Pre-Match Thread

John

2 hours ago, villalad21 said:

Was hoping for a United win would have put more pressure and nerves on Chelsea :( 

Actually was talking to a Chelsea fan on another forum and he says the opposite is true. Every weekend the likes of Man. United and Spurs don't win then Chelsea don't win and so they never really increase the gap they have in 4th to those two. Yet when they start to close in on Chelsea they start winning aswell.

Just checked and the last time in league one of Man. United/Chelsea won and the other lost and vice versa (and not involving them playing each other) was Boxing day. Hopefully a good omen for this weekend.

We play our latest cup final on Sunday and we need to win one before too long. A win would be likely to take us out of the bottom three and a point would keep us in it, due to our inferior goal difference. We should have the edge in match fitness, but this could well be our most difficult remaining home game. Both sides have something to play for (unfortunately). They have a top four place to secure and will be a very tough nut to crack, but a win here would give us a tremendous, and an unexpected boost for our remaining cup finals.

We last beat our visitors at Villa Park in 2014 and they beat us by the odd goal, earlier this season at Stamford Bridge. Overall, we have won 51 and have drawn 32 of the 139 games, that there have been between the two clubs. A win would be tremendous, but a draw would not be the end of all hope against this class of opposition. We would go into our next game unbeaten since the restart and there are still nine games to come, from which we can hope to gather two or three wins. Nevertheless, we go for all three points, failing that, just get something out of this game Villa!  🤞     

Edited by John
  • Like 2

I should have been watching this from a pub in Mojacar - Always win when I am on holiday. 

Edit I was in a bar in Benalmadena against The Poo last year and got bared at the end. But we were winning for 85 mins 

Edited by Robtaylor200
  • Like 1

A quick perusal of ChelseaTalk and a few seem to think that this game is important in their run in, and a potential banana skin.

Fingers crossed that’s the way it pans out. Also saw one comment saying that they were playing a team at the bottom of the table, what could go wrong!? It’s funny how even recently successful team fans have that ‘just our luck’ approach to games like I often feel.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, alreadyexists said:

A quick perusal of ChelseaTalk and a few seem to think that this game is important in their run in, and a potential banana skin.

Fingers crossed that’s the way it pans out. Also saw one comment saying that they were playing a team at the bottom of the table, what could go wrong!? It’s funny how even recently successful team fans have that ‘just our luck’ approach to games like I often feel.

Hoping ain't worth a dam.

They've got key players missing. We are more match fit than them. Our defensive structure has improved. We got this.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, villalad21 said:

They've got key players missing. We are more match fit than them. Our defensive structure has improved. We got this.

I must say I like this new positive Villalad. It seemed to coincide with your avatar change? 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, alreadyexists said:

I must say I like this new positive Villalad. It seemed to coincide with your avatar change? 

New evidence can always change my mind about things. I'm not living in an echo chamber.

There are teams i am fearful of. Chelsea is not one of them. Defensively they are frail.

I just hope Keinan starts. Samatta looked absolutely woeful.

Edited by villalad21
  • Like 2

50 minutes ago, alreadyexists said:

Also hilariously, one poster even said that Azpiliqueta (or however it’s spelled) is just a solid squad player and nothing more. Lol.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, villalad21 said:

We've clashed, a lot, but 👏

we need a win, if not here then definitely against newcastle. However, a point against this chelsea side would still be valuable, and hard enough to obtain as it is. Here's hoping we get a shedload of luck on our side. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Delphinho123 said:

There must be a way we can play without wingers. I’m so fed up of the dross served up by el Ghazi and Trezeguet. 

I hope so playing with Davis we need these wingers to get into goal scoring positions, which unfortunately they  never do , unless we learn score from corners were in trouble 

If Davis is starting I’d be tempted to play Elmo as his crossing is excellent. Might not have the legs to go for more than 60mins or even just the first half. But no point taking Davis off and putting Elmo on to then cross to Samatta. It’s a mismatch.

• Like 2