Ollie Watkins

alreadyexists

If there is one upside to Ollie Watkins not getting chosen, it’s that he will be on fire against Bournemouth. I think it’s great when a player has something to prove. I’m sorry for him, it’s shit, but I hope it helps him “fail upward.”

Edited by Marka Ragnos

On 15/03/2023 at 19:54, MrBlack said:

It always amazes me how bad some players can "look" when playing in the Premier league.

The number of semi pros I've played alongside that have absolutely wiped the floor with any of the usual crowd I played with, and yet never even got close to making it out the local Saturday league, let alone into non league.

PL pros are all an absolute mile above what you see in the day to day, but the difference is they're playing against other players of a similar standard, and it can make them look poor on occasion.

Watkins is insanely fit, and his finishing and first touch are better than he'd been showing, until his recent run of form. He's also now got a coach, playing an actual system and, that is coaching him on where to be and when to be there. Great to see him back in form.

It's madness when you think about those levels. So people who stand out at 5-a-side, then semi pros, pros, then not only PL (or equivalent abroad) level players but also world class players, and then the extreme elite such as Ronaldo and Messi. It's like how can anyone be that good :D

Edited by Tom13
  • Like 3

5 hours ago, icouldtelltheworld said:

Kane will play every minute of any game that counts anyway, so Southgate only needs to pick one other ST so he can give the illusion of a plan B. Disappointed for Ollie in fairness, deserved a call up on recent form

This. The boring predictability of Southgate is just one of his many, many weaknesses. He'd fail miserably at club management.

In as decent form as he is I can't see who Ollie is replacing out of those forward players picked, he just needs to keep playing well and give himself a chance. Southgate is still a big nosed knobhead though just because!

• Like 2

As some posters have already stated this is going to help Villa and Watkins. Hopefully he can shoved a load more goals down the big noses throat over the next few weeks.

**** Southgate and his Dier/Maguire love fest. The man is a joke, simple as.

Deano could have won the Euros with the players we had/have. Media seem to love Southgate for some obscure reason though 😳

• Like 1

As others have said, i dont really see an Agenda here, just a really difficult squad to get into and in reality he needs to be better than Toney. All the rest are picking themselves.

Out of the two, i think id have picked Toney. Sorry Ollie. Keep plugging away.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, PaulC said:

Theres no hidden agenda from Southgate.  Hes picked his strongest squad. No way would he get in ahead of Rashford and Toney. 

People who genuinely think the bloke would risk losing his job and choose a weaker squad on purpose due to some sort of vendetta against Villa are bizarre 🤣 ( Now this doesn't necessarily mean his choices are right, but )

It appears they think people outside Villa are as obsessed with it as we are.

Similarly to the Fullback positions, there are a load of quality fullbacks who will never get into the squad because England are blessed there.

I've said there is a stronger argument for Mings not being included.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

People who genuinely think the bloke would risk losing his job and choose a weaker squad on purpose due to some sort of vendetta against Villa are bizarre 🤣 ( Now this doesn't necessarily mean his choices are right, but )

It appears they think people outside Villa are as obsessed with it as we are.

Similarly to the Fullback positions, there are a load of quality fullbacks who will never get into the squad because England are blessed there.

I've said there is a stronger argument for Mings not being included.

I don't think he has a vendetta against Villa at all, but I do think he wasn't a big fan of Jack's personality before.

But more to the point, the bloke is just clueless and boringly predictable to manage against!

• Like 1

On 16/03/2023 at 14:23, Steero113 said:

Absolutely disgusting that Kalvin Phillips is called up when players like Ollie are being overlooked. Literally downright outrageous. 

He's played 56 mins of PL football in 9 months. 56. Fifty f**king six. 

For context, neither me nor Kalvin Phillips have played a full game of premier league football this season. He must have JUST pipped me to the post. 

• Haha 1

Southgate has to pick Toney and take a look at him, get him his first England cap. I think as he's shown with Wilson, whoever is in form he'll bring to a world cup.

Toney deserves his chance and has been in form for Brentford.

• Like 1

Â