Pre Match Thread - Villa's Last Stand !

Paul33

Its going to be hard to strike a balance in this game whereby we cant go gung-ho desperate for the win from the off. If we concede early theres nothing to say we might have a torrid away day like has happened on a regular occurrence this season and find ourselves 3-0 down against a side of decent footballers with zero pressure on them. Then all of a sudden even if Watford are 1-0 down we’re back in the shit on GD. 

We need to play with the same courage and conviction of the last 3 games where we are solid and still create. But my worry is the mindset of chasing is completely different to the one where you have something to hold. Dean will make all the right noises about going for the win just like we have been recently, but subconsciously those players know we are above the dotted line and they’ve proven to be fragile all season when trying to see something out. Everyone needs to be on it, and hopefully it all works out. Im praying the other games will work in our favour. Its going to be horrific Sunday, this means so much to our club and where we can strive to go if we do it. 

48 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Injury time. Remember Sheffield United in 1994? 

Yes, well vaguely, but then I've just watched this 93/94 season last day

They were 4 places above relegation at half time only to concede the winning goal against Chelsea in injury time to go down. 

Disclaimer: if you watch the 3 minute video in the above link, you will feel sick about Sunday

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, It's Your Round said:

Yes, well vaguely, but then I've just watched this 93/94 season last day

They were 4 places above relegation at half time only to concede the winning goal against Chelsea in injury time to go down. 

Disclaimer: if you watch the 3 minute video in the above link, you will feel sick about Sunday

15 GIFs For When Your Life is a Mess but You're Pretending It's ...

• Like 1

They are one of the in form teams in the league and will want to go out with a bang. Need to watch out for the late runs into the box from Soucek and try and stop Rice dictating the game. It will be a tough game.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

8 hours ago, John said:

Its in our hands, if we win nobody can catch us and we will be playing Premier League football next season.

Sadly this isn't the case. Even if we win we need to better Watford's score and winning goal difference to have a chance of staying up.

• Confused 1

The reality is, the pressure is completely different now. Previously we looked dead and buried and had nothing to lose and were chasing, in the hope that others drop pts. Now our destiny is in our own hands and we have everything to lose. A totally new kind of pressure. I hope the boys step up and I trust that we will. 

Edited by MikeAVFC

53 minutes ago, roonst83 said:

Sadly this isn't the case. Even if we win we need to better Watford's score and winning goal difference to have a chance of staying up.

If we win watford need to win by 3

• Like 2

11 hours ago, cb_82 said:

i have a horrible feeling we are going to get beat 2-0 and will be relying on everything else to go our way....

At least it’s still in our hands, we’ve done very well just to get to a stage where we are in the best position of the three teams in trouble. I think we’ll draw with West Ham, a cagey 0-0, and Watford lose to Arse. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, wedge said:

I'm calling it now. Bournemouth will stay up and us and Watford will drop. I just think they'll win at Goodison.

Don't see it. If anything Watford shithousing a point and us losing is our biggest threat imo. Don't see Bournemouth winning

Edited by MikeAVFC

32 minutes ago, wedge said:

I'm calling it now. Bournemouth will stay up and us and Watford will drop. I just think they'll win at Goodison.

What I’ve been thinking and saying. 

A small part of me wishes we were in Watford's or Bournemouth's position and not favourites to stay up, just feels like the disappointment is going to be a thousand times worse if we go down now after giving us such a good chance with the win against Arsenal.

I think we are going to need at least one point and it terrifies me immensely that we are going to go a goal down early and never recover. 

I really hope to God I'm wrong. I suppose as supporters you always fear the worst and tbh I feel more anxious coming on here, so I blame my fellow Villans 🤪

I'm 75% turning off my TV and phone 4 till 6🐱😅

• Like 1
  • Sad 1