Pre-Match Thread

lukesmith17

40 minutes ago, SuperTed said:

That was comical. The same match where Steven Taylor took a bullet wasn’t it? 

Yep, people often forget that part. bowyer and Dyer's red cards actually took them down to 8 men (we were already 3-0 up)

What I wouldn't give for a comfortable 3-0 win tonight!

Hang on a minute, his form dropped off a cliff before his injury!

If he's currently not fit and we are carrying him then he should be on the bench, otherwise he's a passenger.

Edited by Zhan_Zhuang

14 minutes ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

@7392craig yes mate, I hope you are right of course....apologies I'm being a bit defeatist about this return to football.

Of course I hope he can return to his earlier season form, I have my doubts though about his speed and fitness levels.

I do think his lack of pace has been more prominent in the PL. But I think he was getting better at using his body better. The playing through injury and subsequent broken ankle stopped any progress he might have been making. Let’s see how he gets on as he’s reaching full fitness.

2 minutes ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

Hang on a minute, his form dropped off a cliff before his injury!

If he's currently not fit and we are carrying him then he should be on the bench, otherwise he's a passenger.

I understand what you’re saying, but to regain full match fitness he needs games. He won’t get match sharp just training.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, alreadyexists said:

I thought maybe Everton but checked and the last time we beat them at Goodison was 2008. 

I might be wrong, but the three teams whose grounds we haven't won at for the longest in the league (excluding teams we've only played a few times recently, e.g. Leicester, Brighton etc) are Newcastle (2005), Man City (2007) and Everton (2008). City is understandable as they've been a top team for the past decade or so but it's weird how poor we've been at Newcastle when you consider that in those 15 years they've usually been bottom half.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, wedge said:

Reina

Konsa Mings Hause

Elmo                    Targett

McGinn  Luiz

Grealish

Samatta Davis

That would be my team. 

Tonight really is do or die I fear. 

1 minute ago, av1 said:

That would be my team. 

Tonight really is do or die I fear. 

Me too mate, must win. Lose and I think it's curtains to be honest. Can't even bear to watch it, me watching won't have any effect on the result and we're not exactly bundles of fun to watch at the moment are we?!

Just now, wedge said:

Me too mate, must win. Lose and I think it's curtains to be honest. Can't even bear to watch it, me watching won't have any effect on the result and we're not exactly bundles of fun to watch at the moment are we?!

I don't subscribe to BT so I'll probably not watch either. I'd normally be going out of my mind for a stream but I just feel so pessimistic about us at the moment. 

The Chelsea game was grim. Rather then BLM we may aswell have had ' we've given up' on the back of our shirts. 

Just now, av1 said:

I don't subscribe to BT so I'll probably not watch either. I'd normally be going out of my mind for a stream but I just feel so pessimistic about us at the moment. 

The Chelsea game was grim. Rather then BLM we may aswell have had ' we've given up' on the back of our shirts. 

Agreed. McGinn is understandably so far off the pace it's hard to watch. Grealish looks like he knows he's got his transfer sorted so isn't risking injury (him being out on the left doesn't help) and without those two firing we really haven't got much.

2 minutes ago, wedge said:

Agreed. McGinn is understandably so far off the pace it's hard to watch. Grealish looks like he knows he's got his transfer sorted so isn't risking injury (him being out on the left doesn't help) and without those two firing we really haven't got much.

Agreed. Which is why I think I'd go with your lineup above. 

It was embarrassing watching Samatta and Davis against Chelsea. Not through any fault of their own, but they were simply up against 2/3 every time with absolutely no support. So they were quickly dispossessed and we were straight away on the back foot. 

Has to be worth a shot playing them together. 

4 minutes ago, Chindie said:

We aren't going to be playing 2 up top.

It'll be the same lineup as Sunday. Perhaps with a couple rotating in at most.

And it'll be awful.

Not sure mate, the Burnley game suggested that Smith will change it when things get desperate. 

30 minutes ago, av1 said:

Not sure mate, the Burnley game suggested that Smith will change it when things get desperate. 

I'll believe it when I see it. Smith plays with 1 striker. He will feel we've played pretty well over the past 2 games, and that means he ain't changing anything.