Pre Match Thread

GingerCollins29

1 hour ago, TRO said:

I admire your passion....but it wasn't what was being discussed, you digressed.

Excuse me.  You said, I  agree with the manager, hence, my comment.that. I support him, you should give it a try.

Edited by sheepyvillian

I've been looking at S24SU again. They really don't like us and do really expect to beat us easily. I hope they will get a rude awakening, it's shocking how one and three quarters worth of good seasons, has made them feel  that they are now Barcelona. I was particularly annoyed by this clown's "2 penneth" :angry::

https://www.s24su.com/forum/index.php?threads/villa-v-sufc-my-2-penneth.80069/ 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, limpid said:

Football for me is the match day experience. I can't attend and there will be no crowd. I don't watch the reserves for the same reason - I simply have no interest in watching someone play FIFA.

Also, changing the rules during the season is simply wrong. The FA and FL have always refused to change rules mid season, regardless of reason. The sport might as well be replaced with FIFA now. Utterly pointless.

I understand. I’m very conflicted about the whole thing. From the rational part of my brain, there is still a global pandemic, the economy just plunged 20% and the world seems like it’s a complete mess... but the other half of my brain needs frivolous things to stay sane. I’ve missed football as an escape more than anything, and I am looking forward to it starting again, even though at this stage we shouldn’t even be talking about it coming back to be honest.

I’m not sure if what we see on Wednesday will resemble ‘football’ in the sense we know it, but it will still be our Villa boys fighting for survival in the top flight of the English game. I’m conflicted, ambivalent; excited, but angry about the lack of care and the importance that money has taken over people (as it always seems to do).

But with all that said... I suppose it comes down to hope; hope that football will distract me from ‘real’ things, hope that Villa can win football matches and hope that things are ‘getting back to normal’. That hope might well be misplaced but for now, I think it’s keeping me going.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, alreadyexists said:

I’m not sure if what we see on Wednesday will resemble ‘football’ in the sense we know it, but it will still be our Villa boys fighting for survival in the top flight of the English game. I’m conflicted, ambivalent; excited, but angry about the lack of care and the importance that money has taken over people (as it always seems to do).

They aren't playing the same sport as the first part of the season. Might as well toss a coin.

They've changed the rules in a way that favours the clubs who are used to playing in a passionless atmosphere. They've change the rules on substitutions in ways that favour the rich, established clubs with bigger squads. It's a bad precedent and shows that this is, yet again, just another mechanism to stop anyone else joining the "big team club".

And they are hoping that fans' tribal behaviour will provide sufficient cognitive bias to ignore it.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, limpid said:

They aren't playing the same sport as the first part of the season. Might as well toss a coin.

They've changed the rules in a way that favours the clubs who are used to playing in a passionless atmosphere. They've change the rules on substitutions in ways that favour the rich, established clubs with bigger squads. It's a bad precedent and shows that this is, yet again, just another mechanism to stop anyone else joining the "big team club".

And they are hoping that fans' tribal behaviour will provide sufficient cognitive bias to ignore it.

I agree with every point, except your last sentence; I don’t think it’s about irrationally ignoring things because of a tribal identity, I think it’s about accepting it for what it is and finding the small positives. I’m not saying I like any part of it, but I suppose I am saying that I will watch and try and enjoy it for what it is. So many things have been destroyed lately by the Covid pandemic, I won’t let it destroy the hope I have of my team winning (in whatever stupid circumstances it has to take place in the short term). Any abstinence I choose to pursue won’t change things, it will just mean I continue to miss something I dearly love, at no cost to ‘the man’ who has changed the rules.

I know I won’t change your mind, I’m just saying what I expect out of it all personally :) 

13 minutes ago, alreadyexists said:

I agree with every point, except your last sentence; I don’t think it’s about irrationally ignoring things because of a tribal identity, I think it’s about accepting it for what it is and finding the small positives. I’m not saying I like any part of it, but I suppose I am saying that I will watch and try and enjoy it for what it is. So many things have been destroyed lately by the Covid pandemic, I won’t let it destroy the hope I have of my team winning (in whatever stupid circumstances it has to take place in the short term). Any abstinence I choose to pursue won’t change things, it will just mean I continue to miss something I dearly love, at no cost to ‘the man’ who has changed the rules.

