Pre Match Thread

GingerCollins29

I've used the ignore function, but it keeps telling me that the person I've chosen to ignore has posted and that I've chosen to ignore it? And I can see said post in quotes of other people. Can I just not have anything from that person at all? So it's like they don't exist?

P.s Not you Zatman! 😜

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

40 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

I'm not sure on Reina - he doesn't look completely in shape and he'll be leaving in 22 days. I'm not sure the club will want to gamble this much on a player who might not be completely committed.

that's it, he had corona, hes come back, he'll be leaving soon, if Nyland has shown more in training then Nyland starts

followed by the usual "support" prematch and the post match cant type "I told you so" quick enough if he has a bad game / radio silence if he has a good game

it wont happen of course but the line up expectation for this match has to be that smith and his team know what they're doing and have been watching these guys train with various fitness levels post corona, if drinkwater starts ahead of McGinn then there will be a meltdown but the honest answer is Smith has seen something that we haven't, I don't see how you put a "should be" on this line up and then criticise smith when its not what you want

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

I'm not sure on Reina - he doesn't look completely in shape and he'll be leaving in 22 days. I'm not sure the club will want to gamble this much on a player who might not be completely committed.

He looks fine in the training videos on Twitter

We all go on about lack of "experience" yet you want to ditch the guy with hundreds of PL games under his belt to a guy who arrived from the 2nd tier in Germany. Some times this forum doesn't make a lot of sense to me.

Reina is playing. Would surprise me a lot if he didn't.

Edited by villalad21

22 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

We all go on about lack of "experience" yet you want to ditch the guy with hundreds of PL games under his belt to a guy who arrived from the 2nd tier in Germany. Some times this forum doesn't make a lot of sense to me.

Reina is playing. Would surprise me a lot if he didn't.

you play the one that is performing better in training

that's not hard to make sense of

Reina hasn't played well enough for us to be a guaranteed starter because of what he achieved elsewhere 5-10 years ago

danny drinkwater has a league winners medal in his cupboard does that mean he starts over Nakamba? your tune will soon change

26 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Reina is playing. Would surprise me a lot if he didn't

That Wayne Rooney, 100s of games IN The PL. Surely available for a move. Playing centre mid for derby. Let's get him in and stop playing that guy that arrived from a tinpot midtable SPL side.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

A win would take us out of the relegation places and up to 16th. This will be our first home game since 1982 to be played behind closed doors. We beat Besiktas 3-1 back then, another 3-1 win is exactly what we need now.  

Sheffield United were promoted alongside us last season. They have gained 18 more points than we have to date. Our target is and always was safety. Their target has now become European football. They have enjoyed a season that has already exceeded their most ambitious expectations. However, they aren't Manchester City and they aren't Liverpool, and on our day, we can win this one! After all, we gave them a 3-goal start at Villa Park last season and still got a point. Their fans have been suffering from a bad case of over confidence, as is demonstrated by the following three early comments taken from S2 4SU.com:

"We'll smash them" - "That’d be a great 3 points to restart with! Put us in 5th potentially" - "We've got to have the beating of these schmucks". A little annoying eh?  Let's burst their bubble!

Sheffield United's last win at Villa Park was recorded in 1966. Since then, we have won 7 home league games against them (the last one in 2007) and have drawn 5 (including the last 2). Overall, we have won 59 and have drawn 31, of the 127 league meetings that there have been between the two clubs. 

Our next ten games will decide whether we remain a Premier League club or return to the Championship, after just one season back in the top flight. A win from this, the second of our 11 cup final's this season, would give us a shot of much needed confidence, and of course three oh so precious points. We really do need to get something out of this game. Just win it for us Villa! 🤞   

Edited by John
  • Like 4

10 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

you play the one that is performing better in training

that's not hard to make sense of

Reina hasn't played well enough for us to be a guaranteed starter because of what he achieved elsewhere 5-10 years ago

danny drinkwater has a league winners medal in his cupboard does that mean he starts over Nakamba? your tune will soon change

Last time Nyland played in the league he let in 6. Got beaten to his near post twice.

Reina plays.

3 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Last time Nyland played in the league he let in 6. Got beaten to his near post twice.

Reina plays.

Reina conceded 4 with an absolute howler for the first. Worse than any mistake I remember nyland making.

1 minute ago, Mjvilla said:

Reina conceded 4 with an absolute howler for the first. Worse than any mistake I remember nyland making.

So you want to change a keeper every time they make a mistake?

When Nyland make a mistake it's time for Steer then?

I think the situation stands to benefit us in this match, for me it’s apparent that Sheffield United have been playing above themselves for some time now and they may find that motivation and passion a little less inspired without a crowd. 

Equally, I think we have players who may excel without the pressure of a crowd, Davis, El Ghazi and Guilbert come to mind - although I’m sure it won’t have escaped the players and club to consider that this might be the highest tv viewing figures of a Villa game on record.

But I think it benefits us, so now we have to use that platform to go out and perform, having McGinn back will be massive, I think he instantly improves the whole side not just the midfield. I’d be keen to see a Davis / Samatta partnership up top.

• Like 4

58 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

I think the situation stands to benefit us in this match, for me it’s apparent that Sheffield United have been playing above themselves for some time now and they may find that motivation and passion a little less inspired without a crowd. 

Equally, I think we have players who may excel without the pressure of a crowd, Davis, El Ghazi and Guilbert come to mind - although I’m sure it won’t have escaped the players and club to consider that this might be the highest tv viewing figures of a Villa game on record.

But I think it benefits us, so now we have to use that platform to go out and perform, having McGinn back will be massive, I think he instantly improves the whole side not just the midfield. I’d be keen to see a Davis / Samatta partnership up top.

I agree. It’ll likely be as big a game as any PL game viewing figures in recent times.

I also think, while Sheffield have got Europe to play for to a certain extent, I would like to think our players and team, should/would be pretty much more motivated that any other by being so close to the drop and so close to getting out of it.

Might stick a fiver on Samatta to score, I’ve got a feeling :) 

3 hours ago, alreadyexists said:

Might stick a fiver on Samatta to score, I’ve got a feeling :) 

A Hat-trick? ;)  He's 16/1 to score two or more with Coral (bit of a mean price isn't it?) 

32 minutes ago, John said:

A Hat-trick? ;)  He's 16/1 to score two or more with Coral (bit of a mean price isn't it?) 

Damn that’s tempting. Samatta first to score and Villa win 2-1 is 40/1... it’s like printing money!

• Haha 2