Ollie Watkins

alreadyexists

3 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

It's completely relevant when we're talking about how much a player has transformed from one manager to another

Particularly when we’re still in the same season of which the former manager played his part and we’re still dealing with the aftermath of his tenure.

Massive improvement in his first touch and its creating those goal scoring opportunities. He's sticking far more central so through balls are working wonders.

Edited by birdman

Imagine the shock when fans see a player told to focus on the things he's best at that are also positive EV for the team. Same applies to SJM and others.

But still we had "established" posters bemoaning the fact that it was impossible that any manager could get more out of this squad than Stevie G could, because "the fight wasn't there".

Think Ollie has shown enough to shut them up.

7 hours ago, birdman said:

Massive improvement in his first touch and its creating those goal scoring opportunities. He's sticking far more central so through balls are working wonders.

The wonders of fairly basic coaching advice.

What's key to him is this body shape Emery is coaching his players on. Saw exactly what benefits it has on MOTD. Your shape tells your teammates where to play the ball. So simple yet makes a huge amount of sense. Buendia being a through ball master when he plays as a 10 was always getting these for Ings. 

• Like 1

Watching the highlights on YouTube, I noticed how Ollie, before the ref blew for a pen, celebrated with glee having managed to prevent the Leicester forward from getting in front of him. I think that sums up what this team is now all about. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, sheepyvillian said:

Watching the highlights on YouTube, I noticed how Ollie, before the ref blew for a pen, celebrated with glee having managed to prevent the Leicester forward from getting in front of him. I think that sums up what this team is now all about. 

Yeah I saw that and Mings gave him a massive hug! Proper team player in my opinion

• Like 1

2 hours ago, duke313 said:

Don't think we'll lose him, but there could well be a couple teams interested in him in the summer; Spurs, Chelsea and United all need a striker.

I’d hope United and Chelsea would go for a more ‘glamorous’ name. He’d be silly to go to Spurs if they were interested - having said that they wouldn’t meet our asking price. He definitely needs a new contract though! Hopefully discussions are underway. 

You love to see it.

Ollie Watkins in talks with Aston Villa over a new contract

Emery said: ‘The striker is very important to me. I spoke with [Watkins] at the beginning about the relationship here. I told him that I want the best of you and the way he is doing; practising, being humble to improve. This is the way. 

‘Then, he has a big career to do in his future. It's very important as well to try and speak about other players because he is not going to score if his team-mates aren't helping him to do it.

'For us, Ollie Watkins is very important. He's not only scoring but his commitment every day, trying to add more work, watching his clips.

'He's the first defence in our idea, trying to be consistent. He's working very well with the high pressing. He's trying to fight with the defenders. He's scoring and he's adding the best quality as a striker - the goal.’

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-11948625/Ollie-Watkins-talks-Aston-Villa-new-contract-thanks-goal-scoring-form.html

• Like 2

Any new arrangement would propel Watkins into Villa’s top bracket of earners alongside Philippe Coutinho, Emi Martinez and Tyrone Mings.

That's weird, they missed out Digne. Amateurs :)

What a time for Ollie to have a run of form like this. He'll have the club over a barrell.

Edited by Tomaszk

Â