Pre-Match Thread

lukesmith17

4 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

Not the team I would have gone with.

Honestly, I don't know what El Ghazi has to do to get dropped.

Maybe sign another winger? It’s not like we’re inundated with replacements out wide is it? 

hopefully his return to the left wing will help his form

Can we just please give Samatta some chances in front of goal tonight, I'd actually like to see what he's all about. 

Apart from a couple headers we've given him basically nothing 

Edited by Farlz

2 minutes ago, Eastie said:

Not keen on trez and el ghazi - rather gone 2 up top and grealish just  behind 

I'd quite like to see that two - I'm not sure we can do it while we have Konsa at full back though.

If we went 5-2-1-2 with that, we'd need either Elmo or Guilbert as the right wing back.

If we went 4-3-1-2 we'd need both full backs to be up the field almost all the time - I don't think Konsa can do that.

That said, I'm not sure Smith would risk it even if Guilbert were fit.

2 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

He has. Grealish is central and we've got a different striker starting and two wide wingers. 

Or did you mean he hasn't changed it to what you wanted? 

Well I certainly wouldn’t have played either al ghazi or trezeguet and I’d have gone 2 up top

HERE WE GO. Last chance saloon for me. I expect 3 points and a strong performance. Grealish through the middle is what I really wanted and he's delivered. Let's go Villa. 3-0.

1 minute ago, Genie said:

I like (as much as I can with our squad)

6-DC5-F2-F1-CDF4-4-B1-E-9797-A0-C94131-C

I'd guess it'll be Trez and Anwar as wide attacker and Jack played more in the middle

I hope anyway. 

2 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

He has. Grealish is central and we've got a different striker starting and two wide wingers. 

Or did you mean he hasn't changed it to what you wanted? 

Two ineffective wingers who rarely track back - should have gone grealish behind samatta and Davis and nakamba  in front of back 4 - rather Elmo at right back too - this looks a poor side who will roll over too easily 

• Like 1

No Hourihane at least, but can’t believe Hause remains/and Konsa at RB again.

At least Jack is central. No surprise Deano bottled playing two up top. Anyway, lose this and we’re down.

Edited by Cizzler

1 minute ago, sne said:

Our wide options are pathetic, but we already knew that.

Hopefully we can whip a few crosses in for Samatta to pounce on.

Konsa is not a RB

And Maximin is on that side. Luiz and ElGhazi are going to have to work hard to help him out. Rose gets forward too. 

As shit as I think Trez and El ghazi are, I think the lineup kinda makes sense as long as it's those two wide and Jack central. We need to get jack involved more, and if the one big striker up top is ever going to work we need two genuine wingers feeding him.

I'm still massively worried about this though

• Like 4

Just now, AV82 said:

HERE WE GO. Last chance saloon for me. I expect 3 points and a strong performance. Grealish through the middle is what I really wanted and he's delivered. Let's go Villa. 3-0.

I agree with the parts in bold. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

Elmo with Saint-Maxmim running at him would be terrifying. 

This is the whole approach smith has - too fearful of the opposition and not enough emphasis on what we can do -  I see why you like him 

So we've basically moved our only creative player out of a position where he has been getting goals and assists and it's since playing in that position that has earned him his current repution as one of the best performers in the league, into a position where earlier in the season his performances weren't anywhere near as good and he was hardly getting any goals or assists, and it was being questioned if he was even as good as people thought.

This clamour to play him in midfield doesn't make sense to me, and not sure if it's a good sign that Smith has gone along with it, seems a case of trying anything to see what happens.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, rbcuk said:

Well I certainly wouldn’t have played either al ghazi or trezeguet and I’d have gone 2 up top

With width from Elmo and Targett, I think it's an option, but tonight is such an important game I'd think he'll want to stick to a shape that the team are used to.