Ollie Watkins

alreadyexists

7 minutes ago, bobzy said:

Watkins is absolutely nothing like Vardy.

The way he used to press and run the channels and get in behind, there are similaraties hes just no where near as good or doesnt have the instinct like Vardy

I absolutely love Watkins, however, I have to agree that lately he doesn't seem as enthusiastic and his aggresive pressing has dipped down a few gears. I can't work understand why. If we get Ollie back to playing like he did last season he is an incredible asset but right now he needs to work much harder and improve his all round attitude. 

30 minutes ago, PaulC said:

The way he used to press and run the channels and get in behind, there are similaraties hes just no where near as good or doesnt have the instinct like Vardy

Press yes but he didn’t get in behind it was more far post tap ins and he doesn’t shoot with power like Vardy.

1 minute ago, gwi1890 said:

Press yes but he didn’t get in behind it was more far post tap ins and he doesn’t shoot with power like Vardy.

Just the pressing part then 😒, apart from that they are nothing alike. 

4 minutes ago, gwi1890 said:

There were times (at least 793 times I believe) last season when he hit the post or crossbar and the ball would Land about 30 yards out. He puts his foot through it to be fair. 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, gwi1890 said:

Who do you think he’s like?

Tough one. Vardy exceptional pace, underated in most ways, brilliant touch on him, brilliant finisher.

Watkins I don't think is quick at all, deceptively slow if anything. He ticks a lot of boxes but he isn't exceptional at anything. That's why he needs to be 100% every week in people's faces.

• Like 2

I thought the whole " doesn't celebrate when others score now " thing was bollox, but i've now seen more and more people saying they've noticed this, both on here and across social media.

When we score, I'm not usually taking note of these things as i'm mostly caught up in elation.

Seems there might be something to this?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

I thought the whole " doesn't celebrate when others score now " thing was bollox, but i've now seen more and more people saying they've noticed this, both on here and across social media.

When we score, I'm not usually taking note of these things as i'm mostly caught up in elation.

No he doesnt but did he last season or was no issue made of it?

Edited by PaulC

1 hour ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Who knows maybe he’s just the shy reserved type, Coutinho celebrated Ramsey’s goal and sprinted towards him from almost the halfway line.

• Like 1

Just now, Exeter Fan Too said:

Watkins was trained at the start of his career to focus on the next event after the team scoring, which sometimes takes precedence over celebrating. In interview after scoring his first senior goal at age 18 he explained why he didn't come and celebrate with those fans, including Midlands family members,    behind the goal in which he scored (video still available on YouTube). In that Exeter team the most senior pro - 600 league games - never celebrated goals.

When at Brentford Watkins continued focussing on what comes next. On one occasion Benrahma performed at outrageous piece of skill - IIRC an overhead volley that skimmed the bar - the crowd and commentators were in raptures and Benrahma sat admiring his handiwork and misfortune - it would have been a fantastic goal. Watkins ran over to Benrahma and pulled him to his feet ...the message clearly was, in effect, 'come on, we forwards have  got a goal kick to defend'. 

Thanks for enlightening us. That should end the discussion. 

It may explain his current form if he did do it last season but doesnt this season that something more behind it if not the history mentioned in the above comment from Exeter Fan Too said

To be honest, that is the least of my worries, he needs to get back playing like he did last season and then he can do what he likes.  Not celebrating after a goal has many pluses aside from celebrating a goal from feeling confidence and joy with you colleagues to disheartening the opposition seeing your celebration, plus how it impacts the fans from both sides seeing the celebration but if that's not what he wants to do then so be it but his actual playing needs sorting out.

23 minutes ago, PaulC said:

Thanks for enlightening us. That should end the discussion. 

Yeah, but he DOES ( Or has in the past ) celebrate goals when HE scores.... well here anyway.

That part at least, isn't made up.

Obviously, could most likely be nothing.

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN

9 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Yeah, but he DOES ( Or has in the past ) celebrate goals when HE scores.... well here anyway.

That part at least, isn't made up.

Obviously, could most likely be nothing.

Ok but if he wasnt celebrating other players goals last season then it shouldn't be an issue this season just because he isnt playing well. 

edit. Just watched back through the first few games and he didnt celebrate any incuding the late winner for Barkley against Leicester 

Edited by PaulC
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Exeter Fan Too said:

Watkins was trained at the start of his career to focus on the next event after the team scoring, which sometimes takes precedence over celebrating. In interview after scoring his first senior goal at age 18 he explained why he didn't come and celebrate with those fans, including Midlands family members,    behind the goal in which he scored (video still available on YouTube). In that Exeter team the most senior pro - 600 league games - never celebrated goals.

When at Brentford Watkins continued focussing on what comes next. On one occasion Benrahma performed at outrageous piece of skill - IIRC an overhead volley that skimmed the bar - the crowd and commentators were in raptures and Benrahma sat admiring his handiwork and misfortune - it would have been a fantastic goal. Watkins ran over to Benrahma and pulled him to his feet ...the message clearly was, in effect, 'come on, we forwards have  got a goal kick to defend'. 

I noticed he pulled Buendía back up on his feet after he was appealing for a foul (which wasn't), so there might be something in this. 

Maybe he's had his head turned by the Arsenal speculation? Who knows? Could be a hundred reasons why he's not performing as well as he was.

Â