I know I won’t change your mind, I’m just saying what I expect out of it all personally :) 

I do understand, and I know that we aren't arguing. But you are condoning something you think is wrong. I find that hard.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, limpid said:

I do understand, and I know that we aren't arguing. But you are condoning something you think is wrong. I find that hard.

Yes... I find that hard too to be honest. How strange a position to be in. As I say, I’m very conflicted about the whole thing. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, John said:

I've been looking at S24SU again. They really don't like us and do really expect to beat us easily. I hope they will get a rude awakening, it's shocking how one and three quarters worth of good seasons, has made them feel  that they are now Barcelona. I was particularly annoyed by this clown's "2 penneth" :angry::

https://www.s24su.com/forum/index.php?threads/villa-v-sufc-my-2-penneth.80069/ 

They are a strange bunch. We were never as dismissing of the opposition like that when we were actually good and finishing in the top 6 regularly and we had much better players than they have who were being coveted by the top 4 teams. At the start of the season they would have just been happy to not finish 20th so it shows what success can do to clubs' fans. Then again, most opposition fans don't seem to like us - not sure why as we haven't been much good for a long while now. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jareth said:

The threat of relegation will make all our games meaningful - it'll be different but there is a hell of a lot riding on it. 

PPG could still happen.

They have to treat every game like it's gonna be the last one.

Edited by villalad21
  • Like 2

Got to play our fastest players in this one up front.

Solid tacklers, good header of the ball has to be priority for defence.

Midfielders the hardest working.

Sheffield utd have big lumps at the back and just get it forward quickly. 2 fast forwards will give them more problems than 1 up top who will just get taken out.

Davis and samata for me.

Midfield of mcginn jack nakamba el ghazi 

Defence of mings engels targett fred

Ideally steer in goal if no Heaton.

Cant afford slow play in this one.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, brummybloke said:

Cant afford slow play in this one.

In the summer heat...after not playing for 3 months?

If we try and go out at 100 miles and hour we will be in trouble towards the end. 

I hope this is being worked into the plan......god I hope theres a plan!

1 minute ago, Nigel said:

In the summer heat...after not playing for 3 months?

If we try and go out at 100 miles and hour we will be in trouble towards the end. 

I hope this is being worked into the plan......god I hope theres a plan!

Its not exactly 30c and against a larger stronger team, speed is the obvious counter. When we play slow players and they make mistakes we get over run. 

Luckily, our fastest players are all young, samatta being the oldest, and having come from Tanzania, I would hope he was use to playing in the sun and some heat.

Coming out full speed for 60 minutes and hoping that it gives us a lead against heavier older players then if some have burned out swap them over for subs.

If our squad has been given individual training programmes for the last 3 months and tactical guidance, it should be engrained mentally, they just need to put it into practice since being back in the training ground.

I just dont want to see the labouring shoulder shrugging mistake riddled play we have witnessed most of the season.

4 hours ago, limpid said:

Do you have a source for this claim?

No. But we are still living in the middle of a pandemic.

Anything could happen. There could be a new wave coming in the summer. Regardless, let's not go off topic.

Anyways. Blades will be big favorites, need to use that to our advantage.

15 hours ago, sheepyvillian said:

Excuse me.  You said, I  agree with the manager, hence, my comment.that. I support him, you should give it a try.

I never said i didn't support him.....I just question, some of his inner thoughts.

when he openly says he is not a results man.....that gives me concerns.

I am not going to blindly accept anything a manager does, when we are in 19 th place in the league.

If he was presiding over a team in the top six, I might reserve my opinions.

6 hours ago, VillaFaninLondon said:

They are a strange bunch. We were never as dismissing of the opposition like that when we were actually good and finishing in the top 6 regularly and we had much better players than they have who were being coveted by the top 4 teams. At the start of the season they would have just been happy to not finish 20th so it shows what success can do to clubs' fans. Then again, most opposition fans don't seem to like us - not sure why as we haven't been much good for a long while now. 

So......what more motivation do we need?

17 hours ago, stegzy said:

I’m really hoping for us to change it up a bit and try this

Reina

Guilbert.  Engels  Mings  Targett

Nakamba
             mcginn         Luiz   

Grealish

Samatta    Davis

I don’t thing the wingers have been good enough in there last few games and would love to see Grealish play there. I also think Davis and Samatta could work perfectly with each other.

I don't think the wingers have not been good enough for more than the last few games.

they are weak kneed.