Pre Match Thread

GingerCollins29

10 hours ago, John said:

I've been looking at S24SU again. They really don't like us and do really expect to beat us easily. I hope they will get a rude awakening, it's shocking how one and three quarters worth of good seasons, has made them feel  that they are now Barcelona. I was particularly annoyed by this clown's "2 penneth" :angry::

https://www.s24su.com/forum/index.php?threads/villa-v-sufc-my-2-penneth.80069/ 

He's right though in many games we've started well and haven't taken the lead only for our heads to drop and then lose the match. We have to be committed for the whole game, obviously. I hope we are fit enough and have mental positivity to start getting some points on the board.

I just don't know what will happen and it's the beauty of the game.

2 hours ago, TRO said:

I never said i didn't support him.....I just question, some of his inner thoughts.

when he openly says he is not a results man.....that gives me concerns.

I am not going to blindly accept anything a manager does, when we are in 19 th place in the league.

If he was presiding over a team in the top six, I might reserve my opinions.

Let's be honest, you were  never keen on his appointment. It certainly doesn't come across that you have any faith in the manager. 

Edited by sheepyvillian

21 hours ago, stegzy said:

I’m really hoping for us to change it up a bit and try this

Reina

Guilbert.  Engels  Mings  Targett

Nakamba
             mcginn         Luiz   

Grealish

Samatta    Davis

I don’t thing the wingers have been good enough in there last few games and would love to see Grealish play there. I also think Davis and Samatta could work perfectly with each other.

I agree our wingers have been mostly poor this season. 

17 hours ago, TRO said:

So......what more motivation do we need?

They need to find motivation from somewhere as we have to start getting some wins or we’re down. We all know the issues, give teams multiple chances all season by being too open and we’ll rarely win and more often than not lose. We have conceded the most shots of any team in the league and quite frankly have to learn to control games and grind out wins as you’ve said yourself. I sincerely hope they’ve been working on this during lockdown. At least McGinn is available again.

2 minutes ago, VillaFaninLondon said:

They need to find motivation from somewhere as we have to start getting some wins or we’re down. We all know the issues, give teams multiple chances all season by being too open and we’ll rarely win and more often than not lose. We have conceded the most shots of any team in the league and quite frankly have to learn to control games and grind out wins as you’ve said yourself. I sincerely hope they’ve been working on this during lockdown. At least McGinn is available again.

Problem is our players will play with fear of relegation. Blades will play with the excitement and joy of fighting for top 4 against all odds. They will have no pressure, no fear.

This 1st game will be nerve wrecking. We need a good performance 

17 hours ago, sheepyvillian said:

Let's be honest, you were  never keen on his appointment. It certainly doesn't come across that you have any faith in the manager. 

I have my doubts, I can't deny that.

I have supported every manager we have appointed inc Billy McNeill and Alex McLeish...Managers like Graham Turner was just not good enough either, but I supported him against better judgment.

Its well documented, that I defended Steve Bruce, when he was castigated for things in my view was unfair and OTT.....but folk only want to read what they want to read....I was always frustrated with his style of football, even if I could understand why he did it.

They are poles apart in style.....but both managers have similar problems in as much their teams ,either can't score or can't defend....either way its just as bad in terms of results as the other.....no doubt the fans who judt rever in the spectacle alone, will have a different view.

Deans format is more entertaining despite being hugely frustrating.....but just as difficult to get results, as the evidence has shown.

so no, your view of my stance on Dean is wrong.....I cannot begin to tell you how much I want it to work for the guy, he and his family, love the club too( despite my inner thoughts of having doubts)....If he could somehow stop us haemorrhaging goals, and continue with his philosophy for the game I would be delighted.

2 hours ago, VillaFaninLondon said:

That line you quoted was in answer to another poster, who said the Sheff utd fans were being disrectful to our chances of beating them.

18 minutes ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

Surely the main focus during lockdown was to improve our defending.

Thinking about it though we could also improve our possession statistics to limit the amount of time our opponents have possession too.

Ditto.

Its our defending without the ball, is the worst....and heading ability at set pieces, is puny.

players like Jack have good ball retention, John  McGinn is not bad, on his game.

We have it in our cannon to play half decent attacking football, I believe it is the poor defending and lack of being able to hold onto leads that slowly broke down the team's confidence to the point we became more obsessed with not conceding than actually playing any meaningful football.

We have been given one more unexpected chance at getting our playing mentality right, we have McGinn back and a fitter Drinkwater (or at least most players will now be as lacking in fitness as he is), we don't really have any excuses.

On Paper our team is better than Sheffield united. Sadly Paper don't win football games.

Sheffield such a well oiled organised team, every player in their squad plays for the team/manager, every player knows their jobs . I guess we can look at the positives that Brighton drew 1-1 more recently. Win would take them to 5th which is an incredible achievement.  Going to be a tough game.  

19 hours ago, Nigel said:

Luiz from the bench please, he seems to be twice the player when coming on!

To be fair, it wouldn't be difficult,  he has been poor 90% of the games he's started.

He has looked better when the players are tired so what you say is a good point.

Wouldn't have him in the 1st 11 as no matter how we play, 1 Louis special,crumbles the team and they stop working for each other.

They say bad things come in threes - so far this year we've had a worldwide pandemic, my neighbours to the south (who happen to have more nukes than we have people) are imploding with a mad man at the helm, and on June 17th I exit my 30's.  The world's gone to shit.

4-1 Villa, after going a goal down Samatta grabs a hatrick. Davis gets the other.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Vancvillan said:

They say bad things come in threes - so far this year we've had a worldwide pandemic, my neighbours to the south (who happen to have more nukes than we have people) are imploding with a mad man at the helm, and on June 17th I exit my 30's.  The world's gone to shit.

4-1 Villa, after going a goal down Samatta grabs a hatrick. Davis gets the other.

At least the weed is legal up there.