Ollie Watkins

alreadyexists

3 hours ago, rodders0223 said:

I remember when he used to work hard. Run channels. Get in people's faces. I remember him bullying Van Dijk.

Seems a long time ago now.

I’ve no issues with his work rate tbh. Think his form & confidence have just dropped off a bit - probably not helped by not getting a proper run of games in his preferred position.

1 minute ago, nick76 said:

You’re missing from your analysis his poor decision making, holding onto the ball too long, standing in the wrong places, not working so hard and when he gets chances he’s not able to finish them like last season.  He’s really regressed in so many parts of his game, I’m really worried he was a one season wonder.

I don’t agree he isn’t working as hard. The rest, yeah maybe but I guess it’s a symptom of being less comfortable with the system. If Ings wasn’t having similar issues I’d be inclined to be more critical

Just now, a m ole said:

I don’t agree he isn’t working as hard. The rest, yeah maybe but I guess it’s a symptom of being less comfortable with the system. If Ings wasn’t having similar issues I’d be inclined to be more critical

I’d like to Ings given a go on his own, when he did earlier in the season he scored 3 in 4 games and that was when we were poor under Smith.  Now the players are starting to settle and play, he hasn’t really been given time on his own and his game suits playing with Coutinho and Buendia than Ollie’s game so it’d be interesting to see him for a few games.

Rotten stuff today.

His confidence has been sapped badly trying to play 10 and not having a clue what he's doing. Plus of course he doesn't have the technique to play there even if he did.

I don't get the criticism at all.

I don't think his skill, touch, pace ability has changed at all this season (apart from when first coming back from injury), the issue is without Grealish he doesn't seem to be on the same wavelength of any other player, especially not Ings. 

But it seems that when he doesn't score he gets dog's abuse.

• Like 2

Just now, nick76 said:

I’d like to Ings given a go on his own, when he did earlier in the season he scored 3 in 4 games and that was when we were poor under Smith.  Now the players are starting to settle and play, he hasn’t really been given time on his own and his game suits playing with Coutinho and Buendia than Ollie’s game so it’d be interesting to see him for a few games.

I think that’s fair. I wouldn’t be opposed to or surprised to see Ings start next game

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Pissflaps said:

He's just had a baby.

What if it's a simple as he is getting no sleep 😂

It's funny to consider but wouldn't be the craziest thing. Patrick Mahomes, MVP of the NFL, just had his first kid and his performance from last season dropped off by a decent amount. 

I don't see a lack of effort from Watkins so you hope as the season goes on he finds his stride again. 

• Like 2

Just now, VillanousOne said:

the issue is without Grealish he doesn't seem to be on the same wavelength of any other player, especially not Ings. 

But it seems that when he doesn't score he gets dog's abuse.

You’ve answered your own comment. Of course he’s going to get abuse when for half a season he’s not on the same wavelength of any other player.  If he doesn’t score he’s a passenger in the game for us because he’s not on the same wavelength.

1 minute ago, nick76 said:

You thought he played well? Seriously?

I thought he was fine.

Full of energy. Was hazzling their defenders all day and did hold the ball up.

Your man Ings did actually nothing when he came on. Looked way off the pace.

• Thanks 2

I don't get the criticism either. He played well. It's a tough position to play. I almost feel like some people expect everything a lone striker does to come off and be perfect. There was plenty of good in his performance and he was a constant headache for the defenders. And there was nothing worse about this performance than he ever did last season.

Edited by Rolta

Just now, Stratvillan said:

Slightly patronising.

He worked hard  but made some poor decisions, which unfortunately is increasingly common. 

I assure you.

You will realize his importance when he isn't in the team.

For me Watkins is one of the first names on the team sheet

• Like 1

Just now, villalad21 said:

I thought he was fine.

Full of energy. Was hazzling their defenders all day and did hold the ball up.

Your man Ings did actually nothing when he came on. Looked way off the pace.

Well seeing as most thought Ollie was crap then I think you might want to watch the game again because he was a passenger in the game.

Ings had ten minutes and his job was to run down the game.  Coutinho had been took off and Buendia was taken off towards the end so we weren’t in creating mode.  Plus are you analysing 10 minute sub appearance? Hmmm 

I think Ings will start the next game, Ollie wasn’t on the same wavelength as the other players again…

Just now, nick76 said:

Well seeing as most thought Ollie was crap then I think you might want to watch the game again because he was a passenger in the game.

Ings had ten minutes and his job was to run down the game.  Coutinho had been took off and Buendia was taken off towards the end so we weren’t in creating mode.  Plus are you analysing 10 minute sub appearance? Hmmm 

I think Ings will start the next game, Ollie wasn’t on the same wavelength as the other players again…

I actually have re-watched the game mate and he had an absolutely fine game.

Not close to his best performance but far from bad.

Gerrard would tell you exactly the same thing.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, nick76 said:

You’ve answered your own comment. Of course he’s going to get abuse when for half a season he’s not on the same wavelength of any other player.  If he doesn’t score he’s a passenger in the game for us because he’s not on the same wavelength.

But by the same token half the team isn't on the same wavelength when it comes to the final attacking third, our lack of goals isn't just down to Watkins. 

Just now, villalad21 said:

I actually have re-watched the game mate and he had an absolutely fine game.

Not close to his best performance but far from bad.

Gerrard would tell you exactly the same thing.

So everybody else is wrong? Got it!

Not sure Gerrard would, Gerrard has high expectations and Ollie didn’t get close to that and the best comment for his game today is from you which was he had a fine game, which I’m sure Gerrard wouldn’t agree is an acceptable level.  So all the comments of how crap he was, I’m sure Gerrard will be less happy if he feels the same way.

Â