Ollie Watkins

alreadyexists

16 hours ago, KentVillan said:

Funny thing is, it's still very much the same Ollie Watkins. It's not like he's suddenly scoring worldies from outside the box. He's just being given the right service and used in the right way. The goal tonight was the sort of thing he's always been capable of.

And he's been told / coached on the right way to make use of that service, as well as his attributes.

Similarly to Mings saying " I'm now learning what it is to become a World Class Centreback " , i'm sure it is the same with Ollie.

Emery has dissected their strengths/weaknesses and our overall team attributes to find formula to bring the best out of them.

• Like 1

Halfway to Gabby's Villa PL record of 74.

Have to think he'll eventually get 14 more to reach 50. Going past Dion, Angel, Benteke, Barry, Joachim(!), Carew and Saunders.

Yorkie on 60 and Gabby definitely a possibility for him.

Edited by Tomaszk
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, TRO said:

but we haven't, so we are not.

it was a mistake, we move on to happier pastures.

I am not trying to be rude, but its moot IMO for folk to be harping on about a situation, which was clearly an error of judgment, by the club

I cringe now when I hear his name, not because I was anti Gerrard, because I wasn't...but because its like labouring an old argument.

He's gone, the club made an error, but they have more than made up for it with Unai.

Lets get back to Ollie......We have our Ollie back, enough to rejoice with that whole heartedly.

It's completely relevant when we're talking about how much a player has transformed from one manager to another

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

Halfway to Gabby's Villa PL record of 74.

Have to think he'll eventually get 14 more to reach 50. Going past Dion, Angel, Benteke, Barry, Joachim(!), Carew and Saunders.

Yorkie on 60 and Gabby definitely a possibility for him.

He'll never beat Joachim's career highlight of appearing in a Hollywood film though.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Chindie said:

He'll never beat Joachim's career highlight of appearing in a Hollywood film though.

What?! Off to Google I go.

Wow, Ridley Scott! Always wonder clips like that are chosen or just the first thing they can get hold of.

Edited by Tomaszk

5 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

What?! Off to Google I go.

Wow, Ridley Scott! Always wonder clips like that are chosen or just the first thing they can get hold of.

I, genuinely, think Hannibal is a better film because Joachim and that Villa side are featured briefly.

• Haha 1

I think it was Dan Bardell speaking on 5Live the other evening, on to speak about OW, who was asked about previous star strikers at the club. He had to go all the way back to Gary Shaw / Peter Withe as an answer.

Thought that nicely summed up our relative obscurity ever since.

1 hour ago, Stevo985 said:

Gabby being our record holder is a stain on the club. Sooner someone beats that the better

Only top scorer out of longevity and Lambert being afraid to drop him - Jack all to do with ability. His record is pretty woeful compared to games played.

I don’t think Olli scores this six months ago - more likely to scuff the ball imo.

This was a very good finish - I still can’t quite work out if he hit the ball with the outside of the boot, very much in the Mark Hughes type of goal, if so it’s an even better finish.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Kiwivillan said:

Contract to June 2025. We need to give him bumper deal. Can see the vultures circling next transfer window

I know those salary sites are unreliable, but according to Spotrac and Capology Villa now have 10 players earning more than him. I’m afraid he may not stick around for long unless he gets that new contract soon.

1 minute ago, MotoMkali said:

John Carew voiced a will Smith character for the Danish dubbing of it. 

Stan Collymore is in Basic Instinct 2.

Perhaps Ollie has more of a chance of Hollywood than we think.

1 hour ago, AvonVillain said:

I think it was Dan Bardell speaking on 5Live the other evening, on to speak about OW, who was asked about previous star strikers at the club. He had to go all the way back to Gary Shaw / Peter Withe as an answer.

We’ve had star strikers inbetween though. 
Yorke, Saunders, Benteke, Dion. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ChesterDad said:

Only top scorer out of longevity and Lambert being afraid to drop him - Jack all to do with ability. His record is pretty woeful compared to games played.

I know. All reasons why it’s a shame he’s the record holder

1 hour ago, AvonVillain said:

It’s not quite the same thing, but I think for a short while Atkinson and Saunders were probably the most feared strike partnership in the country.

And I would say that while those two might not be “star quality” individually, I think Yorke had that to spare. Peak career Alex Ferguson isn’t breaking the bank for just a good striker, he’s bringing in someone who’s going to take them to the next level.

Back on Watkins, I want to acknowledge that while I’ve been a supporter of him, it has been somewhat muted and reserved - I’ve appreciated his work rate and his character but I guess I’m kinda old fashioned with strikers and feel that finishing should be their best attribute (not full on Darren Bent, but you know what I mean). I am delighted that he has shown he’s capability in end product that I had thought was perhaps beyond him. Long may it continue.

13 minutes ago, ender4 said:

Watkins got a yellow for the ‘penalty’ challenge.  VAR can overturn penalties, but can’t overturn yellow cards. 

So does that mean Watkins still keeps the yellow card?

No - it was rescinded by the ref on the pitch. 

14 minutes ago, ender4 said:

Watkins got a yellow for the ‘penalty’ challenge.  VAR can overturn penalties, but can’t overturn yellow cards. 

So does that mean Watkins still keeps the yellow card?

No was overturned

Â