Ollie Watkins

alreadyexists

4 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

We could probably only get players are low on the pecking order at their clubs, kind of like how we signed Mings. Who would we even want that fits that criteria? I could only think of Iheanacho (I actually rate him). The PL experience canard is so overblown because if you're actually serious about pursuing that as a strategy, you end up like West Ham or Sunderland from the last decade. It's really slim pickings out there.

Good post. Slim pickings and extortionate prices. As a club we need to be weary of bring in the wrong sort of player for stupid money. Plodders being happy to just get a new contract or a money move. On that basis I'm all for picking up the best players from the Championship or abroad. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, Spray said:

If you're getting at the signing of him back then would be like the signing of Watkins now to prove some point, then you're barking up the wrong tree.

Would you sign Chris Wood from Burnley?

Why won't you answer the simple question put in front of you?

No, I would not sign Chris wood from Burnley. I think he's a decent striker, but wouldn't fit the Dean Smith mould and style of play at all.

41 minutes ago, Mjvilla said:

Why won't you answer the simple question put in front of you?

No, I would not sign Chris wood from Burnley. I think he's a decent striker, but wouldn't fit the Dean Smith mould and style of play at all.

Why not? I think that Smith is that good a manager that he can change the system that he employs to suit the players that he has at his disposal 

Just now, sir_gary_cahill said:

Why not? I think that Smith is that good a manager that he can change the system that he employs to suit the players that he has at his disposal 

I don't think Smith would want to change his system for a player like wood. Wood is not a good enough striker to change the system Smith has set up.

1 minute ago, Mjvilla said:

I don't think Smith would want to change his system for a player like wood. Wood is not a good enough striker to change the system Smith has set up.

Wood is a good player but you need wingers for him, proper wingers not regular wide players. Wood with Young and Downing would be a great combination

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Sky sports say we are preparing a bid. Brace yourselves!

That said bid is being launched overnight I’m told But I am led to believe it is only an opening bid

2 hours ago, Paulie said:

List of goal scorers with 25+ in one season at the Championship level, since 2015:

• Mitrovic, 19/20
  • Watkins, 19/20
  • Pukki, 18/19
  • Abraham, 18/19
  • Maupay, 18/19
  • Wood, 16/17
  • Andre Gray, 15/16

Pretty decent company.  Only one to not have a shot at the top division thus far is Ollie.  

Yet...he will have his chance with us. 

Edited by Vive_La_Villa

54 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Sky sports say we are preparing a bid. Brace yourselves!

Isn't it just a quick email saying 'to whom it may concern, I would like to purchase oliie Watkins for £20m. Up for it? Cheers. '. No need to announce that to sky sports. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Made In Aston said:

Isn't it just a quick email saying 'to whom it may concern, I would like to purchase oliie Watkins for £20m. Up for it? Cheers. '. No need to announce that to sky sports. 

Nah a lot goes in to preparing the opening bid which is why it’s taken so long. Should be ready soon...

spacer.png

• Haha 2

56 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

Bet most of them took pens as well. If Watkins took their penalties, he’d have scored 31 goals. 

Would have been a Championship record.

Brentfort were awarded 6 penalties last season and scored 5. The 1 was missed by Watkins himself funnily enough :lol:

Haven’t seen too much of Watkins, but that which I have he seems a positive and aggressive goal getter, good movement and reads the game well. His goal tally has been very respectable in an attacking focused team and at 24 (25 this year) is entering his prime.

The key for me though is the relationship with Smith, great for both parties, both believe in each other. This is SO important.

The same goes for Benrahma too. They would fight to the death for each other and with Suso gone I think Smith wants to prove his critics wrong with his own trusted players.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, thunderball said:

Haven’t seen too much of Watkins, but that which I have he seems a positive and aggressive goal getter, good movement and reads the game well. His goal tally has been very respectable in an attacking focused team and at 24 (25 this year) is entering his prime.

The key for me though is the relationship with Smith, great for both parties, both believe in each other. This is SO important.

The same goes for Benrahma too. They would fight to the death for each other and with Suso gone I think Smith wants to prove his critics wrong with his own trusted players.

Exactly right. Also last season was his first as a proper CF, so he should keep improving as he grows into the role. 

I don’t think the problem will be with him scoring, it’ll be keeping him here next summer. 

Â