Pre Match Thread

GingerCollins29

48 minutes ago, alreadyexists said:

I wonder if we can make a 442 work?

Reina

Guilbert      Engels     Mings     Targett

El Ghazi      McGinn   Nakamba   Grealish

Samatta         Davis

I can’t see it happening to be honest, but it would be good to see us play with more than one upfront for a change. 

You would surely make a diamond midfield with grealish at the top. That would suit us a lot better imo.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, maqroll said:

Sheff Utd are good. I envy their success so far this season. But this will feel like the start of a new season almost for these teams. Can Deano make a case for putting PREPARED back on our badge? We shall see.

I predicted 2-2. Samatta looked like a decent signing before the stoppage. Hopefully we can bang in a couple. It's the scattershot defense I'm worried about. 

I think this is a game we have to win. Win and we're out of the relegation zone with the same games played as all of our rivals. That gives us a massive boost and renewed momentum. There needs to have been a huge analysis and correction of what has been going wrong all season during the last 3 months if our management, staff and players all want us to be in this league next season. They turned it around last season and they need to turn it around this season. 

32 minutes ago, VillaFaninLondon said:

I think this is a game we have to win. Win and we're out of the relegation zone with the same games played as all of our rivals. That gives us a massive boost and renewed momentum. There needs to have been a huge analysis and correction of what has been going wrong all season during the last 3 months if our management, staff and players all want us to be in this league next season. They turned it around last season and they need to turn it around this season. 

Last season was mostly down to Jacks return. Before that we won 2/12. Nothing really changed, it was the same tactics and system. We got a world class player in the team that made us dangerous, opposition sat back allowing us to defend from the front.

That won't cut it this season. Dean has to be able to be tactically sound and change his ways. We will face better players every week, play his way and we are down.

We're in a dog fight right now. It's not the time to play pretty, cute football. Do that and we'll get mauled.

Edited by villalad21
  • Like 1

so **** nervous. i'd go

Nyland

Guilbert    Engels     Mings   Targett

Marvelous

Trez     SJM        Hourihane        Jack

Samagoal

• Like 1

1 hour ago, villalad21 said:

Last season was mostly down to Jacks return. Before that we won 2/12. Nothing really changed, it was the same tactics and system. We got a world class player in the team that made us dangerous, opposition sat back allowing us to defend from the front.

That won't cut it this season. Dean has to be able to be tactically sound and change his ways. We will face better players every week, play his way and we are down.

We're in a dog fight right now. It's not the time to play pretty, cute football. Do that and we'll get mauled.

It's not even like we play pretty, cute football. Our possession stats are pretty low over the course of the season and I'd say our style of play is more haphazard than cute. There doesn't seem to be any plan whatsoever, just go out and try to express yourself or something along those lines. The majority of the games we've won (other than Newcastle and Watford) have been more by the opposition not taking their chances and us taking ours than us controlling the game. Go back and look at Everton, Norwich (twice), Brighton, Burnley - all games where the result could have been very different on another day.

It does appear that Dean can't adapt and that is of course a big worry. However, I do think McGinn coming back will improve us both defensively and offensively and the squad must have gelled better by now. All you can do as a Villa fan is hope and pray. 

• Like 1

I agree with what others have said. We need to look at this as a new season. A second chance for the players and management to get things right. To beat a team like Sheffield were are going to have to out work them and I think if we do that we can win this. I think I'd take a draw right now. 

I'd really like to see us go with a diamond. 

Reina

Elmo Engels Mings Targett

Marv

McGinn                 Hourihane

Grealish

Samatta       Davis

It would mean McGinn and Hourihane would have to work their socks off to help out the full backs against United's wingbacks but going forward it would give us some options and we know Elmo and Targett can deliver crosses for the two up front. I think we need to press their centre back in possession and try win it back in their half. Davis gets the nod from me for his physicality and I think Samatta has a goal in him. 

