Ollie Watkins

alreadyexists

Just now, rodders0223 said:

I remember when he used to work hard. Run channels. Get in people's faces. I remember him bullying Van Dijk.

Seems a long time ago now.

Them were the days.  On a serious note, what the hell has happened to him. 

Just now, rodders0223 said:

I remember when he used to work hard. Run channels. Get in people's faces. I remember him bullying Van Dijk.

Seems a long time ago now.

It feels as though the enthusiasm has worn off which isn’t good for a player whose hard work is his strongest asset. 

I thought Ollie was no good today.

However, the fact that we have 2 strikers in our squad who we largely believe to be quality and both are underperforming - does that point to a bigger issue than both of their bad form?

Will be interesting to see what Ings does given the opportunity to start. 

7 minutes ago, KangarooVillan said:

I thought Ollie was no good today.

However, the fact that we have 2 strikers in our squad who we largely believe to be quality and both are underperforming - does that point to a bigger issue than both of their bad form?

Will be interesting to see what Ings does given the opportunity to start. 

I honestly don’t think it’s much more complicated than Ings not fitting the system and Watkins being (for whatever reason) absolute garbage this season.

With Ings I’m just not sure it’s ever going to work. He doesn’t suit the more fluid style of play it seems. He’d me my choice over Watkins for his finishing, but chances never seem to fall to him.

We get absolutely no goals from our strikers and they’re just all coming from the attacking mids. Not sure it’s necessarily a concern but it would be nice for the strikers to contribute.

I’m honestly starting to think the best striker for the way we play right now is Keinan Davis…at least his on the ball work is good even if he doesn’t score. Ings doesn’t get chances but also doesn’t contribute, Watkins just kills every attack he’s involved in. 

2 minutes ago, Spoony said:

I honestly don’t think it’s much more complicated than Ings not fitting the system and Watkins being (for whatever reason) absolute garbage this season.

With Ings I’m just not sure it’s ever going to work. He doesn’t suit the more fluid style of play it seems. He’d me my choice over Watkins for his finishing, but chances never seem to fall to him.

We get absolutely no goals from our strikers and they’re just all coming from the attacking mids. Not sure it’s necessarily a concern but it would be nice for the strikers to contribute.

I’m honestly starting to think the best striker for the way we play right now is Keinan Davis…at least his on the ball work is good even if he doesn’t score. Ings doesn’t get chances but also doesn’t contribute, Watkins just kills every attack he’s involved in. 

You could well be right - only thing is though, I watched a lot of Southampton the last 2 seasons and Ings play for them showed no indication he wouldn’t fit the current system. All of his dynamism and quick clever interplay seems to be gone. He was fluid and clever and deadly for the Saints, and I’m struggling to come up with any reason why that wouldn’t suit the current setup to a tee. 

26 minutes ago, PieFacE said:

I didn't think he was that bad today in all honesty. 

Did all the running stuff but definitely didn't take any of his chances well.  I would be curious to see our crossing numbers. They have be down a bunch from last season. Alot of our creative stuff is on the ground now which probably suits Ings a bit more than Ollie. 

Don’t won’t to pile into the guy but the chance when he got in behind Mina was good movement followed by an average touch and an awful finish. 
the one that bothered me most was the header that Pickford saved, not because he didn’t bury the header which he should have done but because he was never onside! He was looking across the line the whole time and he was miles offside. Brainless football 

• Like 4

might be reading too much into it but body language just doesn't seem right. just seems to have lost something

as someone said above, that liverpool 7-2 seems a long time ago now. he's miles of the england team at this rate

52 minutes ago, tomav84 said:

might be reading too much into it but body language just doesn't seem right. just seems to have lost something

as someone said above, that liverpool 7-2 seems a long time ago now. he's miles of the england team at this rate

He doesn't have Grealish freeing up space for him and constantly feeding him. His final touch though still is lacking.

He didn't have a good game today and has definitely lost something. I just wish he was someone as important as Rashford, then maybe the media would start questioning him and maybe then he would get his mojo back.

Being that far offside earlier in the game is a situation you should expect a b****ing for, it was truly amateur. He needs to sit down with Stevie and have a chat I think, we can't be carrying passengers.

I think he’s struggling a little with the change in system. Definitely needs to work more to find the passes that Coutinho, Buendia and the full back wants to play. But he seems to be receiving the ball later in the counter, with more players to beat, and it’s not really his strength. One on one with a stretched defence and he was lethal last season. Maybe the delay of the full backs having the ball is allowing him to get crowded out in the box, I’m not sure.

Coaching staff need to get him in scoring positions as much as he needs to himself, and finish them. Work to be done all round.

3 minutes ago, a m ole said:

I think he’s struggling a little with the change in system. Definitely needs to work more to find the passes that Coutinho, Buendia and the full back wants to play. But he seems to be receiving the ball later in the counter, with more players to beat, and it’s not really his strength. One on one with a stretched defence and he was lethal last season. Maybe the delay of the full backs having the ball is allowing him to get crowded out in the box, I’m not sure.

Coaching staff need to get him in scoring positions as much as he needs to himself, and finish them. Work to be done all round.

You’re missing from your analysis his poor decision making, holding onto the ball too long, standing in the wrong places, not working so hard and when he gets chances he’s not able to finish them like last season.  He’s really regressed in so many parts of his game, I’m really worried he was a one season wonder.

Â