Carney Chukwuemeka

Villan4Life

35 minutes ago, Pinebro said:

Made the bench 😮

He will do very well there. It’s a shame he wasn’t given a pathway here by Gerrard… all it would have taken would have been a few more appearances off the bench when we were bringing on Ashley Young to play in midfield instead…

• Confused 1

I don't think there's anything the club or Gerrard could have done to have kept him, or it wouldn't have mattered if he had have played more games last season, for most youngsters if Chelsea come in for them and offer what they've offered Chukwuemeka, then they will leave, it's just the way it is at the moment.

Chelsea have been winning trophies the whole of his life, whereas we haven't even finished top half for most of his life, only way we would have had a chance to keep him was if he was a Villa fan.

We have to improve our standing in the game, or we will always be in danger of losing our best players.

Edited by useless
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, penguin said:

Nonsense.

Most minutes of players under 19 year old in the league last year, double the minutes of the 2nd highest. 3rd highest minutes of all players under 20.

The move had absolutely 0 to do with his game time here.

Agree to disagree. I think a few starts and a few more appearances off the bench and he would have stayed. It was hardly something that came out of nowhere, for two years we had been hearing he wanted to play more if he was going to sign a contract and his actions seem totally consistent with that.

Your point on how many minutes other players played is irrelevant to his (accurate or not) opinion of his own talent, and clearly he compares himself to the likes of Bellingham not the average PL teenager. But it’s all done with now anyway I guess and we will see if he was right or our manager was over the next couple of years.

1 hour ago, Adam2003 said:

Agree to disagree. I think a few starts and a few more appearances off the bench and he would have stayed. It was hardly something that came out of nowhere, for two years we had been hearing he wanted to play more if he was going to sign a contract and his actions seem totally consistent with that.

Your point on how many minutes other players played is irrelevant to his (accurate or not) opinion of his own talent, and clearly he compares himself to the likes of Bellingham not the average PL teenager. But it’s all done with now anyway I guess and we will see if he was right or our manager was over the next couple of years.

I'd certainly agree it appears he has a very high opinion of himself.

Of course the comparison is relevant, he got 1st in minutes of ALL players under 19 and 3rd of ALL players under 20 in the Premier League, not just the average ones. Perhaps he was the best under 19 year old in the league last year, he also got the most minutes by a significant margin.

Not seeing how we are going to see if one of them is "right" either, Gerrard demonstrably fulfilled any reasonable requirement of minutes for him particularly if you take into perspective these minutes were primarily for his developmental benefit, not the teams at that point in time for the most part, and of course in comparison to his peers.

We will see if gets more first team Premier League minutes in relation to his peers in the relative age ranges this year with Chelsea than he did with us. I know where my money is.

Edited by penguin

3 hours ago, penguin said:

Not seeing how we are going to see if one of them is "right" either, Gerrard demonstrably fulfilled any reasonable requirement of minutes for him particularly if you take into perspective these minutes were primarily for his developmental benefit, not the teams at that point in time for the most part, and of course in comparison to his peers.

It’s all about judgment isn’t it? If he turns out to be a £100m player rather than a £20m one (which of course he already has been judged to be) then we will think it would have been smarter to give an ‘unreasonable’ amount of minutes to him in hope of benefitting from those talents for ten years rather than ten games. It’s the same as (young) Pogba leaving United for Juve or Pique leaving for Barcelona… or indeed Gary Cahill being sold by MON. The ‘developmental benefit’ is not a one-way street if you keep the player.

Anyway fingers crossed we have a situation where he has a good career and we don’t miss him and everyone is happy and thinks £20m was a good deal all round. I just personally suspect he will turn out very special. But I’m not a scout.

He played for their U21s against Man City yesterday.

Chelsea can be a good move for him if they're going to give him game time or send him on loan at a decent level.

But no good him playing U21 football, needs to be playing at an higher level than that as that's no test for him at all.

17 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

What a great move for his career, I hope he is enjoying his time there. 😂

People genuinely thought he was going to play much?

I guess they'll have him around first team squad for six months to assess him in training and odd sub cameo and then he'll be loaned out in January as he's behind all of Kante, Jorginho, Kovacic, Mount, Gallagher currently which is obviously no shock at all.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

People genuinely thought he was going to play much?

I guess they'll have him around first team squad for six months to assess him in training and odd sub cameo and then he'll be loaned out in January as he's behind all of Kante, Jorginho, Kovacic, Mount, Gallagher currently which is obviously no shock at all.

I'm sure they told him this prior to signing, an I guess he didn't care, as he was taking a bigger salary and signed to a big 6 club.

• Like 1

Â