Pre-Match Thread

lukesmith17

1 minute ago, Eastie said:

Two ineffective wingers who rarely track back - should have gone grealish behind samatta and Davis and nakamba  in front of back 4 - rather Elmo at right back too - this looks a poor side who will roll over too easily 

I wouldn't mind that but you can't use the word should. 

DS is wedded to this formation. 

So Trez and AEG out wide and Jack wandering around Samatta? Good on paper but what happens when AEG and Trez get pinned back and Jack goes searching for the ball on the halfway line? 

I want to see us whip balls into the box for Samatta to get his head onto: shame AEG and Trez can’t deliver that killer cross. 

1 minute ago, Stevo985 said:

I'd guess it'll be Trez and Anwar as wide attacker and Jack played more in the middle

I hope anyway. 

Funnily enough my scores app (FotMob) had it that way, then they changed it to 3 up front. Not sure if they got an update about our formation. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, OutByEaster? said:

With width from Elmo and Targett, I think it's an option, but tonight is such an important game I'd think he'll want to stick to a shape that the team are used to. 

Need the wingers to deliver for once tonight , long overdue 

5 minutes ago, sne said:

Our wide options are pathetic, but we already knew that.

Hopefully we can whip a few crosses in for Samatta to pounce on.

Konsa is not a RB

To be fair to Konsa he’s be excellent there these last two games. I think Targett is good but Konsa was better than him against Chelsea.

1 minute ago, KevinRichardsonsMoustache said:

So Trez and AEG out wide and Jack wandering around Samatta? Good on paper but what happens when AEG and Trez get pinned back and Jack goes searching for the ball on the halfway line? 

I want to see us whip balls into the box for Samatta to get his head onto: shame AEG and Trez can’t deliver that killer cross. 

I see samatta being starved of any possession again 

• Sad 1

11 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

Not the team I would have gone with.

Honestly, I don't know what El Ghazi has to do to get dropped.

El Ghazi is awful.

Unfortunately he's our best wide option because Trezeguet is dog shit.

Wide attackers are by our worst area. With one up top it's a massive reason we lack a threat going forward.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, alreadyexists said:

To be fair to Konsa he’s be excellent there these last two games. I think Targett is good but Konsa was better than him against Chelsea.

I certainly didn’t think konsa was excellent v Chelsea ; he was a weak link , was ok v Sheffield 

3 minutes ago, Eastie said:

This is the whole approach smith has - too fearful of the opposition and not enough emphasis on what we can do -  I see why you like him 

That has never been true, sorry.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, alreadyexists said:

He's been much better at right back than I thought he'd be - but he doesn't offer a great deal bombing on down the right flank

Just now, DCJonah said:

I just hope we push Jack forward, give him more of a free role, I don't want to see him tracking men back to the edge of our area. 

He needs to have an influence tonight ,  can’t afford another off day 

Just now, Stevo985 said:

El Ghazi is awful.

Unfortunately he's our best wide option because Trezeguet is dog shit.

Wide attackers are by our worst area. With one up top it's a massive reason we lack a threat going forward.

Yep, it's easily been the biggest disappointment for me. 

It limits so much that we can do in the final 3rd. They lack physical attributes and decision making. Such a hindrance. 

• Like 1

Just now, DCJonah said:

Yep, it's easily been the biggest disappointment for me. 

It limits so much that we can do in the final 3rd. They lack physical attributes and decision making. Such a hindrance. 

It's probably irrational but Trezeguet is one of my least favourite villa players in a long time. He's absolute **** toilet.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, KevinRichardsonsMoustache said:

It means if Jack does drop deeper there won’t be a gaping hole on the LW.