Ollie Watkins

alreadyexists

9 hours ago, Dave-R said:

Birmingham mail what a bunch of idiots.

They have only gone and wrote:

Villa striker Watkins was stood on the penalty spot with the ball ready to end a seven-game goal drought in the Premier League, but his wait for an 11th goal of the campaign goes on.

https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/aston-villa-fulham-penalty-controversy-20320796

now does that make sense to you at all because it doesn't to me 😂.

I guess technically there was a half hour window where the article was factually correct?

I still remain unconvinced by Watkins. Shame, cos for a few games not too long ago I thought he had convinced me.

There's something about his reading of the game/sloppy touch that limits him.

• Like 1

Just now, Tom13 said:

I still remain unconvinced by Watkins. Shame, cos for a few games not too long ago I thought he had convinced me.

Not sure. Sometimes it's about being on the same weve length as others on the pitch. For trezeguets second goal he makes a superb near post run. If Davies looks up it's a tap in for Watkins and another goal. It was good to see him getting in the box a bit more yesterday.

19 minutes ago, cheltenham_villa said:

Not sure. Sometimes it's about being on the same weve length as others on the pitch. For trezeguets second goal he makes a superb near post run. If Davies looks up it's a tap in for Watkins and another goal. It was good to see him getting in the box a bit more yesterday.

Yeah. Maybe I'm being a bit harsh and possibly expecting too much at times, he just leaves me frustrated quite often. Still, there have been plenty of positives from him and it's still very early days.

2 minutes ago, Tom13 said:

Yeah. Maybe I'm being a bit harsh and possibly expecting too much at times, he just leaves me frustrated quite often. Still, there have been plenty of positives from him and it's still very early days.

I know what you mean. It's a lot of money and with Jack out hes on of the players that we look to step up. On the other hand hes been very unlucky with a couple of disallowed goals and will likely finish around the 14-15 prem goals mark which is a good return.

44 minutes ago, Tom13 said:

My brother made a comment yesterday about him being on his heels too much in the box. I said if our wide players were better he can do his work in between the width of the box. Hence he won't be as tired.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GingerCollins29 said:

Watkins is not the finished article by a long shot. Has flaws in his game.

However its his first season in the prem, as a lone striker. He's only 24, his work rate is phenomenal and he gets in the right positions more often than not. He's scored double figures already and has also hit the woodwork 6 or 7 times. His ceiling is high and with more experience and coaching i think he could be brilliant for years to come

If we stopped trying to play balls to him, like he is Keinan Davis, it might help as well.

4 hours ago, Tom13 said:

Right I'm not sure if your plain daft or trolling with that comment but that's just ridiculous to even say.

There is nothing wrong with his read of the game.

First season without any real proper Wingers to deliver a decent set amount of cross/passes to him and you want to question the lad.

Of course he's going to have some faults, he's just risen from being a different positioned player and converting to a striker, to scoring a ton in the champ to joining a prem outfit trying to build a team. I think there are alot of factors in place as to why Watkins hasn't scored more. Take var and referee decisions away and he'd have way more goals and this was before all var came in. We would then be claiming he's a wonder world class striker for what he would have put into the net.

Personally I have a straight Jacket all ready for you mate.

mad max actor GIF

Edited by Dave-R
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Dave-R said:

Right I'm not sure if your plain daft or trolling with that comment but that's just ridiculous to even say.

There is nothing wrong with his read if the game.

First season without any real proper Wingers to deliver a decent set amount of cross/passes to him and you want to question the lad.

mad max actor GIF

You know, that is a fairly mad comment, even for Villatalk.

7 minutes ago, briny_ear said:

You know, that is a fairly mad comment, even for Villatalk.

I added extra you know, I wasn't finished 😏.

You can't expect much from him, he fights every step of the way for us and most of the time he makes something out of nothing.

He doesn't have proper delivery support most of the time.

I do not know where all this sillyness comes from but imagine Watkins before the VAR came in and all the dissalowed goals not being dissalowed, how many would he be on now??

The lad has had many chalked off and still may get more in the last ten or so games of the season.

Edited by Dave-R

25 minutes ago, Dave-R said:

I added extra you know, I wasn't finished 😏.

You can't expect much from him, he fights every step of the way for us and most of the time he makes something out of nothing.

He doesn't have proper delivery support most of the time.

I do not know where all this sillyness comes from but imagine Watkins before the VAR came in and all the dissalowed goals not being dissalowed, how many would he be on now??

The lad has had many chalked off and still may get more in the last ten or so games of the season.

Fine, if you take out the slightly mad and aggressive stuff about straight-jackets, there is the basis of a discussion there.

I like Watkins a lot and think he has a lot of potential. But he hasn’t quite gelled in the side yet. Can’t really work out what it’s down to but I don’t think you can blame VAR. Maybe he is not being supported properly by the rest of the team and the way they play, maybe he lacks confidence, maybe both.

I don’t think he is such a cast-iron brilliant performer that it is right to try to slap down any critical comments with threats of sectioning. 🙂

• Like 1

4 hours ago, GingerCollins29 said:

Watkins is not the finished article by a long shot. Has flaws in his game.

However its his first season in the prem, as a lone striker. He's only 24, his work rate is phenomenal and he gets in the right positions more often than not. He's scored double figures already and has also hit the woodwork 6 or 7 times. His ceiling is high and with more experience and coaching i think he could be brilliant for years to come

This is spot on!

First year in the top division, scoring goals and putting enough work in to get an England call up...

I think he has all the attributes to be a fantastic player for us

6 hours ago, Dave-R said:

There is nothing wrong with his read of the game.

Of course he's going to have some faults, he's just risen from being a different positioned player and converting to a striker, to scoring a ton in the champ to joining a prem outfit trying to build a team. I think there are alot of factors in place as to why Watkins hasn't scored more. Take var and referee decisions away and he'd have way more goals and this was before all var came in. We would then be claiming he's a wonder world class striker for what he would have put into the net.

mad max actor GIF

The fact you disagree with me so strongly just further reinforces my thoughts.

• Confused 1

On 05/04/2021 at 14:01, Tom13 said:

It’s his control which has regressed a lot after a very good beginning. I can’t fault him now but even the last couple of games with Jack it was the same. Especially the West Ham game. 
The problem is two of our wingers can’t control the ball at all. El Ghazi and Trez. Traore is good but he play risky ball (which he should with the lack of solutions). McGinn’s the same. 

8 hours ago, gwi1890 said:

Anybody noticed he barely celebrates goals? He looks up and waits just in case var is going to screw him over as they have done numerous times this season 

Can't blame him, he's been done for at least 3 times. He also had a 1 on 1 against their keeper rules out in the first half for a presumed foul by Traore, i only saw one replay and it didn't looks like a foul to me. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, abdulaziz1 said:

It’s his control which has regressed a lot after a very good beginning. I can’t fault him now but even the last couple of games with Jack it was the same. Especially the West Ham game. 
The problem is two of our wingers can’t control the ball at all. El Ghazi and Trez. Traore is good but he play risky ball (which he should with the lack of solutions). McGinn’s the same. 

Control tends to go when a player gets tired and I think that's what we're seeing with some of the players. Watkins works so hard, it's both a major plus to his game and also a reason why he probably looks like he struggles with control.

Ideally, we will have players around him next year that allow him to stay more central more often.

That said, he has been a great buy and has a good goal return for his first year 

14 hours ago, picicata said:

That said, he has been a great buy and has a good goal return for his first year 

There's been plenty of big money strikers who've had moves to the Prem and then flopped badly, considering how much bad luck he's had with VAR and the woodwork he's still on track to finish with a decent return for the season

Â