Pre Match Thread

GingerCollins29

...............................Nyland............................

Guilbert..........Engels.......Mings........Targett

McGinn.......Nakamba......Drinky.......Grealish 

.................Davis...............Samatta..................

Bench; Reina, Elmo, Hause, Konsa, Ramsey, Vassilev, Luiz, ElGhazi, Trezeguet. 

4-4-2. Disciplined back 4, FBs instructed that first duty is to defend. We have the forward players to win the game if we don’t leave ourselves exposed and needing to score 3 or more to win it. I’m convinced that with Grealish, McGinn, Samatta, and Davis in the lineup we will cause problems and score. This game should present a great opportunity for Drinkwater to finally step up, no excuses about being behind with fitness now. If he fails to show then we’re down to Luiz, and he just doesn’t have the experience or grit that we require at the moment, imo.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, OxfordVillan said:

4-4-2. Disciplined back 4, FBs instructed that first duty is to defend. We have the forward players to win the game if we don’t leave ourselves exposed and needing to score 3 or more to win it. I’m convinced that with Grealish, McGinn, Samatta, and Davis in the lineup we will cause problems and score. This game should present a great opportunity for Drinkwater to finally step up, no excuses about being behind with fitness now. If he fails to show then we’re down to Luiz, and he just doesn’t have the experience or grit that we require at the moment, imo.

I think we'll use Drinky from the bench. Not sure why McGinn would play wide right? Has he played there before?
I do like the idea of Davis and Samatta - Dean likes 433 and Samatta has played well in the past in a 3 up top so he might play there, with Keinan through the middle. 

I don't know how you get Davis and Samatta on the pitch together with the deficiencies we have in other areas of the pitch. 
I'd love to see them play together but we struggle enough with three players in central midfield, let alone potentially two. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, villalad21 said:

I have a feeling Sheff Utd will be more up for it.

Why? Can you explain this ‘feeling’ I suspect this is another attention seeking ploy like this Reina plays c**p.

29 minutes ago, smg said:

Why? Can you explain this ‘feeling’ I suspect this is another attention seeking ploy like this Reina plays c**p.

If you had actually watch them play this season you'd share the feeling.

Every time i've watched them this season they've been working their a** off. The effort levels they put in is remarkable. A real team unit and togetherness Wilder has created.

Said it before. We are more likely to get anything out of the Arsenal game than this one.

I'd take a point right now. A win would be an incredible achievement.

Edited by villalad21
  • Like 1

I think last season they got a long way on a sort of collective confidence bred from hard work and organisation. The break won't change the organisation or the attitude, but it will have affected their confidence - when you're on a roll and playing at an unexpectedly high level, a break of a few months can be very dangerous. I think they'll be a little nervous and wondering if they're still going to have the momentum that's got them to where they are - the first goal will be massively important to them - if we score first we win.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, sheepyvillian said:

There's a surprise. 

Sadly, i don't think it is.

but we are all hoping for a surprise.....and that would be a win.

Edited by TRO

On 10/06/2020 at 14:28, OxfordVillan said:

Drinkwater shouldn't be anywhere near the starting XI from what I've seen.

• Like 1

I think if we can win this game it will set us up nicely for the run in.

I think its a really important game.

We really do have to be ready to work hard (amongst many other things ,obviously)

• Like 1

The break came at a good time for us.The last minute goal we conceded against Tottenham would have damaged confidence a lot.There has been a few last minute goals which have had long term affects on us Liverpool this season and Leeds last season and hopefully the long break may have given players time to forget.

Sheffield were on a fantastic run and would not have wanted to stop so this is a good opportunity.

Set pieces for me are absolutely crucial-if we keep conceding at corners we are going to be relegated.

It feels like the start of a new season maybe why I feel slightly optimistic before actually seeing us play.

Edited by Only2McInallys
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, TRO said:

Sadly, i don't think it is.

but we are all hoping for a surprise.....and that would be a win.

Good news, Steve Bruce is back in charge. You can be positive again 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

There's ten games left. There's six days until the next game. Yet I'm nervous as ****. This game is massive. 

Win, and confidence spreads. Lose, I just don't see how they pick themselves up (again). 

Pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeease don't **** it up Villa. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Don_Simon said:

There's ten games left. There's six days until the next game. Yet I'm nervous as ****. This game is massive. 

Win, and confidence spreads. Lose, I just don't see how they pick themselves up (again). 

Pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeease don't **** it up Villa. 

If we get a good performance and still lose we don't "f***" it up. That just means we lose to a better team.

Just hope we turn up and see a decent performance.

On 08/06/2020 at 11:19, OutByEaster? said:

I'm not sure on Reina - he doesn't look completely in shape and he'll be leaving in 22 days. I'm not sure the club will want to gamble this much on a player who might not be completely committed.

I'm with you here Reina just looks past it for me! Nyland is a great shot stopper but I still have flashbacks from the Championship season and get nervous every time he comes to collect a cross. I know Steer hasn't played in a while but last season he showed he can step up and handle the pressure plus he loves the Villa. For that reason I'd stick him between the posts!