Ollie Watkins

alreadyexists

Funny thing is, it's still very much the same Ollie Watkins. It's not like he's suddenly scoring worldies from outside the box. He's just being given the right service and used in the right way. The goal tonight was the sort of thing he's always been capable of.

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, KentVillan said:

Funny thing is, it's still very much the same Ollie Watkins. It's not like he's suddenly scoring worldies from outside the box. He's just being given the right service and used in the right way. The goal tonight was the sort of thing he's always been capable of.

It's certainly the same Ollie Watkins, but he's definitely got a lot more reliable at putting the chance away recently. It wasn't like he didn't have chances during his patches of bad form.

now he's getting some consitency in front of goal, i'd like to see him grab more than one in a game here and there. he's only done it twice (the hat-trick against liverpool and the brace at arsenal) to my knowledge.

always room for improvement. 😅

Just now, TheMightyVillans said:

Looked like he was celebrating after he made the challenge which was given a penalty. He must have been confident that he got fouled.

Definitely. He clearly did and ref rescinded the card so happy result all round 

Shows how damaging a poor manager can be.

If we still had Gerrard we'd probably all be talking about selling Watkins in the summer for 20m or so.

Instead we've got one of the best strikers in England

• Like 2

9 hours ago, KentVillan said:

But let's not forget even under Gerrard since the start of the season, individually I thought he was a better player. His touch was good. His use of his body under pressure was good. He wasn't getting bullied anymore and losing the ball easily.

He's worked so hard to kick on. You can just see his actually ability is night and day.

I think I may have said a year or two ago that changing your fundamental style and rawness for want of a better word at 26/27 is not possible.

It is I guess.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, rodders0223 said:

But let's not forget even under Gerrard since the start of the season, individually I thought he was a better player. His touch was good. His use of his body under pressure was good. He wasn't getting bullied anymore and losing the ball easily.

He's worked so hard to kick on. You can just see his actually ability is night and day.

I think I may have said a year or two ago that changing your fundamental style and rawness for want of a better word at 26/27 is not possible.

It is I guess.

It also helps to keep trying, you could see he ran around clueless under the scousecand stopped in the end as even if he won it, no one was ever near him to help.

22 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Shows how damaging a poor manager can be.

If we still had Gerrard we'd probably all be talking about selling Watkins in the summer for 20m or so.

Instead we've got one of the best strikers in England

If we still had Gerrard we'd be bottom lol.  

• Like 1

its great to see Ollie focused in that corridor between the sticks.

For too long, Ollies compliant Nature, has him working all over the pitch, very noble, I must say, but it is not what a clinical striker does.

UE has him more focused on the job in hand, scoring goals and the benefits are all to see.

Ollie has never been a prolific striker, but he has been a consistent double digits man, no mean feat, when some strikers have good and bad seasons, he is there or there abouts, but a bit shy on numbers.

Ollie has been in double figures for the past 8 seasons, and when folk can't make up their mind whether he is a winger or a central striker, that is not bad.

Played as he is now, Ollie is a 20 goal a season striker.....they say sometimes less is more....that's Ollie, stay off the wings, keep in the centre and he will be amongst the goals and back in the England Team...He is also easier to find by his team mates, for instinctive passing through the lines.

Its looking good Oll.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, KentVillan said:

as they say...He's been a "Jack of all trades and a master of none".....not his fault.

He has a manager now who see's things....and pointed him in the right direction.....wants him to do less and get more.

I have always thought Ollie does too much work in too many area's....his game was being diluted, maybe unintentionally, but that is what was happening.

It was also a thought that his mates couldn't find him instinctively, so got caught on the ball looking for him......Now, they know without thinking, where he is.

When you check out the consistency of his goals season on season, he is very much the striker, we was hoping for, just needed to be utilised more intelligently and boost those numbers.

Ollie for me is a top player.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, duke313 said:

If we still had Gerrard we'd be bottom lol.  

but we haven't, so we are not.

it was a mistake, we move on to happier pastures.

I am not trying to be rude, but its moot IMO for folk to be harping on about a situation, which was clearly an error of judgment, by the club

I cringe now when I hear his name, not because I was anti Gerrard, because I wasn't...but because its like labouring an old argument.

He's gone, the club made an error, but they have more than made up for it with Unai.

Lets get back to Ollie......We have our Ollie back, enough to rejoice with that whole heartedly.

• Like 3

12 hours ago, Zatman said:

He was tuned in to watch Mason Mount on the bench and Conor Gallagher picking up 20 minutes

Much more important to the national team to have top 6 experience

Rules those two out then. 

1 hour ago, villaglint said:

One of those games where he saw very little of the ball but delivered every time when he did. 

That is top level player stuff. 

No idea how long he (or we) can keep this up. 

I agree

A Chrysalis turns in to a beautiful Butterfly......Thats us.

5 hours ago, TheMightyVillans said:

Looked like he was celebrating after he made the challenge which was given a penalty. He must have been confident that he got fouled.

It was a fantastic piece of defending. Without it Daka has a tap in 3 yards out.

Mings rushed to congratulate Ollie for it; Ollie had been quicker to react to the danger than any of the defenders. Without that defending its two points dropped.

Awful live decision; Ollie's got in  front of Daka, Daka fouled Ollie and the ball bounced up off Daka's hand. This was a classic referee's 'I've sent off one of the home players; the home crowd are on my back, I've not seen what happened, so I'll give this decision the home team's way' decisions.

• Like 2

Theres very few strikers that score 20 goals in a season more than once or twice in their career.  Hes a player that is willing to learn and develop his skills and I and now hes playing for a top top manager hes moved his game to another level and l believe he will be a 20 goal a season man.

Â