certainly seems to have paid off in terms of his goalscoring.

Imagine doing rhe running he used to do and then having to have composure when he got in front of goal.  Your striker needs his energy to be preserved. Football has changed but 30 40 years ago your strikers like Lineker. They were there to simply score. Nothing else. 

Seems Emery has found the happy medium for him. From what i know Emerys strikers always score heavily under him. This must be the reason. Goals win games so the most important player in his system will always be the striker.  But because Emery is God he has found a way to do this while not putting extra pressure on the remaining players. 

It was JJ today doing the runs Ollie used to . Getting the ball up the pitch to relieve some pressure. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SecretVillaScout said:

Forget the goals, the misses, the work rate
This was Magical. 

Thanks for sharing! I wanted to see this again, didn't know he had it in his locker. Unbelievable bit of skill.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Villan_of_oz said:

Ollie is the man, there can be no argument anymore,

He was under an evil spell cast by Slippy G the bore,

But now that Unai is at the helm, Ollie is scoring goals for fun,

Now let's never doubt Ollie's ability again, let's get behind him everyone!

I read it like a poem then got to the end and realised it wasn’t. 

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Panto_Villan said:

He was running all over the gaff under Gerrard, getting nowhere and looked kinda pissed off. Looks a very happy player now. 

People seem to forget that for all his inconsistent finishing he creates 3-4 goals for himself a seaosn out of nothing. 

What I like about him since emery has come in is that he's been a lot more willing to wait 2-3 yards away from the ball as the defender controls it waiting for them to make a mistake. And when they do he's got the time and the space to react to it and try and get in behind. 

1 hour ago, MWARLEY2 said:

Imagine doing rhe running he used to do and then having to have composure when he got in front of goal.  Your striker needs his energy to be preserved. Football has changed but 30 40 years ago your strikers like Lineker. They were there to simply score. Nothing else. 

Seems Emery has found the happy medium for him. From what i know Emerys strikers always score heavily under him. This must be the reason. Goals win games so the most important player in his system will always be the striker.  But because Emery is God he has found a way to do this while not putting extra pressure on the remaining players. 

It was JJ today doing the runs Ollie used to . Getting the ball up the pitch to relieve some pressure. 

I'm not sure it's necessarily an energy thing - it certainly seems to me like Ollie has the athleticism to handle running around all game. That's always been his thing.

My guess is that if he's chasing the ball around too much, when we got an intercept or counter-attack he might be a few yards out of position and that meant he got a few less moments on the ball when it really counted.

But yeah, it certainly seems like Emery has found a happy medium.

11 minutes ago, Panto_Villan said:

I'm not sure it's necessarily an energy thing - it certainly seems to me like Ollie has the athleticism to handle running around all game. That's always been his thing.

My guess is that if he's chasing the ball around too much, when we got an intercept or counter-attack he might be a few yards out of position and that meant he got a few less moments on the ball when it really counted.

But yeah, it certainly seems like Emery has found a happy medium.

Oh god. Ollie has the energy to play  saturday and sunday. And wednesday probably  . What i mean is that when he gets in a goalscoring position he will have slightly more composure than if he has just done 3 lungbusting runs in a row . Its that extra 1 percemt composure that might mean the difference between scoring and missing . 

• Like 3

Only worry now, is if he gets injured. We're only a Ben Mee away from having no centre forward. 

Roll on the transfer window reinforcements. 

14 hours ago, SecretVillaScout said:

He don't half get a lot of chances in this Emery Villa team. Was really annoyed how he took his first chance. But cant deny his mentality. Finished the 2nd 1 on 1 brilliantly.
When he misses he doesn't hide, he comes back and takes the next chance. Only the top strikers have that. 
Always gives defenders a tough game. 

Yep, I've never seen him play like his head is down. Plays every second he's on the pitch as sharp as a tack regardless of how the games gone. That's gold dust in professional sports. 

Â