Pre Match Thread

GingerCollins29

28 minutes ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

Has this been confirmed now for Villa Park and Behind Closed Doors?

Nothing is confirmed at all. No info about fixtures at the OS nor BBC.

So, a match day twenty.

For me, I know it's early doors, but.....

------------------------------Nyland-------------------------------

Guilbert-------Engels------------Mings-------Targett

--------------------Nakamba------Luiz-----------------------

El Ghazi----------------McGinn-----------------Grealish

----------------------------Samatta------------------------------

Subs; Steer, Elmohamady, Hause, Konsa, Hourihane, Trezeguet, Lansbury, Davis, Vassilev

With no place on the extended bench for Drinkwater, Taylor, Jota or any of the kids.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

I would love not to play 433. Love it. Or the 343 when we have two lost souls in midfield.

What would you play? I think the personnel we have are balanced for this 4-2-3-1/4-3-3/4-1-4-1 that we usually play. 

Would you go with two up top, or five at the back?

1 minute ago, OutByEaster? said:

What would you play? I think the personnel we have are balanced for this 4-2-3-1/4-3-3/4-1-4-1 that we usually play. 

Would you go with two up top, or five at the back?

Steer

Konsa                Engels            Mings

Fred                                Nakamba                        Targett

McGinn                               Grealish

El Ghazi     Samatta

4231 or 352. I think we would really suit a 352 bearing in mind none of our full backs can defend and everything revolves around getting Grealish the ball. It's hard one to pick up though, we've needed an alternative setup for over a year. I don't think that 343 was something Smith was ever comfortable with.

I'll be stunned if we don't play 433.

2 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

I'll be stunned if we don't play 433.

Which is interesting, because I'm not sure we do play 4-3-3. I think we're more a 4-2-3-1 or 4-1-4-1, depending on the central midfield pairings for the most part.

I like your 5-3-2/3-5-2 line up, but I think I'd drop El Ghazi out of it for either for Davis as a second striker or Luiz as another midfielder in the middle of the park - probably the latter.

1 minute ago, OutByEaster? said:

Which is interesting, because I'm not sure we do play 4-3-3. I think we're more a 4-2-3-1 or 4-1-4-1, depending on the central midfield pairings for the most part.

I like your 5-3-2/3-5-2 line up, but I think I'd drop El Ghazi out of it for either for Davis as a second striker or Luiz as another midfielder in the middle of the park - probably the latter.

Well up for Davis coming into the team to smash stuff. He could punch some great holes for McGinn scuttling or Grealish gliding through. Also well up for 3412 shape with McGinn deeper alongside Luiz/Nakamba, but my concern with Grealish as a 10 that they can put 5 men round him and crowd him out.

To my eye, we've only ever played 4231 once under Smith and it was the first half of Swansea away last season. It was very noticeable how little McGinn was getting forward and we switched it at half time back to the usual shape with Grealish and McGinn as 8s.

It's Smith's biggest weakness by a mile for me. He wants to only play the Liverpool/Man City/2011 Barcelona 433 formation and until Samatta arrived none of our forwards were good enough for it. They couldn't guard the ball well enough and the two advanced midfielders played so far forward it left the holding player, usually poor Marvellous, to try and mark seven players.

With Grealish being moved out left and McGinn being injured, it's horribly exposed how bad the rest of our players are. It's possible they might fall into a 4231 I suppose, but I'm certain that's not the setup they're meant to be in. I always think Marvellous tries to hold position and do what he's "supposed" to do even when he's not quite good enough. But at times with Luiz and every minute of every game with Hourihane, they hide away and move to where they can't receive the ball so they don't have to deal with playing in a match.

• Like 1

I think I’d go very similar to @OutByEaster? but in a  4-1-4-1 like this.

Nyland

Guilbert        Engels    Mings      Targett

Nakamba

El Ghazi      Luiz        McGinn      Jack

Samatta

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Reina is playing, end of discussion.

I'd be amazed if he didn't. Hundreds of Premier League games under his belt, world cup winner. Nyland.. came from 2 Bundlesliga. I know who i'd rather trust.

Yet a few months ago you said Nyland was better keeper than Heaton.

Mr flip flop again 🙄

• Haha 2