Pre-Match Thread

John

Having been embarrassed by the team in third place on Monday, we now face the team immediately behind them at Villa Park in front of the television cameras again on Saturday at 17.30.

They will start the game as strong favourites, to be the second team to do a league double against us within a week. We need to start picking up something from games like this one, before it becomes too late, for it to matter. The positives are that we are at home and so we will have the backing of our fans throughout the game, we might also possibly see the return of John McGinn. If we can perhaps start picking up opponents at dead balls, rather than allow them unchallenged headers and VAR gives us a decision for once, then we might have a slim chance.

Their last game was a 4-0 win, ours was a 0-4 defeat. We have lost our last four games and now look at risk of making a late losing run towards relegation, to compare with the late winning run that clinched our promotion last season. We last beat Chelsea at Villa Park six years ago, they have won on their subsequent two visits. Overall, we have won 51 and have drawn 32, of the 139 league games, that there have been between the two clubs.

A win could see us climb out of the bottom three and a draw would stop the rot. Getting anything, will be far from easy. Just get stuck in Villa and don’t lose this one!       

Chelsea are starting to hit some form and we seem to be sinking without a trace. What stood out for me most against Leicester was our aimless passing, we seemed to hack it out of defense for the entire 90mins. I think I would go back to 5 at the back and try to get the full backs going forward rather than back. I also think Hause is strong in the air and might help us at set pieces. There were so many terrible performances in the last game you would drop everyone given the chance. I think only Nakemba can hold his head high after last night. I think I would go with this:

Reina

Elmo Konsa Mings Hause Targett

Nakemba

Grealish          McGinn

Davis Samatta

I know McGinn won't start. I suppose Douglas would slot in there, I assume Drinkwater can't play against his owners. 

All I can see is another loss here!

I have a feeling this could get ugly. Chelsea look so much better with Alonso and Giroud back in the team and I think they'll pummel us. The fans will turn on the team and that will be that. 

The team I'd play:

Reina

Elmo, Engels, Mings, Targett

El Ghazi  Nakamba Luiz Samatta

Jack

Davis

Reina will be dropped.

Can see Davis starting given he's had two sub cameos now. Samatta can play wide can't he so think that's worth doing. Rest is shuffling on titanic type selections.

Drinkwater can't play so will be much the same central midfield....

48 hours ago I thought we'd win this but difficult to believe we'll come anywhere close to winning this given the two results.

2-0 Chelsea and another slow relegation death.

Edited by VillaChris

An absolute spanking here will make it difficult for the owners to stick with Smith. A worse result may be another "plucky' 1 or 2 goal margin late defeat.

Either way, this will be comfortable for Chelsea. Even if McGinn is fit enough to start (which is a risk in itself) we'll still be stuck playing either Luiz or Hourihane. 

Nyland

Guilbert     Engels      Mings       Targett

Nakamba    McGinn 

El Ghazi     Grealish     Samatta

Davis

Reina, Elmo, Taylor, Konsa, Luiz, Hourihane, Trezeguet

2 hours ago, VillaChris said:

Reina will be dropped.

Can see Davis starting given he's had two sub cameos now. Samatta can play wide can't he so think that's worth doing. Rest is shuffling on titanic type selections.

Drinkwater can't play so will be much the same central midfield....

48 hours ago I thought we'd win this but difficult to believe we'll come anywhere close to winning this given the two results.

2-0 Chelsea and another slow relegation death.

Ordinarily I'd say Smith would give Reina the chance to attone, and that's why he's in my team selection above.  But you may be right.  It was such a horrendous lapse in judgement that it may get him dumped.  Davis up top and Samatta wide is an interesting one.  At this point I'm up for trying anything (insert Kenneth).

2 hours ago, supermon said:

This is going to get me pelters but...

I'd drop Guilbert and Targett for Elmo and Taylor

Come at me BRO!!

Dropping two players who can't defend for two players that can isn't the worst idea in the world...

Either:
5-3-2
------------------------------------Nyland-------------------------------------
Guilbert--------Konsa-----Mings-----Engels------------Targett
-------------------Grealish---Nakamba---McGinn
-----------------------------Davis----Samatta-----------------------------
or:
4-4-2
------------------------------------Nyland--------------------------------------
Guilbert-----------Mings---------------Engels----------------Targett
Elmo----------------Grealish----------Nakamba------------McGinn
---------------------------Davis-----------Samatta---------------------------

Davis has to play and we absolutely need to make sure powderpuff players like Luiz, Hourihane, El Ghazi and Trezeguet are nowhere near the team. We need fight and we need to play long ball football to Davis and Samatta. 

Nyland

Elmo Engles Mings Target

Nakamba      

Trez     McGinn  Jack  Ghazi

Samatta

everything else is just wrong.   

21 hours ago, jscuk2004 said:

Nyland

Elmo Engles Mings Target

Nakamba      

Trez     McGinn  Jack  Ghazi

Samatta

everything else is just wrong.   

Guilbert instead of Elmo and you’re on to a winner and I also think Greallish’s most effective position is on the wing as an almost inside forward with license to roam

Nyland

Guilbert Engels Mings Targett

Nakamba McGinn Luiz

El Ghazi Samatta Grealish

Bench: Reina, Elmohamady, Konsa, Taylor,Lansbury, Trezeguet, Davis

That’s our strongest team from our current squad in my opinion, edit- just seen the news about Drinkwater 

Edited by sir_gary_cahill