Pre Match Thread - Villa's Last Stand !

Paul33

10 hours ago, wilko154 said:

The incentive of being able to relegate Troy Deeney should be enough for every single player in claret and blue on Sunday... West Ham players included.

And Arsenal! Don't forget his mouthy comments about how Arsenal are all p u ssies? 

On 22/07/2020 at 10:19, rjw63 said:

I've been forecasting relegation for months now. There really hasn't been any hope whatsoever.

Until now.

So, you **** better deliver now, Villa. Make sure I have to eat the worlds biggest humble pie. I'd very much enjoy every spoonful.

Same as the above. Since we drew with the cabbage I have been resigned to relegation. Even after the win at palace I was sure we were going down. The late goal by Walcott confirmed we were relegated. There was no hope. None. 

Now suddenly by some miracle if we can win one measly game versus a side coached by gollum we can win the premier league next season. Some turnaround.  

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Nigel said:

Remember the old days where there was nothing riding on the last game of the season?

According to the sky commentators Purslow described relegation as a £200m catastrophe. 

52 minutes ago, Robtaylor200 said:

Is any one actually looking forward to this match I may listen in to sky just to watch Geoff go into melt down 

I'll be in Wales, and the pubs aren't open properly yet.

Probably be forced to listen to Talkshite or whatever football is on these days.

16 hours ago, Herman22 said:

I worry the Villa players will adopt this mentality.

I think their overall mental strength and focus can't really be in doubt IMO.

The last game,  they were all properly on it so to speak.

They need to carry this on for only 90 minutes more for what would be the great escape to the max.  It's one thing performing a great escape with home support pushing you on,  we were 7 points and dead and they still lifted themselves to give us a chance & did this to in empty stadiums,  that can't be underestimated.

I was mentally finished when the equalizer went in in the 87th minute a week or so ago.  I almost cried,  it was devastating.

They'll do for me at the moment,  mentally I don't think they can do anymore.

Edited by Amsterdam_Neil_D
  • Like 1

I do worry about Watford in that in football a result can just drop out of the sky when least expected. Also they will think if we can beat Arsenal then they can. I think Bournemouth will pick up a point. West Ham have been turd most of the season but seem to be clicking now. I just hope the relief of staying up means they relax. I can see us getting a point there ordinarily but thn just hope Watford don't win as that Deeney's mug gloating would be too much 

Edited by VillaJ100
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, It's Your Round said:

Yeah at least we’ll know by the end of the 90 mins. I’d hate to just be sat waiting on another result to go our way. 

Injury time. Remember Sheffield United in 1994? 

One additional advantage we may have going into the last round of matches is that West Ham will not be desperate for 3 points, thus I can see both teams settling for a draw in the final minutes if Watford are losing to Arsenal.  Also Burnley not losing to Brighton helps, as BHA are competing against West Ham for 15th spot - which is worth an additional GBP 3M or so