Pre Match Thread

GingerCollins29

4 hours ago, villalad21 said:

There may not be the pressure from crowds, but the viewing figures could be potentially huge.

Could be one of the most watched fixtures in PL history.

And yet I don't care and won't be watching.

• Sad 1

48 minutes ago, John said:

I see that the club are doing an official programme for all six of our (behind-closed-doors) home games. They will be posted to arrive before each game. The total price which includes UK postage is £19.99. I think it's a good idea and I have placed my order. Here is the link to the full details on the club's web-site, for anyone that may be interested:

https://www.avfc.co.uk/News/2020/06/11/limited-edition-programmes    

Thanks for this John! I’m going to order now. 
I just like one off and unusual memorabilia so these will go in my collection (probably unopened!)

Edited by alreadyexists
  • Like 1

On 11/06/2020 at 12:14, OutByEaster? said:

I think last season they got a long way on a sort of collective confidence bred from hard work and organisation. The break won't change the organisation or the attitude, but it will have affected their confidence - when you're on a roll and playing at an unexpectedly high level, a break of a few months can be very dangerous. I think they'll be a little nervous and wondering if they're still going to have the momentum that's got them to where they are - the first goal will be massively important to them - if we score first we win.

Do we though? How many times have we bottled it this season after going a goal up! Really hoping we can break the top 6 curse next week. 

Heard it in a podcast last week Dean Smith before lock down was quoted saying he has many training ground footballers. Players that can play but can't necessarily handle the pressure of playing at Villa Park in front of that many passionate fans or in a relegation battle. Maybe no fans plays into our hands?

• Like 1

18 hours ago, avfcDJ said:

Good news, Steve Bruce is back in charge. You can be positive again 

I guess it is predictable you would have to  call on that to attempt to get your point across.

cheap shot.

Edited by TRO

7 hours ago, Danny B said:

Do we though? How many times have we bottled it this season after going a goal up! Really hoping we can break the top 6 curse next week. 

Heard it in a podcast last week Dean Smith before lock down was quoted saying he has many training ground footballers. Players that can play but can't necessarily handle the pressure of playing at Villa Park in front of that many passionate fans or in a relegation battle. Maybe no fans plays into our hands?

Well, it could be a point.....but that is some admission from him.....not sure where that takes us.

He also said "the team mirror the manager"......He also said he has never been a "results" person, despite it being a results business.....meaning its not his prime concern.

He said he is a "performances" person, ( I believe him)which subsequently bring results(in theory,).....sadly, they don't always....( I don't think we are the 19th worst team in the league, performance wise....... but results say we are)

The teams that win things are results first and performances second.....I think Dean has it the wrong way around.

They are interlinked, no doubt, but the best teams have to win ugly at times.....and they do, to get results, that's what makes them winners.

ps Sadly the league table is not devised by performances, its devised by results.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, TRO said:

The teams that win things are results first and performances second.....I think Dean has it the wrong way

I think Pep would disagree. I could never see him compromising his aesthetically, pleasing style for the sake of results. And his teams have won plenty of things.

• Confused 1

6 hours ago, Danny B said:

That's an interesting consideration. However, on the other hand, they know that there will be more people watching on television than usual so maybe they'll feel extra pressure from that. :s

1 minute ago, sheepyvillian said:

I think Pep would disagree. I could never see him compromising his aesthetically, pleasing style for the sake of results. And his teams have won plenty of things.

I disagree too.

He doesn't have too, because he is in the enviable position of having both, he makes it his business to do both.....but believe me that aesthetically pleasing style is no comfort to him without the title, if you think otherwise, we really do have to disagree. They have a wonderful side but even Pep will be aware, we have won the European cup and they haven't.

His teams are renowned for Results.....if you struggle for results, you don't hang around long enough, to develop anything and confidence drains like a bath tub.....The same with Liverpool, they can grind stuff out, when they are not mirroring the football version of the harlem globe trotters.....Teams on the other side don't always let you play, you have to be ready for that, if you are any good.

You need both of course.....I am just pointing out which way around I see it.....You obviously agree with the manager....fine.

9 minutes ago, robby b said:

That's an interesting consideration. However, on the other hand, they know that there will be more people watching on television than usual so maybe they'll feel extra pressure from that. :s

Tbh, I think there's a bit of a difference, you can't actually hear people from their living room. 

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, TRO said:

I disagree too.

He doesn't have too, because he is in the enviable position of having both, he makes it his business to do both.....but believe me that aesthetically pleasing style is no comfort to him without the title, if you think otherwise, we really do have to disagree. They have a wonderful side but even Pep will be aware, we have won the European cup and they haven't.

His teams are renowned for Results.....if you struggle for results, you don't hang around long enough, to develop anything and confidence drains like a bath tub.....The same with Liverpool, they can grind stuff out, when they are not mirroring the football version of the harlem globe trotters.....Teams on the other side don't always let you play, you have to be ready for that, if you are any good.

You need both of course.....I am just pointing out which way around I see it.....You obviously agree with the manager....fine.

I support the manager in his efforts to get Aston Villa back to a standard we can be proud of. He hasn't failed yet, so he has my full backing. 

In Deano, we trust.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, sheepyvillian said:

Tbh, I think there's a bit of a difference, you can't actually hear people from their living room. 

True. : D

Edited by robby b
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, alreadyexists said:

How come mate? 

Football for me is the match day experience. I can't attend and there will be no crowd. I don't watch the reserves for the same reason - I simply have no interest in watching someone play FIFA.

Also, changing the rules during the season is simply wrong. The FA and FL have always refused to change rules mid season, regardless of reason. The sport might as well be replaced with FIFA now. Utterly pointless.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, limpid said:

And yet I don't care and won't be watching.

Nor me. Might put radio on but that's as far as I go.

On 11/06/2020 at 12:14, OutByEaster? said:

I think last season they got a long way on a sort of collective confidence bred from hard work and organisation. The break won't change the organisation or the attitude, but it will have affected their confidence - when you're on a roll and playing at an unexpectedly high level, a break of a few months can be very dangerous. I think they'll be a little nervous and wondering if they're still going to have the momentum that's got them to where they are - the first goal will be massively important to them - if we score first we win.

I didn't know it was first goal wins. 

3 hours ago, sheepyvillian said:

I support the manager in his efforts to get Aston Villa back to a standard we can be proud of. He hasn't failed yet, so he has my full backing. 

In Deano, we trust.

I admire your passion....but it wasn't what was being discussed, you digressed.

2 hours ago, limpid said:

Football for me is the match day experience. I can't attend and there will be no crowd. I don't watch the reserves for the same reason - I simply have no interest in watching someone play FIFA.

Also, changing the rules during the season is simply wrong. The FA and FL have always refused to change rules mid season, regardless of reason. The sport might as well be replaced with FIFA now. Utterly pointless.

My sentiments too.....but i will watch it.

• Like 1

I’m really hoping for us to change it up a bit and try this

Reina

Guilbert.  Engels  Mings  Targett

Nakamba
             mcginn         Luiz   

Grealish

Samatta    Davis

I don’t thing the wingers have been good enough in there last few games and would love to see Grealish play there. I also think Davis and Samatta could work perfectly with each other.

• Like 2