Pre-Match Thread

John

On 08/06/2020 at 20:57, alreadyexists said:

Hang on, this thread should be in the ‘Cup Final X of Y’ format too.

Yes I think not enough of us realise just how important this stuff is to the team's performance.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 25/05/2020 at 12:49, sir_gary_cahill said:

My side for this match would be:     Heaton

Guilbert                Engels                        Mings      Targett   

McGinn                  Nakamba       Drinkwater

El Ghazi                 Samatta       Grealish (c) 

Subs:  Nyland, Elmohamady, Konsa, Taylor, Luiz, Trezeguet, Wesley

The fact that Drinkwater didn't make the bench for Sheffield leads me to believe that he will be returned to Chelsea at the end of the month.

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, gurru991 said:

The fact that Drinkwater didn't make the bench for Sheffield leads me to believe that he will be returned to Chelsea at the end of the month.

Sadly, I think you’re right, hopefully when the Summer transfer window opens, Smith can find a younger and sober version of Drinkwater 

Nyland

Konsa  Hause  Mings  Targett

Nakamba

McGinn               Hourihane

Grealish

Samatta            Davis

Assuming Guilbert and Engels are still out injured.

Allow Grealish to play a free role so we benefit from him through the middle and out wide.

Bring Luiz on fresh for McGinn second half.

Edited by wilko154
  • Like 1

50 minutes ago, wilko154 said:

Nyland

Konsa  Hause  Mings  Targett

Nakamba

McGinn               Hourihane

Grealish

Samatta            Davis

Assuming Guilbert and Engels are still out injured.

Allow Grealish to play a free role so we benefit from him through the middle and out wide.

Bring Luiz on fresh for McGinn second half.

Samatta doesn't deserve to start after that pathetic display against Blades.

And the diamond doesn't provide the width we need offensively and defensively.

Edited by villalad21

20 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Samatta doesn't deserve to start after that pathetic display against Blades.

And the diamond doesn't provide the width we need offensively and defensively.

Samatta had 20 minutes to make an impact, it’s always difficult coming off the bench, let alone in yesterday’s conditions.

We say we need the width but we create absolutely nothing with it. Jack is shoehorned out there and sees very little of the ball, not enough to be making an impact. Our wide options other than Grealish are pathetic.

11 minutes ago, wilko154 said:

Samatta had 20 minutes to make an impact, it’s always difficult coming off the bench, let alone in yesterday’s conditions.

We say we need the width but we create absolutely nothing with it. Jack is shoehorned out there and sees very little of the ball, not enough to be making an impact. Our wide options other than Grealish are pathetic.

We looked good defensively and were creating chances against a top 6 chasing Sheffield United.

You don't change formation after a decent performance.

There's no reason to change the team against Chelsea. We got more match fitness than them. They got no clue what to expect.

Unleash Keinan against their frail defence and let's see what happens!

I wonder if Smith looks at Lampard with a hint of jealously, given that he tactically outsmarted Frank in the playoffs, only for Lamps to swan off and get the Chelsea job because he was a club legend.Down the years we have won a few home games v Chelsea so a return to that tradition would be most welcome.

• Like 3

I think the fact that we've already played a game will help us big time in terms of rhyme and match fitness. I expect them to beat us only by a few goals rather than a give us a total wiping 

Edited by messi11

Although Chelsea outclassed is for the most part of the return fixture, we went into half time 1-1 and still had chances to win the game. We obviously lost 2-1, but if we can tighten up defensively, we do still have a chance of beating them. We could do with Tammy being out, he was touch and go for the last game but played, and inevitably scored and set up Mount for the winner. 

I'm not pretending I do anything different in regards to developing preconceived ideas and assumptions about what's to come for Villa, but it's downright dumbfounding to read how negatively inclined some posters are about a fixture which has yet to be played, and how positively certain we can be about disappointment, despite knowing the ins and outs of the challenges this team, our team, faced coming into this season, and how hard the challenge was going to be, yet Smith and the team have mustered a season in which we have competed against the best of them, albeit to ultimately fall short or face defeat in the outcomes we get more often than not. But we're still here, survival is possible. And while it's possible we can dream. I'd like to exercise that ability and wonder if we'll see a Grealish masterclass which creates moments where we score, or it could be a Hourihane volley like we saw against Blades which instead of being knocked back into play by a reflex save from the keeper, goes in. Maybe Targett plays in Davis again and his deserving effort on goal gets the better of the keeper. Maybe McGinn gets on the end of a Grealish pass and belts one in from the top of the box, which again, very nearly happened against the Blades. And it wouldn't be the first time we've seen a rocket from him. I'm inclined to hope for the best until disappointment rears it's ugly head and Abraham scores the winner. Or Davis tackles Nyland who's trying to receive a back pass across goal like the one against Blades, and knocks in an own goal that proves our downfall. We're no where near the finished article, but we have our moments. Don't count out Chelsea being one.

Edited by A'Villan
  • Like 3

Same team for me (especially if Engels and Guilbert aren't available for selection). 

No one had shockers last night, let's keep a settled look to the side and try to build on the Sheff Utd game and let's try get a little more cohesion to our play. 

I think we mixed it up quite well with the longer balls up to Keinan, more of the same and let's get the midfielders high up the field supporting play and feeding off him. Whilst Davis is occupying their centre halves and we're attacking it obviously lessens our chances of conceding, 'best form of defence..' and all that.

Hopefully we can catch them cold and if we cut out the mistakes, who knows... 

UTV 

Won't happen but I'd go 352 trying to get it right for the Newcastle game.

Steer

Konsa            Mings            Hause

Elmo       McGinn       Nakamba       Grealish       Targett

Davis            Samatta

This is the shape we need to get Grealish more involved. That's crucial. And it's the only thing that's going to keep us up.

• Like 1

Think we'll keep the same backline as Wednesday. Going to me a much bigger test than facing Sheffield static strikers, thought of Hause v likes of Huson Odoi/Willian/Pulisic etc is a bit concerning.

I was confident we'd give them a game in mid March despite our horrible form as Chelsea had loads of injuries at that point. Think Tammy, Hudson Odoi, Kante, Kovacic and Hudson odoi would've all missed the game injured but now they're all back although Kante's only been training a week so perhaps he won't start. Jorginho is suspended.

Hopefully the big factor is we'll have 90 minutes under our belt so will last the pace a little better. Vital we don't concede an early goal. Chelsea aren't that great away from home. Lost at Newcastle and drew at Brighton and Bournemouth so far in 2020.

I'll go for an optimistic 1-1 although we're rapidly getting to the stage where even plucky draws aren't going to be enough.

• Like 1