Why am I so nervous? I had all but given up hope after Leicester. Nerves were a thing of the past. Now I am wracked with them!!! Damn you Covid! Where in almost all aspects of my life you have brought nothing but darkness but in football you have provided a chink of hope! My I hate you!!!!

10 hours ago, alreadyexists said:

Stats

Sheff Utd rank the lowest for shots this season, with only 286, which is just over 10 per game on average. They seem to have one nilled many of their wins.  If we can keep a clean sheet, then I think we stand a chance of points.

Clean sheets is key to our survival, not sure if we can do it, or if the manager will try to.

1-0 is all we need.....suddenly that is not such a big ask.......its all about the nil.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, villalad21 said:

We would get overrun in midfield.

4-4-2 isn't really much of a thing anymore. Football has moved on.

We get overrun in midfield, irrespective of the formation.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, TRO said:

We get overrun in midfield, irrespective of the formation.

We have. But that got more to do with the instructions rather than the formation.

If Dean is telling his midfielders to get in the box we'll leave ourselves exposed whenever we lose the ball.

Also i can't see how removing a midfielder is helping us keeping hold of the ball more.

16 hours ago, M_Afro said:

Why am I so nervous? I had all but given up hope after Leicester. Nerves were a thing of the past. Now I am wracked with them!!! Damn you Covid! Where in almost all aspects of my life you have brought nothing but darkness but in football you have provided a chink of hope! My I hate you!!!!

Don't stress it.  The hope'll be dashed again soon enough.

Blades aren't the type of team we are suited playing against.

Won't give us time on the ball and time to settle. They will be in our faces, not give us time on the ball. Full of energy and spirit.

I think playing out from the back, fullbacks and midfielders bombing forward is suicidal. Just stay organized. Don't take unnecessary risk. Just keep it simple and don't complicate things.

20 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

We have. But that got more to do with the instructions rather than the formation.

If Dean is telling his midfielders to get in the box we'll leave ourselves exposed whenever we lose the ball.

Also i can't see how removing a midfielder is helping us keeping hold of the ball more.

Yeah, I'm unsure why everyone goes on about playing 4-4-2. It's not like Davis is going to bang in goals (he scored his last league goal in 2017 when we were in the Championship), though I'll admit he is reasonable at holding up the ball and is physically strong. Pretty much every team in the Prem other than maybe Burnley play with one up front.

Personally, I'd go like this tomorrow:

...............................Reina..................................

Guilbert.........Engels.........Mings.........Targett

.............................Nakamba.............................

..................McGinn...........Grealish..................

Trez....................................................El Ghazi

............................Samatta...............................

I'm certain many won't agree with that, especially those that dislike Trezeguet and Reina. But I think there is goals in that team and I don't trust our other fit GKs at this level (Nyland and Steer). For me, Jack must play in the middle. I think we benefit as a team more when he's there. That team is similar to the one that started the season, where our results were noticeably better.  It's just a shame Heaton isn't fit and registered. 

Reading all these comments about being extremely nervous and the like. I get it and thought I would be the same if we would get underway again. However, I'm not. It barely crosses my mind we have a game tomorrow.

It's on sky, I would usually be doing all I could to make sure I could watch it and telling the mrs I'll be watching the villa. I haven't, I won't watch. The only way I'll see the result is if a friend or family message in celebration or piss taking. It's not football as I know it and I don't like it. 

I can't be the only one?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Mjvilla said:

Reading all these comments about being extremely nervous and the like. I get it and thought I would be the same if we would get underway again. However, I'm not. It barely crosses my mind we have a game tomorrow.

It's on sky, I would usually be doing all I could to make sure I could watch it and telling the mrs I'll be watching the villa. I haven't, I won't watch. The only way I'll see the result is if a friend or family message in celebration or piss taking. It's not football as I know it and I don't like it. 

I can't be the only one?

Yeah, it sucks. I'll probably watch but it will not be the same. We're one of the most disadvantaged teams caught up in all of this in that we have 60% of our remaining games at home with absolutely no advantage. I hope we sue the corporate money grabbers at the top if we end up relegated.