Pre-Match Thread

lukesmith17

9 hours ago, GingerCollins29 said:

How did you expect the last 10 games to go? 6 points from sheff u and chelsea?

I probably expected 0 or maybe 1 point from Sheff and Chelsea. But I’m pessimistic about our remaining fixtures :(  I can’t see us beating Newcastle on Weds

• Like 1

I think  we are now in the must win territory , after Newcastle its Wolves  Liverpool Man U  CPalace  Everton  Arsenal  Spam  we have to get to something around 37 38 points  so 11 points required min . Newcastle is must win! then 8 more points in Severn from that lot  ! 🤨

• Like 1

On a positive note, I do think our back four seem fairly good and have built a bit of a partnership. So that is one good thing, if only it had come In February though, I think it might be a little too late given the fixtures we have. 

21 hours ago, WakefieldVillan said:

I would go for the following (if Guilbert is fit);        

Nyland

Guilbert    Konsa  Mings   Targett

Luiz   Nakamba  McGinn          

Grealish       

Samatta      Davis

Subs; Reina, Elmo, Taylor, Hause, Hourihane, Jota, Trezeguet, El Ghazi, Vassilev

Need every one of them up for it right from kick off, they have had two games under their belt now and should be feeling fitter by each day, no crowd in this one should definitely work in our favour, we need to press high from the front and not give them f*****s an inch.

Get the ball down, get it to feet, pass and move, get Jack on the ball and lets dominate possession. We need it much more than they do, let's show it. We need to press as a team and defend as a team and we need Konsa and Mings to be switched on for the full 90 - they have serious pace up front and if we stop that threat we have a great chance. Time for Super John McGinn to find some form too - if he's knackered after 60 bring Jack back and bang Jota in the hole - yes he's a lightweight mother f***** but he can play a bit and to be honest the fact he hasn't played is the only reason why I'd bring him on - because the likes of AEG and Trez are constantly failing to perform.

Prediction - Newcastle 1 v 3 Villa 

UTV

This has to be the team for me. If Guilbert isn't fit Elmo to substitute.

Gives a kind of threat off the bench in the form of Conor's free kicks, Jota as mentioned above, and chance for El Ghazi to realise he's not untouchable and does need to perform.

Weirdly, my biggest concern with this team is our supposed two best players. They have to start (primarily because there is noone else), but McGinn and Grealish both need to up their games.  I think this formation is the best chance of them doing that.

Edited by MrBlack
typos
  • Thanks 1

I don’t think changing the formation is right for this game. Smith has a good record against Bruce’s teams, and that’s a result of Smith’s trusted formations beating the Bruce set-up.

If we switch it to 2-up top, we’ll play long balls a lot more than we’ve seen recently (which is quite a lot anyway), and we’ll be playing Bruceball against the master.

Personally I’d stick with the same team, but maybe throw in Jota or Trez for El Ghazi, as El Ghazi hasn’t looked confident to me. Or, if just getting Samatta on the pitch is what everyone’s desperate for then I’d play him wide instead of Anwar.

7 minutes ago, Rob182 said:

I don’t think changing the formation is right for this game. Smith has a good record against Bruce’s teams, and that’s a result of Smith’s trusted formations beating the Bruce set-up.

If we switch it to 2-up top, we’ll play long balls a lot more than we’ve seen recently (which is quite a lot anyway), and we’ll be playing Bruceball against the master.

Personally I’d stick with the same team, but maybe throw in Jota or Trez for El Ghazi, as El Ghazi hasn’t looked confident to me. Or, if just getting Samatta on the pitch is what everyone’s desperate for then I’d play him wide instead of Anwar.

Very good point Rob. I agree with this. I suppose it depends on fitness, Jota isn’t quick but he does have a great eye for a pass and movement. Got to play Conor too in my eyes, as we’re bound to rack up the free kicks and he needs to be on for that.

Bruce will send out at least one player to just sit on Grealish. He will rack up a huge amount of free kicks in this game so Conor is needed for delivery. 

I agree with Rob that DS has the edge over SB over the last few years so let's hope that remains on tomorrow. 

I think anything less than 3 points here and we are in trouble. 

We could record our second double of the season on Wednesday. Think back to last November, when we beat Newcastle 2-0 and they were lucky to have got nil. They really aren't that good are they? After that match, they had looked like the team that would be occupying a place in the bottom three, rather than ourselves. They came to Villa Park looking for a point and we can't afford to make that same mistake tomorrow.

We last won at St James' Park in 2005 (3-0). That was the game they finished with 8 men, following a fight between Kieron Dyer and Lee Bowyer, oh how we all laughed that day :D!  Since then we have drawn 4 and have lost 7 of our games up there. Overall, we have won 52 and have drawn 36 of the 157 league games, that have been played between the two clubs. 

Newcastle fans have had a problem with us for some years now, but won't be able to voice it tomorrow. To quote one of their numerous former managers, they "will love it" if they could win this game and by doing so, play a part in sending us down. This is a game that we can't afford to lose though and it's a game that we really could do with getting three points from.

Currently there is only a point and an inferior goal difference, that keeps us below the next two clubs, and two that stands between us and Watford. Those gaps aren't yet insurmountable, but games will soon start to run out and the odds of closing gaps that might soon grow, will quickly shorten. For example, look at how Arsenal's gift of a late win to Brighton, has seen what had been a 3-point gap turn into a 6-point chasm. Just win this one for us Villa!  🤞🤞🤞    

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Rob182 said:

Totally valid points,  which I guess goes to show how difficult its going to be for Dean.

Assuming he sticks with the formation and we win,  people will see it as the minimum needed,  and he's a one trick pony.  If he sticks and we lose, he's really screwed, not learning,  how did he not see it coming.

If he swaps and we lose, your arguments become "the blindingly obvious in hindsight", but if he swaps and we win it was something that had to happen given the trash preformances we've seen since the restart.

Who'd be a manager/ head coach

Edited by MrBlack
  • Like 1

Fairly sure Bruce is going to be the person to send us down - maybe some poetic justice there for how some of our fans treated him in the later days...

Agree that we have to go for a formation with 3 CBs...

Steer (where is he??)

Elmo Konsa Mings Hause Targett

McGinn Nakamba Luiz

Grealish 

Davis

7 hours ago, smg said:

Sadly Palace are no mugs these days either.

Yeah Palace are a team that I suggested had nothing to play for and wouldnt bother coming back

As it is I can see them finishing 8th, maybe even 7th, Roy's got them well drilled