Ollie Watkins

alreadyexists

No striker will convert everyone of the their chances. Even Haaland has missed sitters. At the moment Ollie is being pretty clinical. In fact he is being the most clinical a striker has been in our Premier League history!

Long may it continue.

• Like 1

I don't think I've seen a more dramatic turn in form from a Villa player than Ollie this season. Most of us were completely writing him off, including myself. 

If we sign a fancy new striker, we need to keep Ollie too, IMO.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, IrishVilla10 said:

Hard to argue against him being our main striker next season if he keeps this up

Near the end of the video at 2 minutes, the skill to beat THREE Chelsea players and lay the ball off to Bailey was World Class.

Love the guy, hopefully keeps his form and continues to improve.

One thing too he does seem a very likeable person, humble, well spoken, works hard.

• Like 3

40 minutes ago, IrishVilla10 said:

Hard to argue against him being our main striker next season if he keeps this up

Just goes to show what good coaching does.  I had written him off under Gerrard, would have been happy enough to cash in on him.  But he's proving all the doubters wrong, first choice striker for me next season if he keeps this form up.

• Like 2

Always knew he would come good. Always said he was better than Ings (all round). Always said Emery would love Watkins. He's exactly the type of striker he uses in his teams, and has a great mentality, and work ethic.

Got to say though when I was at Villa Park for the Liverpool game the two first half misses (right in front of me as well) had me fuming! Was close to turning on him then second half he scored! Lol!

Don't think we need a striker, Duran looks a star in the making to me. Then Acrher as well. Can't see what Tammy (for example), or someone of that ilk would add!

2 minutes ago, Philosopher said:

Always knew he would come good. Always said he was better than Ings (all round). Always said Emery would love Watkins. He's exactly the type of striker he uses in his teams, and has a great mentality, and work ethic.

Got to say though when I was at Villa Park for the Liverpool game the two first half misses (right in front of me as well) had me fuming! Was close to turning on him then second half he scored! Lol!

Don't think we need a striker, Duran looks a star in the making to me. Then Acrher as well. Can't see what Tammy (for example), or someone of that ilk would add!

Tammy would cost about £35-40m, not the money we should be paying for a backup because on current form Watkins > Tammy. 

Ollie now up to 0.41npxG per 90 and 0.52npxG+A per 90. Both highs and getting close to his breakthrough championship numbers when he had an npxG per 90 of 0.51 and npxG+A per 90 of 0.63.

Interestingly enough - his progressive carries and progressive passes stats are now at career lows. I think an indication that Unai is telling him to stay on the shoulder of the defenders and resist the urge to be involved in the build up.

Result - less running and more goals!

50 minutes ago, DJBOB said:

Ollie now up to 0.41npxG per 90 and 0.52npxG+A per 90. Both highs and getting close to his breakthrough championship numbers when he had an npxG per 90 of 0.51 and npxG+A per 90 of 0.63.

Interestingly enough - his progressive carries and progressive passes stats are now at career lows. I think an indication that Unai is telling him to stay on the shoulder of the defenders and resist the urge to be involved in the build up.

Result - less running and more goals!

An interview over the international break talked about Emery telling him to stay up on the last man. You can't score a goal when you are dropping to the halfway line. 

One great benefit of Emery's system is he always gets secondary runners into the box. Makes it far harder to double up a striker if the attacking team has multiple players in the box. 

I'd like nothing more than Ollie to be be the best version of himself for an entire season and scoring 20 goals or more.
I just think its risky not to get a genuine challenger for the spot and I think Emery might too. We definitely need one more senior striker and I hope Ollie rises to the challenge.

Makes me wonder if Watkins, Duran, and Archer would be good enough for next season. I'm guessing Emery might loan out Duran or Archer and sign a bigger name striker. 

I do want to see Archer get a legitimate chance.

• Like 1

Ollie has scored 6 in 8 since Ings left. Yes, I'm sure Emery has been a big reason, but I do think Ollie knowing he's the main man up front definitely took some weight off his shoulders.

3 hours ago, Mazrim said:

I'd like nothing more than Ollie to be be the best version of himself for an entire season and scoring 20 goals or more.
I just think its risky not to get a genuine challenger for the spot and I think Emery might too. We definitely need one more senior striker and I hope Ollie rises to the challenge.

If Forest go down then we should be all over Brennan Johnson. Becauze he could play alongside Ollie up front in the Baley role or instead of . 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, maqroll said:

I don't think I've seen a more dramatic turn in form from a Villa player than Ollie this season. Most of us were completely writing him off, including myself. 

If we sign a fancy new striker, we need to keep Ollie too, IMO.

Shows what ‘most of us know’ doesn’t it?

3 hours ago, maqroll said:

Makes me wonder if Watkins, Duran, and Archer would be good enough for next season. I'm guessing Emery might loan out Duran or Archer and sign a bigger name striker. 

I do want to see Archer get a legitimate chance.

I suggested this.

They will learn alot from Ollies game as well, if they can pull from some of Ollies characteristics along with their own, we have a very decent potential strike line.

Â