Pre-Match Thread

lukesmith17

My team for today would be...

Reina
    Konsa - Mings - Hause

Freddy   -  Dougie - Conor - Targett
                    Grealish
          Samatta    -     Davis

Go for the win, **** it, get more bodies up the pitch, we need to start winning games. 

Edited by PieFacE

Does really feel like the last chance saloon.  I know everyone else around us is also shite, so mathematically survival will be possible, but 3 points would be so, so sweet at this point.

1 hour ago, sidcow said:

Get It Together Whatever GIF by Amanda Cee Media

Ten years ago I'd have been pulling my hair out with rage/stress.

Now? Don't care too much. I'll listen to radio comms and watch occasional games at my sisters, but I'm not bothered what division.

Don't get me wrong, I'd like Villa to stay up. But if they don't it's not the end of the world.

• Like 3

If there ever was a must win game this season this is it! Lose and I will concede we are definitely down. St James without 50k smelly geordies roaring them on could be ours for the taking! 

Please turn things around.

I think that a pair of much ostracised players could prove pivotal in this game, ElGhazi and Douglas Luiz. Technically they are both good, and Douglas Luiz has had good form from the opening two games. As long as we aren’t physically done in and we don’t sit as per the Chelsea game, then this game can be won with the more technical players. Steve Bruce will get out thought, no question. Newcastle have Saint-Maximin as their only real weapon and we should have plans for him, he’s their Adama Traore. I don’t think we’ll come under anything like the sustained pressure (brought on by ourselves) that we saw against Chelsea, I’m sure that ElGhazi will find more time and space to work in, as will Douglas Luiz. With Luiz at the base of midfield I feel he could dictate this game, and he’ll hopefully be able to find the likes of ElGhazi and Davis with more space to operate in, as I’m certain we’ll see Grealish singled out for special treatment by a couple of Newcastle players every time he gets the ball. To be honest, Jack probably needs to be instructed to release the ball earlier when he’s in the attacking half, more one and two touch stuff that draws the players in but the balls gone before they foul him. It would help our other attacking players as well, encouraging them to play more of a part. I think opposition teams have gotten used to Grealish holding the ball, and they have plenty of time to foul him. I just think our play could be a bit more snappy if Grealish pops the ball off one/two  touch more often. There’d be pockets of space to exploit behind opposition players with Grealish drawing in a couple of defenders every time he gets the ball, just don’t keep settling for the inevitable foul that breaks up play. 
Don’t know who’s fresh and the likely starting lineup, but I’ll go 2-1 to Villa. 

• Like 1

He will swap Trezegeut for McGinn.

He will bring in Elmo and drop out Hause

He will go 4-4-2 narrow with Nakamba and Jack and will go 2 up top.

Going two up top, the last act of a man who has run out of ideas. I suspect he has and if the above happens it confirms it.

• Like 1

Didn't we last beat Newcastle at St James Park 15 years ago, during the infamous Dyer/Bowyer fight game? I might be wrong, but I can't think of any grounds that we've played at at least a few times in the league where we have not won there at least once since then. We've beaten City, Liverpool, Chelsea, Man United, Spurs, Arsenal etc away much more recently.

On 22/06/2020 at 20:04, Davkaus said:

I remember an interview with Gabby years ago where he said he'd not chase the ball unless it seemed worth it because O'Neill wanted his legs fresh so he could still have a burst of pace towards the end of the game.

I expect it's also that valuable advice which helped Gabby maintain his excellent fitness levels in the latter part of his career. 

1 hour ago, rjw63 said:

Ten years ago I'd have been pulling my hair out with rage/stress.

Now? Don't care too much. I'll listen to radio comms and watch occasional games at my sisters, but I'm not bothered what division.

Don't get me wrong, I'd like Villa to stay up. But if they don't it's not the end of the world.

Think that sentiment is echoed with a lot of people sadly mate. 

I’ve resigned myself to the fact we’re going down now to be honest. Take a few scalps if possible but we’re not staying up. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Mantis said:

Didn't we last beat Newcastle at St James Park 15 years ago, during the infamous Dyer/Bowyer fight game? I might be wrong, but I can't think of any grounds that we've played at at least a few times in the league where we have not won there at least once since then. We've beaten City, Liverpool, Chelsea, Man United, Spurs, Arsenal etc away much more recently.

That was comical. The same match where Steven Taylor took a bullet wasn’t it? 

13 minutes ago, rodders0223 said:

1. He will swap Trezegeut for McGinn.

2. He will bring in Elmo and drop out Hause

3. He will go 4-4-2 narrow with Nakamba and Jack and will go 2 up top.

Going two up top, the last act of a man who has run out of ideas. I suspect he has and if the above happens it confirms it.

1. The only way that happens is if Trezeguet comes in for El Ghazi, we stick to a 4-3-3 and (probably) Nakamba comes in for McGinn. If Trezeguet comes in it won't be a like for like swap with McGinn. But I can't see either way Trez starting or McGinn being dropped (despite looking lethargic since his return).

2. Possibly, but I don't think it would be the worst decision in the world. Hause as done OK, Elmo usually does OK. If we stick as a back 4 then it's hardly nonsensical to put a natural right back in at right back. But hopefully Guilbert is fit as he is quicker than Elmo and IMO be better suited to this game. He would also, (again IMO), be better suited as a wing back in a 3-5-2 - Which would probably mean Hause retains his place anyway.

3. Not sure if you are insinuating he will play Nakamba and Grealish as a central midfield pair but I am very confident that wont happen. No way Luiz will not play given he has probably been our best player overall since the return. I think most fans are wanting us to play two up top so again this wouldn't scream out to me as a manager who has run out of ideas, I think majority would be happy that he's mixed it up.

22 minutes ago, Mantis said:

I thought maybe Everton but checked and the last time we beat them at Goodison was 2008. 

Keeper is a tricky one .. Nyland who can save shots but can't catch v Reina who can catch but can't save shots  ..  but on the basis that Nyland gives me a heart attack every time the ball goes in the area I'd go with

Steer

Elmo - Hause - Mings - Targett

Nakamba

McGinn  -   Luiz

Grealish

Samatta - Davis

5 minutes ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

McGinn, everyone thought he'd come back and save us.

Remember he started the season well and then got found out. Championship player I'm afraid.

I have to disagree, I think when he’s fit and in form there’s not many teams outside the top 4 he’d struggle to get in. Although he does seem to struggle if he’s not at full fitness. Maybe it’s just due to the way he plays, his game has him doing a lot of running and shielding.

7 minutes ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

McGinn, everyone thought he'd come back and save us.

Remember he started the season well and then got found out. Championship player I'm afraid.

Yeah, he's played like a man coming back from a broken ankle that's kept him out for months on end, oh wait, he is!