Pre-Match Thread

lukesmith17

Bruce getting one over us would finalize the embarrassment of a season.

We just have to try something new.

........................Nyland.....................

Guilbert..Konsa..Mings..Targett

.......................Luiz............................

.............McGinn...Hourihane............

........................Jack...........................

.............Samatta..Davis....................

Game is just massive. Which is worrying. Think it’s time for two up top. I’d go for 3-5-2 (Elmo and Targett as wing backs) and throw Sammy and Kienan up top. 

Samatta is more mobile than Kienan so can hopefully cause problems. I’d have a middle of Luiz (holding) and McGinn and Jack taking it in turns to roam. 

Think we’ll need to be brave and take risks to get a win up there. There’s no crowd so will be interesting to see how we take to being away for the first time since the restart. Certainly can’t do any harm to not have 50k geordies, who now seem to despise us, screaming and booing us. 

This feels like a must win for me. Not enough games left and with the likes of Wolves, United and Liverpool in the horizon we need something special. It’s time to stand up and be counted and to try start proving all the doubters wrong, because even our own fans have largely written us off now. Understandably but still. This alone should be motivation enough for our team but we seek to have a team full of individuals and I don’t see the fight and desire or togetherness that I did last season. One win could change that. 

Edited by roonst83
  • Like 2

My side for this match would be:

Nyland

Konsa Hause Mings Targett

McGinn Luiz Nakamba

El Ghazi Davis Grealish

Subs: Reina, Taylor, Elmohamady, Trezeguet, Baston, Samatta, Jota, Vassilev

Edited by sir_gary_cahill

3 minutes ago, AV82 said:

Nyland

Elmo Konsa Mings Targett

Douglas McGinn

Davis Grealish El Ghazi

Samata

Plan B: Jota for AEG on 60. 2 up top.

I'd have Nakamba and Luiz as CDM. Jota in the 10 role with Jack and El Ghazi on the wing.

I think McGinn looks way off the pace and shouldn't be starting.

Basically given our fixtures this is a must win. Hard to see how that could happen given the players we have and our performances this season. We're the second worst team in the league. 

Edited by villa89

3-5-2 for me too. That gives us flexibility to make changes to both formation and personnel.  Have Luiz and Nakamba as the holders and Jack behind the front 2 like when Tommy Johnson used to play for us. Targett and Elmo as the full backs but tucking in to support the midfielders. We need to pack the midfield and then take out maximin so they are less effective. 😅

I believe we are down anyway but may aswell try and enjoy the remaining games.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, villalad21 said:

I'd have Nakamba and Luiz as CDM. Jota in the 10 role with Jack and El Ghazi on the wing.

I think McGinn looks way off the pace and shouldn't be starting.

I agree McGinn looks off the pace but I'd rather gamble on McGinn suddenly turning up over El Ghazi. If it wasn't for a splendid save McGinn could've had a goal against Sheff Utd.

The next three after this are really tough so if we are to have any chance to stay up we need a win here. 

I still think a diamond is the best formation we have right now as we have no real threat from the wings:

Reina

Elmo Konsa Mings Targett 

Luiz   

Hourihane                McGinn

Grealish

Samatta         Davis

I would go for the following (if Guilbert is fit);        

Nyland

Guilbert    Konsa  Mings   Targett

Luiz   Nakamba  McGinn          

Grealish       

Samatta      Davis

Subs; Reina, Elmo, Taylor, Hause, Hourihane, Jota, Trezeguet, El Ghazi, Vassilev

Need every one of them up for it right from kick off, they have had two games under their belt now and should be feeling fitter by each day, no crowd in this one should definitely work in our favour, we need to press high from the front and not give them f*****s an inch.

Get the ball down, get it to feet, pass and move, get Jack on the ball and lets dominate possession. We need it much more than they do, let's show it. We need to press as a team and defend as a team and we need Konsa and Mings to be switched on for the full 90 - they have serious pace up front and if we stop that threat we have a great chance. Time for Super John McGinn to find some form too - if he's knackered after 60 bring Jack back and bang Jota in the hole - yes he's a lightweight mother f***** but he can play a bit and to be honest the fact he hasn't played is the only reason why I'd bring him on - because the likes of AEG and Trez are constantly failing to perform.

Prediction - Newcastle 1 v 3 Villa 

UTV

• Like 1

I keep seeing the phrase "if we have any chance of staying up".

We're 19th, and we can't buy a win. We even lost twice to **** Bournemouth.

Just embrace relegation chaps, it's less stressful.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

Nyland

Elmo   Hause  Mings   Targett

Nakamba           

Trez     Grealish    Jota  

Samatta      Davis

We have to win, we have to score!