Pre-Match Thread

lukesmith17

Go 4-2-3-1 with Luiz and Nakamba sitting deep and an energetic three backing up Davis/Samatta. Pack the bench with three fresh attacking midfielders and a fresh forward so that we can switch as soon as the attacking four tire. we need to take the game to them and spend 75% of the game in their half putting them on the back foot.

Would Smith even contemplate that approach ? I wish !

10 hours ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

My side for this match would be:

Nyland

Konsa Hause Mings Targett

McGinn Luiz Nakamba

El Ghazi Davis Grealish

Subs: Reina, Taylor, Elmohamady, Trezeguet, Baston, Samatta, Jota, Vassilev

I would say this is a formation proven not to work, and therefore the team will look something like, if not exactly this. 

6 hours ago, KentVillan said:

Smith will regret not rotating key players. McGinn already looks spent...

Smith and the coaches get some of the blame, but McGinn is not helping himself. He's not kept himself in shape at all, and he needs to learn to pace himself and not run through walls for no reason.

I remember an interview with Gabby years ago where he said he'd not chase the ball unless it seemed worth it because O'Neill wanted his legs fresh so he could still have a burst of pace towards the end of the game. McGinn does the opposite. His workrate is often amazing...but he doesn't have the stamina to maintain it.

When was the last time McGinn was worth having on the pitch after the 60th? He's always trashed.

Only thng that gives me any hope for this game is that surely we must be due a win sooner or later after going eight games without a win.

Edited by useless

4-2-3-1 Try something different at least

......................Nyland..............

Guilbert..Konsa..Mings.Targett

..............Luiz..Nakamba...........

Jota.............Jack...........El Ghazi

....................Samatta...................

2 hours ago, Spoony said:

I would say this is a formation proven not to work, and therefore the team will look something like, if not exactly this. 

I think with a bit of perseverance it can work, we as fans just need to be a bit patient. I know it’s hard but we’re a young and inexperienced team at this level

2 hours ago, Davkaus said:

Smith and the coaches get some of the blame, but McGinn is not helping himself. He's not kept himself in shape at all, and he needs to learn to pace himself and not run through walls for no reason.

I remember an interview with Gabby years ago where he said he'd not chase the ball unless it seemed worth it because O'Neill wanted his legs fresh so he could still have a burst of pace towards the end of the game. McGinn does the opposite. His workrate is often amazing...but he doesn't have the stamina to maintain it.

When was the last time McGinn was worth having on the pitch after the 60th? He's always trashed.

You’re right, it’s definitely a problem with his game intelligence. But he’s just back from a long term injury and starting 2 games in 5 days, and wouldn’t be surprised if that becomes 3 games in 8 days. That’s madness.

He looks spent in the first half, and then carries on playing well past the point his stats must be dropping. They must have people telling them this mid game!? We can see it with our own eyes, but there must be numbers there to confirm his levels are dropping?

1 hour ago, villalad21 said:

Smith always beat Bruce...

This is a must win for Villa so we know the script already...

Must win. Even a draw isn't good enough I suspect. Have very little faith at this point. Always thought there was no way we could finish below a steve bruce side this league, and yet we're miles away. Embarrassing. 

People throw the phrase "must win" around like it's going out of fashion on this board. It's never usually a must win game.

But for once I agree with the phrase.

Lose tomorrow and we're down. We already need at least 3 wins. A win tomorrow and suddenly 2 wins out of 7 seems doable.
Lose tomorrow and we're looking at 3 or 4 wins from 7 games which I just can't see happening.

It's absolutely a must win game

• Like 4

TBH if I wasn't a die hard Villa fan, this is one of the games I wouldn't bother to watch (but I am so I will).

I expect Dean will play the same team, the same way and because they are not much better we will scrape a win. Then be told how much we have improved 

• Like 1